The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxbridge : The Bright Side

Scroll to see replies

This thread has calmed me down so much; I'm bookmarking it! I've anxiously waiting to see if I have an interview (and if I get an interview, then I'll be where you guys were last year) and I'm going to keep this as a testament to the fact that, should I get rejected, I'm still important and I will still have a bright future. I hope all of you that didn't get in are enjoying your respective universities, and I salute you for having the courage to apply somewhere when you felt you had so much at risk in doing it. :yes:
Reply 161
Original post by hogwartian1993
This thread has calmed me down so much; I'm bookmarking it! I've anxiously waiting to see if I have an interview (and if I get an interview, then I'll be where you guys were last year) and I'm going to keep this as a testament to the fact that, should I get rejected, I'm still important and I will still have a bright future. I hope all of you that didn't get in are enjoying your respective universities, and I salute you for having the courage to apply somewhere when you felt you had so much at risk in doing it. :yes:

Couldn't have said it any better!
Reply 162
Oxbridge didn't come out of nowhere. There must have been centuries of effort by the students and staff to put the Oxbridge group of Universities in the current prestigious positions they're in.
You guys could make the universities you're attending in that very same position! :P

Good luck!
(P.S. I'm not an applicant yet. I truly do hope to attend Oxford/Cambridge to study Medicine, and that is the target, but reading this thread has informed me there's a world beyond..)

Edit: To be honest, I'm not THAT concerned about what university I go to - I've heard all Medical schools are roughly the same - I just want to get the grades at AS/A Level!
(edited 11 years ago)
This thread still isn't helping me. I didn't even want to go to Cambridge to do Engineering because I didn't like the course, didn't want to try and fit 11 weeks work into 8 weeks (or however it works out,) I do want to go catered, and I don't want to live in Cambridge. I would have probably ( I admit after many many sleepless nights and arguments with my parents ) rejected an offer if given one. I even have my first choice offer. Yet somehow, I selfishly feel broken that I didn't get to interview stage. I was the first person in the year to get a rejection, and my grades were far better than the standard offer. Why do I feel so awful?
Original post by jumblehunter
This thread still isn't helping me. I didn't even want to go to Cambridge to do Engineering because I didn't like the course, didn't want to try and fit 11 weeks work into 8 weeks (or however it works out,) I do want to go catered, and I don't want to live in Cambridge. I would have probably ( I admit after many many sleepless nights and arguments with my parents ) rejected an offer if given one. I even have my first choice offer. Yet somehow, I selfishly feel broken that I didn't get to interview stage. I was the first person in the year to get a rejection, and my grades were far better than the standard offer. Why do I feel so awful?

Because rejection is rejection, which ever way you look at it. It doesn't matter if its from a voluntary job at Oxfam, or being denied an interview at Cambridge. It will always hurt. Some part of you must have cared, even if you didn't want to admit it to yourself. It takes guts to apply to the best university in the world, even if you don't want to get in. Its almost like the ultimate test of your ability (and faith in yourself) academically. But just because you didn't get an interview doesn't mean you aren't one of the most academically gifted. Cambridge has too many applicants; its simple. Imagine if they interviewed each and every person that applied, it'd be a waste of so many peoples time and an at huge expense of the university and the applicants. At least this way you don't have to mess around organising interviews and travelling around for a university that you didn't want to go to. If you're confused/hurt, ask them why they gave you the rejection. They owe you that.
Good luck for your future and all that you do; you sound like you're going to be brilliant. :smile: x
Reply 165
I got rejected for Veterinary Medicine on Friday. Even though I knew I had a minuscule chance of even being called for an interview, and being told by my teachers not to apply I was devastated when I got my rejection email. The other 6 people who applied for oxbridge from my school all have interviews so I feel like a massive idiot. My GCSE's aren't brilliant (3A*'s, 4A's and 4B's) nor are my AS's (AABB) but I feel like I'm rapidly getting better at my subjects. I really really badly wanted to go to Cambridge just because it felt like home when I visited there in March and I feel I would really do well with the supervisions. I've been considering reapplying next year regardless of whether I get any offers from my 3 other Veterinary Science choices. Would doing this be irrational and stupid? I just feel that perhaps if I got my predicted grades (A*AAA) and then applied I may stand a better chance.
Original post by Plebbles
I got rejected for Veterinary Medicine on Friday. Even though I knew I had a minuscule chance of even being called for an interview, and being told by my teachers not to apply I was devastated when I got my rejection email. The other 6 people who applied for oxbridge from my school all have interviews so I feel like a massive idiot. My GCSE's aren't brilliant (3A*'s, 4A's and 4B's) nor are my AS's (AABB) but I feel like I'm rapidly getting better at my subjects. I really really badly wanted to go to Cambridge just because it felt like home when I visited there in March and I feel I would really do well with the supervisions. I've been considering reapplying next year regardless of whether I get any offers from my 3 other Veterinary Science choices. Would doing this be irrational and stupid? I just feel that perhaps if I got my predicted grades (A*AAA) and then applied I may stand a better chance.

When you are getting much better grades, still have alternatives you can live with (don't focus too much on one university, regardless whichone) and have plans for a fulfilling gap year: Why not? It is your live and you have only one.
Reply 167
Original post by Plebbles

The general advice is that to be competitive for a post A2 application for a science course you need 3A*. Less than 10% of entants for science courses have A*AA or less.
There is no bright side. Being rejected means you are unintelligent, lazy and not good enough. You will be doomed to live another futile life.

EDIT: I guess people loathe the truth. Sorry, but the truth hurts. Don't worry, I know it too. I will probably be rejected and kill myself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ISS2508
At the end of the day we were all good enough to get an interview

80% of all applicants get an interview. It really is no special achievement.

...one of my interviewers said I had a lot of ambition.

They probably say that to everyone...
Miserablelogic, I think you're the most miserably sad person here.
Reply 171
Original post by hogwartian1993
Because rejection is rejection, which ever way you look at it. It doesn't matter if its from a voluntary job at Oxfam, or being denied an interview at Cambridge. It will always hurt. Some part of you must have cared, even if you didn't want to admit it to yourself. It takes guts to apply to the best university in the world, even if you don't want to get in. Its almost like the ultimate test of your ability (and faith in yourself) academically. But just because you didn't get an interview doesn't mean you aren't one of the most academically gifted. Cambridge has too many applicants; its simple. Imagine if they interviewed each and every person that applied, it'd be a waste of so many peoples time and an at huge expense of the university and the applicants. At least this way you don't have to mess around organising interviews and travelling around for a university that you didn't want to go to. If you're confused/hurt, ask them why they gave you the rejection. They owe you that.
Good luck for your future and all that you do; you sound like you're going to be brilliant. :smile: x

Yeah but I didn't give a **** when I was rejected from Durham. I was mildly annoyed at the time because I was confident that I would get in but I totally forgot about it after a day. I don't think it was the rejection itself that made the previous poster sad it was all the hype surrounding Oxbridge that did that.
Reply 172
I got rejected from Oxford last year. In Durham now and loving every minute :smile:
Reply 173
I got rejected from oxford, it was a retail position.
Why people care?

I didn't apply there
Love Imperial
Got a graduate job offer in my 2nd year
Original post by jumblehunter

Is it because you feel like you didn't get a chance to "prove yourself"? Even if you didn't take up Cambridge's offer, an offer from one of the best universities in the world is something of a "badge of honour" at sixth form because it shows that people who are really good think you have the potential to be really good too.

However, it's really not worth beating yourself up over. Oxbridge receive a lot of good applicants who, quite frankly, are all probably as good as each other at sixth form/on paper because A Levels aren't a perfect indicator of your potential - they focus pretty heavily on rote learning and tend to have a syllabus with clearly defined limits in a way which university courses don't. Consequently, there are more applicants than there are interview invites (because it wouldn't be feasible to interview everyone), and more interviewees than places.

Naturally I don't know enough about you to say why you weren't successful, but it might be worth getting in touch with your college to ask for feedback if you didn't receive any in the letter. However, it's worth bearing in mind that a rejection doesn't mean that there's anything "wrong" with you (clearly not, since you've got fantastic actual/predicted grades!), but just that there were other candidates who looked better on paper. As someone currently at Oxbridge who's just been applying for jobs, I can tell you that Cambridge really isn't the be-all and end-all when it comes to being successful - I'm sure you'll do brilliantly wherever you choose to study. :hugs:

Anyway, chin up, and feel free to PM me if you'd like. :smile:
The main reason I'm getting down from this is mainly my image. I've been numerously embarassed and had blows to my self-esteem by many peopls that claim to be "smarter". I was simply 'one of the smartest' in High School and sub-average amongst the higher than average, and now in Sixth Form they've all gone to more 'prestigious' centers. But now everyone has labelled me as smartest in Sixth Form (which of course, is subjective. I may be getting the best grades in Mathematics so far, but from a general viewpoint I'm rather out of my league to many other folk.)

But I know, comparatively, I'm not special. There were those that back in High School just would not recognise my opinions, and state their superiority, because I BELIEVE in Astrology and Spirituality, I LIKE religion, I am a pacifist, a communist and have strong opinion on the human race's initiative.

And I just can't argue. They'll probably go to Oxbridge, whilst I've been rejected. And it's a simple statement that I can't argue that they aren't superior. I feel completely unable to say anything to stand against any of their points of view.

I liked Cambridge. It looked nice and so did the course, but I did want it to show that my opinions were valid and that no one should think they are better than me...

(Note: Sorry if you take offense, I do not refer to that I am better than everyone, but rather we are all part of a subjective spectrum and that no one is superior to anyone, no matter what; everyone has some quality they excel in. I stand by that principle and I find it distasteful the Atheists who proclaim Christianity as false and vice versa; the scientific minds versus the manual labourers; the millionaires and fat cats running business, thinking they are above the common man.)
Reply 177
I can't help but feel incredibly angry and frustrated about the whole thing, that I have just wasted three months of my life!

And it's incredibly difficult in a household where my mum and sister went to oxford and my dad and uncle went to cambridge and where all the family friends are oxbridge graduates to not feel a great sense of embarrassment + anger with them for persuading me to go through with the proccess which I was absolutely terrified of.
Original post by FredrickTrott
Subject-wise, Yes you are correct, however taking in all the factors, such as living, workload, social life (Although Cambridge has quite a good one), there are a few Uni's equivalent if not slightly better than Oxbridge.

The Universities of London, are very sought after Uni's they are placed in a great town, Jobs are relatively easy to get, Workload is alot lighter than that of Oxbridge, and if you're applying just for the name brand, then you shouldn't really by applying in the first place.

But thats just one example, in Britain, if you go over to America, Technology Uni's like MIT, Caltech, Stanford dwarf Cambridge in Prestige.

Exactly the point I've made to many people in the past.

If you're the right kind of person then they are the best Universities in the country, but for the vast majority of students, including those who would be academic enough to get a place there, it's simply no the right place.
Reply 179
Original post by niagrant
I can't help but feel incredibly angry and frustrated about the whole thing, that I have just wasted three months of my life!

And it's incredibly difficult in a household where my mum and sister went to oxford and my dad and uncle went to cambridge and where all the family friends are oxbridge graduates to not feel a great sense of embarrassment + anger with them for persuading me to go through with the proccess which I was absolutely terrified of.
That is difficult, I can see, but you haven't wasted your time. You will have learned from the experience - if nothing else, how to cope gracefully with not getting what you want/other people expected you to get. This is the sort of life-skill you will need in the workplace: it's much more difficult to deal with setbacks and disappointment if you've never experienced them, as many high-fliers don't for a surprisingly long time. When it does happen (which it always does) they can find it remarkably difficult to adjust.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Much better to have given it a whirl and not to have quite got to where you wanted to be, than to not even try and spend the rest of your life wondering "what if?" - or worse, having other people wonder the same. In your case, you can say, "Well, I tried, it didn't work out, I'm moving on now to what I really want to do". I'm sure you've got other opportunities at really good unis and that you'll make the most of those instead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending