The Student Room Group

The Worst Players ever?

Scroll to see replies

Being a hardcore fan of a lower league team, I can name a few:

Andrew Wright: He had been touted as a player with good potential for a couple years, so come last season when he going to be our first choice right back, all eyes where on him. He was terrible, would either fall over or just boot the ball out of play even if he could've just passed it. Useless. He plays for Morcambe now I think, unluckily for them...

Jonathon Forte: Basically Heskey but not as good in the air. A record of 9 goals in 100 games for us says it all. Even worse when you consider 2 of them were penalties and one of them was a shot that was already going in, but basically hit him in the knee and counted as his goal! :biggrin:

Josh Lillis: Had been backup 'keeper to the legendary Joe Murphy for 5 years, and in the few games he played in that time seemed like a good young keeper. After we got relegated to League 1, and with Joe going to Coventry, the consensus was Josh was going to be our number one keeper for the season. He spent the first 1/3 of the season being terrible, never coming out for crosses or communicating to the defence. I'd love to say he had a strong point, but he didn't. Had been replaced by a 20 year old by November.

Tomi Ameobi: Shola's much less talented brother. Played about 10 games on loan for us, had 1 shot on target. Awful player.

Nicky Ajose: Joined us on loan last season, he was terrible. Like Ameobi but more comical.
(edited 11 years ago)
Cherno Samba
Bebe
Reply 43
Victor Valdes, only rated by some people because of the team he's in.
Original post by Izzyeviel
chamakh. Every time i've seen him play, he's been utter dross. He makes the Arsenal defense look good.

Arguably one of the most frustrating players to watch in the EPL
Original post by ScunnyLadAdz
Being a hardcore fan of a lower league team, I can name a few:

Andrew Wright: He had been touted as a player with good potential for a couple years, so come last season when he going to be our first choice right back, all eyes where on him. He was terrible, would either fall over or just boot the ball out of play even if he could've just passed it. Useless. He plays for Morcambe now I think, unluckily for them...

Jonathon Forte: Basically Heskey but not as good in the air. A record of 9 goals in 100 games for us says it all. Even worse when you consider 2 of them were penalties and one of them was a shot that was already going in, but basically hit him in the knee and counted as his goal! :biggrin:

Josh Lillis: Had been backup 'keeper to the legendary Joe Murphy for
5 years, and in the few games he played in that time seemed like a good
young keeper. After we got relegated to League 1, and with Joe going to
Coventry, the consensus was Josh was going to be our number one keeper
for the season. He spent the first 1/3 of the season being terrible, never
coming out for crosses or communicating to the defence. I'd love to say he
had a strong point, but he didn't. Had been replaced by a 20 year old by
November.

Tomi Ameobi: Shola's much less talented brother. Played about 10
games on loan for us, had 1 shot on target. Awful player.

Nicky Ajose: Joined us on loan last season, he was terrible. Like
Ameobi but more comical.

Is this Scunthorpe FC?
Reply 46
Ivan Campo
Reply 47
Original post by cambio wechsel
Alternatively, and while a disappointment at Manchester United, he was one of the finest players of his generation.

Honours

Estudiantes

Primera B Nacional Argentina (1): 1995
Primera División (2): 2006 Apertura, 2010 Apertura
Copa Libertadores (1): 2009

Parma

Coppa Italia (1): 1998–99
UEFA Cup (1): 1998–99

Lazio

UEFA Super Cup (1): 1999
Serie A (1): 1999–2000
Coppa Italia (1): 1999–2000
Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2000

Manchester United

Premier League (1): 2002–03

Internazionale

Coppa Italia (2): 2004–05, 2005–06
Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2005
Serie A (1): 2005–06

Individual

1999 UEFA Super Cup Man of the Match
European Sports Media Team of the Year (1): 1999-00
Premier League Player of the Month (1): September 2001
FIFA 100
Argentine Player of the Year (2): 2006, 2009
South American Footballer of the Year (2): 2008, 2009
2009 Copa Libertadores Finals Man of the Match
Copa Libertadores Most Valuable Player (1): 2009
FIFA Club World Cup Silver Ball (1): 2009
Konex Award - Diploma of Merit Footballer of the Decade 2001-2010 (1): 2011

That, I was blissfully unaware of!

In some ways a bit like Diego Forlan then, absolutely abysmal at United but strong overseas. I have actually been at Old Trafford when Forlan scored though and you could see something was there but he just failed to show it most (99%) of the time!
Lee Bowyer and Titus Bramble
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Is this Scunthorpe FC?

We're called Scunthorpe United. :wink:
Original post by ScunnyLadAdz
We're called Scunthorpe United. :wink:

Damn your right! My bad, I remember when Nigel Adkins used to manage them he led to League 1 titles.
and a play-off trophy
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Damn your right! My bad, I remember when Nigel Adkins used to manage them he led to League 1 titles.

Aye, those were the days, back when Nigel was our manager. We achieved so much under him, from winning League One to getting to Wembley twice in a year. We were the envy of every small club in the world, then our chairman bottled it, sold/released some of our best players without even trying to keep them and bringing in crap replacements. We've been on a downward spiral ever since the end of the 2009/10 season... :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by Kyle~
Ivan Campo

i have seen many worse players than him.
Reply 54
definetly gervinho
Squillaci. Gervinho.
United have had a fair few shockers over the years. Kleberson, the Djemba twins, Obertan, Taibi, Bosnich, Bebe (Ali Dia of the 21st century), Prunier, Dong, Tosic, Bellion. Veron was a flop considering how much he cost but was hardly in the same league as this lot.

Original post by Panda Bear
I've always reserved this title for Ade Akinbiyi.

Him and Trevor Benjamin for Leicester has to be the worst strike partnership in the history of the Premier League.
Original post by AkhiMohamed
Lee Bowyer and Titus Bramble

Lee Bowyer was one of the best midfielders in Europe at Leeds. Beast.
I really do not know how Tresor Kandol managed about 60 appearances for Leeds. He was terrible.
Andriy Voronin.

Could never figure out how he became a professional. Serious.

Quick Reply

Latest