The Student Room Group

Will I able to get onto a science course with a crappy AS maths grade?

If I got an E D C maybe?
I'm thinking of neuroscience biochemistry biomedical science pharmacology
will this affect me if I go on to graduate medicine?

Edit: I have to make my decision soon, I won't be around for results day and I hope to go on to do graduate entry medicine
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

depends if you apply to a uni that wants grades or UCAS points...
Original post by SpeedyGonzales27
If I got an E D C maybe?

Reply 3
If I got an E D C maybe?

Be aware that there's often a heavy maths component to science - probably biochemistry, at least - so just make sure you've checked the course content to make sure you'll be able to handle the maths.
Original post by ks1994

Ok thank you I'll look into that when applying :smile:
Original post by Smaug123
Be aware that there's often a heavy maths component to science - probably biochemistry, at least - so just make sure you've checked the course content to make sure you'll be able to handle the maths.

Ok cool...my maths isnt too bad but at the same time there's a lot of equations that I don't really want to be doing..do you think that gcse maths isn't sufficient? I got an A in that and I do chemistry now so if i can't handle the maths in my a2 course then that should be a good indicator?
Reply 6
most courses dont specify a grade in a 4th AS
My neighbours daughter got an E in her 4th subject so dw :smile: you can email Unis to confirm once you've got your result
Reply 7
Ok cool...my maths isnt too bad but at the same time there's a lot of equations that I don't really want to be doing..do you think that gcse maths isn't sufficient? I got an A in that and I do chemistry now so if i can't handle the maths in my a2 course then that should be a good indicator?

Yeah, probably, but bear in mind that I don't study a science (I'm maths) so I can't judge too well :smile:
Yeah, probably, but bear in mind that I don't study a science (I'm maths) so I can't judge too well :smile:

oh ok fair enough...sorry I'm having a hard time deciding what to study at Uni and drop at college :s-smilie:
Reply 9
oh ok fair enough...sorry I'm having a hard time deciding what to study at Uni and drop at college :s-smilie:

Good luck with the decision! :smile:
Got a E in AS maths and got 5 offers this year for biochem (Nottingham), medical phsyiology(leicester), pharmaceutical chem (Leicester), pharmaceutical chem(lboro) and chem (keele). There is quite a bit of maths in chem at A2 which I struggled with and you have to do an extra maths course in the first year of uni if you haven't done it for A level. Just about everyone who applies for chem does maths a level (at least by show of hands at open days I've been to) so you might be at a disadvantage. Have a look at the A2 syllabus before deciding to carry on chem (btw I'm hoping for a B in chem next week so it's not impossible)
Good luck with the decision! :smile:

Thanks! I know that'll be on TSR a lot these coming months
Original post by MedMed12
most courses dont specify a grade in a 4th AS
My neighbours daughter got an E in her 4th subject so dw :smile: you can email Unis to confirm once you've got your result

Ooh ok thank you for reminding me that I can email! Forgot about that...
Despite your AS grades you can still come out with good grades at the end of A2 given if you are able to commit to improving your grades.
Original post by minthumbugs
Got a E in AS maths and got 5 offers this year for biochem (Nottingham), medical phsyiology(leicester), pharmaceutical chem (Leicester), pharmaceutical chem(lboro) and chem (keele). There is quite a bit of maths in chem at A2 which I struggled with and you have to do an extra maths course in the first year of uni if you haven't done it for A level. Just about everyone who applies for chem does maths a level (at least by show of hands at open days I've been to) so you might be at a disadvantage. Have a look at the A2 syllabus before deciding to carry on chem (btw I'm hoping for a B in chem next week so it's not impossible)

Ahh ok :/ so you are saying that because you didn't do a2 maths you're only likely to get a b in chem...I wont be applying for a pure science degree as in chemistry...at least I don't think
honestly my plan is to do graduate medicine so I'm not even sure what I want to study
Just ask Brian Cox. He's a Physics legend, and he got a D in A-level Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luketreherne
Despite your AS grades you can still come out with good grades at the end of A2 given if you are able to commit to improving your grades.

This is true but it's hard because I've had to make my decision today because I'm going on holiday soon and won't be around for results day and honestly I feel like doing geography instead of maths will allow be to get better grades overall
Original post by Incredimazing
Just ask Brian Cox. He's a Physics legend, and he got a D in A-level Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THAT made me feel sooo much better
Reply 18
Ooh ok thank you for reminding me that I can email! Forgot about that...

haha dont worry :smile: I know someone who got into Medicine with a D in Maths, but she had a 4th AS of an A (or a B)
Course you can! Just check out Ucas and the specific Uni's and you'll find they don't all require maths lol. My friend got an e in As maths. Got 5 offers for a science degree! (some russell group too)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending