The Student Room Group

tutoring

Hi, I have finished my exams recently and I am hoping to maybe tutor some people online, both as a meaningful experience and also maybe to earn some money. But I am not sure on how about i should do this. Does anyone have any ideas? or do any of you tutor and will be willing to provide me with some advice/information?
Reply 1
you could always try start up your own tutoring service locally and via facebook. i know a friend who did this and shes v successful at the moment although it did take a couple months to take off.

i currently use a platform called mypocketskill and i quite like it. they only take a 3% comission off what you earn. one downside is that if you are under 18 your starting rate is set to £5 and you have to level up by booking clients. if your 18 the starting rate is about £6.50 and if ur a uni student the starting rate is about £9 i believe. another downside is that there are lots of tutors and not many clients. you have to be quite quick to message clients if they put up a post for tutoring. you just kind of have to wait for someone to give you a chance and from then on, you're kind of set. i started in September 2022 and now im at level 5 (£11 an hour). demand varies in relation to the time of year. during feb half term i earnt £100 but now i've only got a session a week so don't be put down by lack of demand - its about being proactive and friendly while also clearly setting out boundaries. you can look at their website for more info but id say its a good place to start. when you reach level 6 you can set your own price and sometimes parents can even message you. lmk if u need any help :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TazmeenX
you could always try start up your own tutoring service locally and via facebook. i know a friend who did this and shes v successful at the moment although it did take a couple months to take off.

i currently use a platform called mypocketskill and i quite like it. they only take a 3% comission off what you earn. one downside is that if you are under 18 your starting rate is set to £5 and you have to level up by booking clients. if your 18 the starting rate is about £6.50 and if ur a uni student the starting rate is about £9 i believe. another downside is that there are lots of tutors and not many clients. you have to be quite quick to message clients if they put up a post for tutoring. you just kind of have to wait for someone to give you a chance and from then on, you're kind of set. i started in September 2022 and now im at level 5 (£11 an hour). demand varies in relation to the time of year. during feb half term i earnt £100 but now i've only got a session a week so don't be put down by lack of demand - its about being proactive and friendly while also clearly setting out boundaries. you can look at their website for more info but id say its a good place to start. when you reach level 6 you can set your own price and sometimes parents can even message you. lmk if u need any help :smile:

thank you for answering, do you think its worth it for me to try this website or do what your friend did? and would you be able to tell me more on how your friend set her tutoring service? if not then its fine. I really appreciate all your help. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by qwerty.12345
thank you for answering, do you think its worth it for me to try this website or do what your friend did? and would you be able to tell me more on how your friend set her tutoring service? if not then its fine. I really appreciate all your help. :smile:

its not problem at all!! i mean you could always try do both? i believe she used facebook and created a 'page' as opposed to an account (i think its like an extra thing you can add on if u already have a facebook account) and then just advertised from there. she put up a form or something that people could fill out. you could also post in your local village facebook groups as well as put posters up? then while that gets started, you could also set up a page on mypocketskill just to get some experience bc as i said before, the starting rates are not particularly appealing but its worth it when u get to the higher levels and rate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending