The Student Room Group

Does the first year of uni matter?

People always say it doesn’t matter but does this apply if you’re looking to become a solicitor. I am studying a non law degree but I know law students have to apply to internships/open days with their first year grades but I do now know if this applies to non-law students.
Original post by Confusionn
People always say it doesn’t matter but does this apply if you’re looking to become a solicitor. I am studying a non law degree but I know law students have to apply to internships/open days with their first year grades but I do now know if this applies to non-law students.

Every year is important
For example, do you think year 7 is important? You dont start gcse’s till year 9 or 10. It is important for building a foundation of knowledge as well as character ( a person who works hard will continue to work hard)
Original post by Confusionn

Hi @Confusionn,

Every year of your degree matters because it helps to build the foundation knowledge and study skills that will be essential later on. In terms of grades, then your first year matters less than your other years because it doesn't impact your end grade at university. When applying to Solicitor roles your degree will be more important as a mark than each year, however, they often will ask down for a break down of your grades for all years of university and it is important that you can prove you are consistent in both academic ability and work ethic. Of course, if there is a mitigating factor for why one year has worse grades they will definitely consider this but it is a good idea to do the best that you can in each year to give yourself the best chance in the future :smile:

Sophie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending