The Student Room Group

EPQ what is it?

Hello, I am about to embark on my a level transition and am currently looking at an Epq in art. I am set on my a levels and am currently a grade 8/9 GCSE student across the board. Would an EPQ be less time consuming and more freeing than art as a fourth a level alongside 3 essay based subjects? I would take the artefact rather than the essay. Could anyone give some advice as I really want to do art but am concerned about taking it as a fourth a level as I don’t want to spend all my life studying. Would this be an appropriate option. If you have done this alongside other a levels any help or advice would be fab! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
hiii, a EPQ is worth half on a level and should take 120 hours to complete (the exam board guidance). ive found it really rewarding and quite simple so far, however a lot of people in my year have dropped it to focus on exams/ working. id recommend starting it and seeing how you find it, even if you have to drop it at some point due to workload. fyi, i did the essay and found an afternoon a week for like a term was plenty of time to get the bulk of writing and research done, im at the point now where i need to make edits so most of its finished.
Reply 2
Original post by charves14
hiii, a EPQ is worth half on a level and should take 120 hours to complete (the exam board guidance). ive found it really rewarding and quite simple so far, however a lot of people in my year have dropped it to focus on exams/ working. id recommend starting it and seeing how you find it, even if you have to drop it at some point due to workload. fyi, i did the essay and found an afternoon a week for like a term was plenty of time to get the bulk of writing and research done, im at the point now where i need to make edits so most of its finished.

Hullo! Thanks so much for responding! I really appreciate your view on it! I think I will take your advice as it’s really good to hear from someone who is doing it! Thank you also for telling me the recommended time to spend on it and that has really put my mind at rest. Just one question if you don’t mind, how long is it? Is it for the full 2 years of sixth form (or college) or is it just one. I can’t seem to find a definitive answer! Again, thank you so much for answering my question with such thought! :smile:
Reply 3
it’s not got a set time so that’s why you’ll hear different ideas on when to do it. your sixth form will set deadlines for when they want it finished, at mine we started in the summer of year 12 and have until Easter to finish it, but most people I’ve spoken to did it during year 12 completely. one thing to keep in mind is that there’s a lot of self management involved, and it’s not as like supported by teachers as your a levels
Reply 4
Original post by charves14
it’s not got a set time so that’s why you’ll hear different ideas on when to do it. your sixth form will set deadlines for when they want it finished, at mine we started in the summer of year 12 and have until Easter to finish it, but most people I’ve spoken to did it during year 12 completely. one thing to keep in mind is that there’s a lot of self management involved, and it’s not as like supported by teachers as your a levels

Hi, thanks for the response! This is really helpful! Have a fab day! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending