The Student Room Group

Does it ever depress you how crappy British weather is?

When people on the news go on about how 21 degrees is hot. When it's really not.

There are places in the med, Spain, France, Italy etc where they have 330 days worth of sunshine and our summers are almost basically their springs or autumns.

I don't know, it just depresses me how cloudy and lacking we are of sunshine in this country.

Does anyone else feel this way at times? The lifestyle that I want, being outdoors, hiking, walking, bike riding, swimming, going to the beach, enjoying the sun etc I can't have in this country unless I want to put on at least 2 layers.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not really, not much you can do about it and I'm used to it, and I just don't care that much really.

I'd rather be too cold than melting all the time.
I like our mild weather. I don't like being too cold or (especially) too hot, so it works out great, for me at least.
Sometimes it can, especially when we get a lot of cloudy/ rainy days. It would be nice to get more sunshine but it's not that bad though really. There's places with far worse weather- Scandinavia, Russia, some parts of America & Canada for example.
Reply 4
Being able to go a week without having the heating on would be nice.
Reply 5
Maritime climate rocks! I do love the odd sunny day, but the variety is nice, you can easily wash your car without streaks on an overcast day...swings and roundabouts. And when the snow comes, it usually doesn't last too long.
Original post by JD95
Not really, not much you can do about it and I'm used to it, and I just don't care that much really.

well yeah there is. when you become financially independent you can move.

and melting all the time is better than freezing all the time.
Yes, I do find the weather quite depressing. Also how unpredictable it can be...
Reply 8
I don't mind. Its been nice the past couple of days. I like it around 21 or 22 degrees. I don't like very hot weather.
Reply 9
Yes definitely. Honestly you start yearning for any sunshine and the rain just depressed me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
The novelty of hot and sunny weather wears off after a few days for me.
What always annoys me is when people start sun bathing in Hyde Park when it's 20 degrees, as though that's anywhere near a comparison to sunbathing on a 30+ degrees beach :confused:

I'm of mediterranean descent. Whilst I love living in London, I'll always find this weather, and the people in this country's reaction's to mild temperatures ridiculous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by martin jol
well yeah there is. when you become financially independent you can move.

and melting all the time is better than freezing all the time.

But you can't actually affect the weather, which is what I meant..

and I'd much rather be freezing than far too hot to be comfortable.
Reply 13
Well I don't really look forward to sunshine (especially when it's very hot) so I guess I like our 'depressing' weather.
hahaa you sound like my mother :rolleyes:

hey its better than having a more tropical climate that yes, it may have hot weather but it has monsoons and hurricaines and that creates death so I'm more than happy to have mild harmless weather !!
People complaining about how hot the UK is, go to the UAE where it's consistently 45 degrees centigrade during the day, and low to mid 30s during the night - then come back to me..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by porcelainwhite
When people on the news go on about how 21 degrees is hot. When it's really not.

There are places in the med, Spain, France, Italy etc where they have 330 days worth of sunshine and our summers are almost basically their springs or autumns.

I don't know, it just depresses me how cloudy and lacking we are of sunshine in this country.

Does anyone else feel this way at times? The lifestyle that I want, being outdoors, hiking, walking, bike riding, swimming, going to the beach, enjoying the sun etc I can't have in this country unless I want to put on at least 2 layers.

You would probably get sick of stifling hot weather all year round as well :tongue:
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
What always annoys me is when people start sun bathing in Hyde Park when it's 20 degrees, as though that's anywhere near a comparison to sunbathing on a 30+ degrees beach :confused:

I'm of mediterranean descent. Whilst I love living in London, I'll always find this weather, and the people in this country's reaction's to mild temperatures ridiculous.

Why would something like that annoy you? :confused: people are just enjoying themselves, we're not used to hot weather. Personally i can't sunbathe on holiday/sit in the sun in the morning/afternoon because it's too much for me as i'm not climatised.

Original post by Hunarench95
People complaining about how hot the UK is, go to the UAE where it's consistently 45 degrees centigrade during the day, and low to mid 30s during the night - then come back to me..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who is complaining about the UK being too hot? :curious:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Grey overcast which is depressing makes me feel a little depressed
COMPLETELY. Waking up to a grey sky all the time is so depressing! I honestly think if we had more sun people would be so much happier/mellower/cheerful! I know the weather doesn't determine your personality but ... it would be nicer if we had sunshine a least a little more
Not at all, I really don't do well in hot weather. I'm terrible at regulating body temperature and get heat stroke easy, not to mention I HATE being all clammy and sweaty from being too warm. Even this past week has been too hot for me here in the UK and it has only been in the 20-22 degrees C range so there is no way I could cope in the hotter parts of the world.

Also the bright sunshine gives me headaches and actually causes shooting pains in my eyes so not a fan of going outside in the summer.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest