The Student Room Group

New Complete Uni League Tables out today

Scroll to see replies

Normally I take all of this with a pinch of salt... however Exeter, the university I have an offer for in September, is not in the top 10 and 7th for Economics. Ahead of Durham and Bristol.

Nice.
Reply 101
Original post by Zenomorph
Cause RG2 unis are pretty c*&9. that's why

What do you refer to as RG 2 unis?
Reply 102
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
It is 2 places ahead of Newcastle when it comes to league tables 2 places is essentially nothing.

However at 32nd up from 34th your biggest issue with Leeds is that UEA is ahead of them? Kent, Sussex, Royal Holloway, QUB and Aston all of which ahead of Leeds seem to sit just fine with you?

Ermmm, this may sound funny to you but I actually heard good reviews about Kent and Sussex!
Anyway, I'm seriously beginning to lose faith in these league table thingies! Is there no source more 'believable' than these? And for taught pg too?!

Original post by Zenomorph
Cause RG2 unis are pretty c*&9. that's why

Haha! That's a first!
Are you saying so because of their elitist rep?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by nulli tertius
Ask them where their preferred university is ranked in the 2016 league table.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely. This little incident only epitomises the failure of my comprehensive school to educate its 6th formers, or perhaps it is a failure of the students - I'm not sure. I would be interested to see if your average private school took a more thorough approach
Original post by aari
Ermmm, this may sound funny to you but I actually heard good reviews about Kent and Sussex!
Anyway, I'm seriously beginning to lose faith in these league table thingies! Is there no source more 'believable' than these? And for taught pg too?!

There is nothing wrong with Kent or Sussex. I just wouldn't say that they are better than Leeds. These tables are hardly solid. You ask for something that is, well that doesn't exist. These tables are build in a way that makes them essentially impossible to be accurate. I mean Aberystwyth is ranked 70th, that is probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in the table and nobody seems to pick up on that. Or even Goldsmiths at 50th is more absurd than your claim of UEA not deserving a place above Leeds.

UEA is probably one of the most underrated universities in the UK so when you base a table around graduate prospects and student satisfaction then UEA probably fits in around the 20th position. I've seen it around there in plenty of other tables in various years not to mention that it appears in the times' top 10 under 50 in the world (the 50 referring to the age of the university).

The problem is that people mistake these ranking for prestige/reputation which is why people kick up such a fuss when you get a university that was only around for a handful of decades is above a university such as Glasgow which is one of the oldest in the UK.

These are not ranking universities in order of prestige, that is literally impossible since prestige is a matter of opinon. So if that is what you mean by a more believable university table then my point still stands, it doesn't exist. If it did, it would be a matter of (inaccurate) personal opinion. I say inaccurate since the only fair way to rank a university would be to attend everyone you are ranking and see which is better/easier to get a job with...so yeah, impossible to be a fair test since age will be a varying factor among other things.

To long to read? Trying to place one university above another is an uphill battle and will always result in inaccurate results.
Reply 105
There is nothing wrong with Kent or Sussex. I just wouldn't say that they are better than Leeds. These tables are hardly solid. You ask for something that is, well that doesn't exist. These tables are build in a way that makes them essentially impossible to be accurate. I mean Aberystwyth is ranked 70th, that is probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in the table and nobody seems to pick up on that. Or even Goldsmiths at 50th is more absurd than your claim of UEA not deserving a place above Leeds.

UEA is probably one of the most underrated universities in the UK so when you base a table around graduate prospects and student satisfaction then UEA probably fits in around the 20th position. I've seen it around there in plenty of other tables in various years not to mention that it appears in the times' top 10 under 50 in the world (the 50 referring to the age of the university).

The problem is that people mistake these ranking for prestige/reputation which is why people kick up such a fuss when you get a university that was only around for a handful of decades is above a university such as Glasgow which is one of the oldest in the UK.

These are not ranking universities in order of prestige, that is literally impossible since prestige is a matter of opinon. So if that is what you mean by a more believable university table then my point still stands, it doesn't exist. If it did, it would be a matter of (inaccurate) personal opinion. I say inaccurate since the only fair way to rank a university would be to attend everyone you are ranking and see which is better/easier to get a job with...so yeah, impossible to be a fair test since age will be a varying factor among other things.

To long to read? Trying to place one university above another is an uphill battle and will always result in inaccurate results.

"Too long to read?"
Not at all, it's always a pleasure.

Well, your answer encourages me to ask the further question. Now, in what order would YOUrank the following institutions (even though personal opinions, including your own, are bound to be inaccurate and subjective)

Leeds
Newcastle
Goldsmith
Loughborough
Sussex
Bristol
Cardiff
Aberystwyth

Even though I'm going in for postgrad this fall, I'm still curious as to which uni, in 'actual public opinion' gets the hits and which uni takes the hits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aari
"Too long to read?"
Not at all, it's always a pleasure.

Well, your answer encourages me to ask the further question. Now, in what order would YOUrank the following institutions (even though personal opinions, including your own, are bound to be inaccurate and subjective)

Leeds
Newcastle
Goldsmith
Loughborough
Sussex
Bristol
Cardiff
Aberystwyth

Even though I'm going in for postgrad this fall, I'm still curious as to which uni, in 'actual public opinion' gets the hits and which uni takes the hits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only Lboro and Bristol are good, choose Lboro think the attitude will be better. The others are well choose your own expletive. Though if it is film related stuff GS may be alright.
Original post by aari

Haha! That's a first!
Are you saying so because of their elitist rep?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd advise you to avoid Sussex.

What rep ? RG2 are a lot worse than RG1 and some 94 unis ( eg Lboro, UEA - yes UEA > Sussex check it out)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aari

I would say:

Bristol
Leeds
Loughborough
Cardiff
Newcastle
Goldsmiths
Sussex
Aberystwyth

However other than a couple of these universities I don't know a great deal about any of them. I just based that list on a misinformed decision of which university I would prefer to go to.

If I was to study sports science it would be a totally different list with L'boro on the top. So you can see how it chances with the subject choice even.

If I was you looking a postgraduate I would look at one of the russell group universities. However that isn't to say that they are the only ones you should consider. My sister did a masters a Goldsmiths and got a grad job just a couple of months after finishing. However she hated her time there, mostly to do with the actually city though. So it goes to show how important it is to actually make sure you like the environment you'll be in.

Where are you going? What subject?

Original post by PQ

So who are the RG2 universities - and who decides membership of this mystery new group?

From what I gather he has divided the Russell Group into different tiers. Probably two. He must think some universities in there are undeserving of the status so coined them a subclass university.

From what I gather he has divided the Russell Group into different tiers. Probably two. He must think some universities in there are undeserving of the status so coined them a subclass university.

I wonder what his tiers are.
Reply 110
Original post by Tuerin
It's become pathetically obvious that this mistake was one you created yourself in your edited quotation.

You're absolutely right, I don't mean UWE. I meant UoB, as this post should have made apparent to you before.

I wasn't dictating anything. You explicitly requested that I 'justify' my defence of them, and I did so. You have failed to return the favour.

Haha, nice. I'm slightly more impressed, although the bold does weaken it by making it transparently obvious that you want this text to be seen by others. The rest is awful. Have you actually completed your trolling degree yet?

The mods should investigate this empty claim soon and remove this.

I remember seeing you debating, fishing out another troll some time ago. You're like a troll magnet. Therefore I'll rep you for your dedication when I can. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by crunchychips
I wonder what his tiers are.

Well I suspect that in Tier 1 he would have Oxford, Cambridge, then because they are so highly thought of on TSR he would have all the London universities in tier 1 also, so UCL, KCL, LSE and imperial. Then Glasgow and Durham cause they nice and old, plus Durham have a collegiate system which makes it more like Oxbridge. Then of course what ever university he goes to/planning on going to will be in tier 1...obviously.

As for tier 2, obviously it will include the rest of the RG universities. However if any of the universities in tier 1 happen to be the university of a student that he hates, then it is automatically demoted to tier two. For example if the guy going out with the hot girl the he likes goes to LSE, then LSE is an RG2.

Clearly this guy has some serious self-esteem issues and some time in the not so distant past he needed to create a ranking system out of thin air to compensate for something and make him self feel better at the expense of others.
Well I suspect that in Tier 1 he would have Oxford, Cambridge, then because they are so highly thought of on TSR he would have all the London universities in tier 1 also, so UCL, KCL, LSE and imperial. Then Glasgow and Durham cause they nice and old, plus Durham have a collegiate system which makes it more like Oxbridge. Then of course what ever university he goes to/planning on going to will be in tier 1...obviously.

As for tier 2, obviously it will include the rest of the RG universities. However if any of the universities in tier 1 happen to be the university of a student that he hates, then it is automatically demoted to tier two. For example if the guy going out with the hot girl the he likes goes to LSE, then LSE is an RG2.

Clearly this guy has some serious self-esteem issues and some time in the not so distant past he needed to create a ranking system out of thin air to compensate for something and make him self feel better at the expense of others.

You really should have read through his posts before making this !

He wants us to believe he went to LSE, (which even the most mediocre of trolls wouldn't try and pass of as a 2nd class university), so that's not going in RG2. He refused to believe that I am going to Bristol because I'm apparently not intelligent enough to be going to a RG1 (ignoring my cited evidence), so that's also in there. York and Nottingham are RG2, apparently. There's no way of concluding anything else from what's been said; you're assuming too much.
It's arbitrary nonsense and should be taken even less seriously than normal league table discussion.

Original post by Emre944
I remember seeing you debating, fishing out another troll some time ago. You're like a troll magnet. Therefore I'll rep for your dedication when I can. :biggrin:

:yy: Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
LSE #6 for maths? They don't even offer a pure maths degree iirc...
Original post by Tuerin
You really should have read through his posts before making this !

He wants us to believe he went to LSE, (which even the most mediocre of trolls wouldn't try and pass of as a 2nd class university), so that's not going in RG2. He refused to believe that I am going to Bristol because I'm apparently not intelligent enough to be going to a RG1 (ignoring my cited evidence), so that's also in there. York and Nottingham are RG2, apparently. There's no way of concluding anything else from what's been said; you're assuming too much.
It's arbitrary nonsense and should be taken even less seriously than normal league table discussion.
:yy: Thanks

My post wasn't serious. I was taking the piss out of this RG2 nonsense.

Tell me please. WTF is RG2?
My post wasn't serious. I was taking the piss out of this RG2 nonsense.

Tell me please. WTF is RG2?

That wasn't clear. It's just his neg-call. TSR needs to learn to pos-rep people who do this; that's what they don't want.
Reply 116
I would say:

Bristol
Leeds
Loughborough
Cardiff
Newcastle
Goldsmiths
Sussex
Aberystwyth

However other than a couple of these universities I don't know a great deal about any of them. I just based that list on a misinformed decision of which university I would prefer to go to.

If I was to study sports science it would be a totally different list with L'boro on the top. So you can see how it chances with the subject choice even.

If I was you looking a postgraduate I would look at one of the russell group universities. However that isn't to say that they are the only ones you should consider. My sister did a masters a Goldsmiths and got a grad job just a couple of months after finishing. However she hated her time there, mostly to do with the actually city though. So it goes to show how important it is to actually make sure you like the environment you'll be in.

Where are you going? What subject?

Haha ohhh, this thread keeps getting funnier, courtesy the RG2 guy. Who has gone awol, incidentally!
I'll be studying Intercultural Communications and Media. And I have offers from most of the unis up there including Newcastle, Leeds, Lbro and Goldsmiths but I haven't made a decision yet.
Reply 117
I have no interest in rankings, but I do have interest in your interesting spelling of 'Imperial'.

Sounds quite exotic as 'Impérial'.
Original post by Tuerin

Oh Tuerin don't waste anymore time on Zenomorph. He did the exact same thing last year: eulogised over the 1994 group especially Sussex and mouthed off the likes of Birmingham and Nottingham. The guy is pathetic.
Reply 119
Original post by The Polymath
How do we define successful? Producing graduates with a deep knowledge of their chosen subject along with an awareness of the limitations of their knowledge, with a respect and kindness towards other people, with the ability to reflect on their individual life, family life, and their role in society, with an awareness of nature and a sense of responsibility for the environment, with a feeling of civic duty and concern for the wellbeing of others, and with the maturity to adopt a disciplined and thinking approach to the rest of their life.

Unfortunstely I couldn't see where this kind of success was measured in the rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending