The Student Room Group

3 and a half years for setting someone on fire

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2297053/Yob-killed-autistic-teenager-setting-18th-birthday-party-teasing-gay.html

Is there any legal students etc. out there, who can please explain to me how a judge, can give someone just 3 and a half years in jail for this?

What is going on!:angry:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not a law student but it was 'manslaughter' where it means he killed him by accident (or had diminished responsibilities, such as drugs or mental breakdown). Yes, it was a heinous crime and I hope the yob suffers for the rest of his life. How people like this can be in our society is horrendous.

I'm actually doubting if it was manslaughter, tbh. From the descriptions, it sounds like he got outright murdered.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm really lost for words. What kind of democracy do we live in? Three and a half years for deep-frying a helpless lonely man?

Hopefully he'll drop the soap in the shower a couple of times and he'll see what's what.
Bare in mind, he'll do less than half of that if he keeps his nose clean.
I am naturally very suspicious of anything the Daily Mail says but this sounds like a horrific crime.

A poor vulnerable 18 year old invited a group of supposedly friendly individuals back to his residence. They then took advantage of him by encouraging him to demean himself and subsequently the young man was encouraged to take all his clothes off by the predatory onlookers. Then one of the men who has been invited in; douses him in tanning oil and lights it on fire (knowing full well the flammability of the oil). According to the article not one of the onlookers attempted to intervene and the paramedics were only called when a concerned neighbour looked in.

This if correct is absolutely disgusting, that guy should be looking at life not 3 1/2 years. And the other people should also be in the spotlight as they did nothing to help
Reply 5
A prison officer told me all these teen "tough guy" types break down on their first night in prison and cry out for mummy all night long.
Reply 6
Original post by Michaelj
I'm not a law student but it was 'manslaughter' where it means he killed him by accident (or had diminished responsibilities, such as drugs or mental breakdown). Yes, it was a heinous crime and I hope the yob suffers for the rest of his life. How people like this can be in our society is horrendous.

I'm actually doubting if it was manslaughter, tbh. From the descriptions, it sounds like he got outright murdered.

Obviously it's not murder.

intent to kill or cause GBH? he didn't have the intention.
Original post by arichmond64
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2297053/Yob-killed-autistic-teenager-setting-18th-birthday-party-teasing-gay.html

Is there any legal students etc. out there, who can please explain to me how a judge, can give someone just 3 and a half years in jail for this?

What is going on!:angry:

It makes me sick. I never wish anything bad upon anyone but this azzhole I hope will suffer somehow when released.
Reply 8
poor chap

What was running through that guys head when he decided it would be fun to do that?
Reply 9
Original post by tehforum
Obviously it's not murder.

intent to kill or cause GBH? he didn't have the intention.

Either that or he lacks common sense. Covering his whole body in oil and then setting him on fire? What did he think would happen?
Reply 10
Original post by Michaelj
Either that or he lacks common sense. Covering his whole body in oil and then setting him on fire? What did he think would happen?

It is laughable, how can a judge, sit there and think to himself this kid only deserves 3 and a half years (2 years) in jail for killing someone.

I wish they could ask these judges who give out these laughable sentences why they think the offenders don't deserve more.
Reply 11
3 and a half years? While Julian Assange gets possibly life for advocating what he thought was freedom of the press
Reply 12
I'm lost for words.. This is absolutely disgusting.

"Judge Rodger Keen QC jailed Sheard for three years and six months telling him: 'At his 18th birthday party you destroyed Steven's life.'"

Destroyed his life? He killed him. And by the sounds of it, he did it on purpose.
He killed someone and is getting three and a half years for it? (And chances are, he won't even serve the full sentence)
I don't care whether he meant to kill him or not, you don't take a lighter or whatever to someone as a joke, he clearly meant to cause serious harm. Well, that or he's extremely stupid.
I'd like to know what the hell the judge was thinking to be honest..
How you can kill an innocent person and get away with under five years in prison is beyond me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Ridiculous. You can get 18 months for essentially lying about a few measly points on your license but you ONLY GET 42 EFFING MONTHS for setting someone on fire? I don't care if that guy was under the influence of drugs or whatever, he should be getting a life sentence without parole.
that is ridiculous. This country is going down the drain. Has been for years. Cant trust the police to handle anything. Have to handle it yourself, if you know what i mean.
Reply 15
In these cases, I really want to be in the court room to get to know the full story.

It's only when cases get to the Court of Appeal or higher then I can read the judgment in full.
Absolutely disgusting! He was discriminated all because he was gay? All his killer got was three and a half years. Not enough in my opinion! The killer deserves more, far more than three and a half years. Lock him up and throw away the key!

What has happened to our justice system?
the judge should be ashamed of himself pathetic weasel of a man.

Covering someone in a substance designed to make him go up in flames and then lighting them on fire is murder NOT manslaughter only a complete retard of a judge could possibly say that this animal wasn't trying to kill him. The scum bag who did it put a mentally disabled and vulnerable young man through one of the worst most painful deaths you could imagine just for being gay and he get's 3 years absoloutley sickening what this country's justice system is turning into the judge should be sacked. If the guy killed was a member of my family I would personally kill the scum bag, I couldn't live with the fact the murderer would be free in only 2 years.
'This whole evening seems to have as part of it good natured horseplay.

'That lasted throughout the evening and even shortly before his fatal injuries Steven seemed to be enjoying himself.'

This is part of the factual basis upon which the defendant was sentenced. I don't quite agree with it having had a cursory glance at media coverage. These people seem quite unpleasant and I am sure they were not carrying out these acts in order to entertain the deceased, but to provide entertainment for themselves at his expense. I am, however, sure that they did not mean to kill him. Despite this, I have not seen all of the evidence - the judge has and he seems happy to sentence on the above basis.

Going from what is written above, it seems as if what has happened here is a tragic accident caused by the stupidity of others. The phrase "it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye" springs to mind. There have been countless times where I have heard stories of people doing silly things for a laugh - often they involve fire or some other dangerous material. All of these things could cause serious harm (and even death) to, not only the participants, but also innocent bystanders.

Also remember that there was a guilty plea. Depending upon when this plea was entered, the defendant would have been eligible for a 1/3 discount in sentencing.

Original post by tehforum
In these cases, I really want to be in the court room to get to know the full story.

It's only when cases get to the Court of Appeal or higher then I can read the judgment in full.

Or find out who prosecuted/defended and ask them if you meet them... that's how I get my inside gossip. :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
There is criteria to follow when it comes to sentencing. So, you can't just decide to give someone 3 and a half years for killing someone. There's something called mitigating and aggravating (?) circumstances to decide how long a sentence should be.

Not sure how this is manslaughter though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending