The Student Room Group

Calls to bann Ask Fm

Scroll to see replies

Am I missing something or is just easier not to use the website if your being abused?
Reply 41
What I don't get is how people can get so worked up about something like that, it's begging for abuse and you can always delete your account! YES there are people on there who use it to upset and bully people, and that IS wrong, but that happens in real life, and then you can't just ignore it by deleting your account... I've got lost there in my rather ridiculous rambling, but hope you get the gist!
Original post by deedee123
It's quite a difficult issue really. I find it very strange that this girl actually killed herself over some anonymous comments though.

Indeed it is. You know what though, I think it's odd that Facebook facilitates it. Everyone I know who uses it does so through Facebook, and it will surely damage their reputation.

Nice and empathetic I see. I think it's odd that she didn't quit Ask.fm before it escalated that much (though I don't know enough of her circumstances to make a judgement), but she was probably very easily affected by insults as girls of that age often are, and I imagine it was much worse than you're imagining. For example, it people whose opinions you care about kept telling you that you ought to die, do you think you'd be unaffected?
Reply 43
I don't think it should be banned. I don't think it would do much good anyway.

Obviously anonymity allows people to be absolutely vile to others, but that's not exclusive to ask.fm. There's a similar set-up with anonymous messaging on tumblr, and with things like facebook and twitter it's pretty easy to make an anonymous account. Cyber-bullying will occur with or without this site.

You can report things to the people who run sites, or even the authorities, but how seriously is that going to be taken? With racism, homophobia and threats of physical violence then something might possibly be done, but then if someone's calling you ugly or picking at your insecurities is that illegal? It's horrible, but we can see grown men and women doing it every day to public figures on showbiz websites, twitter, facebook and whatever else. You can use the most hurtful, loaded language to attack somebody's appearance or personality, but it still probably won't be considered a crime.

Trying to moderate the internet at this point is like trying to shove everything back in Pandora's box. It's too late for that.
As is very common in life, the minorities ruin it for the majorities.
Reply 45
Original post by ImNew
Why are people always trying to find someone to blame? Suicide is self inflicted deal with it.

Wait. Did I honestly just read that? So getting bullied was self-inflicted?
Reply 46
Nobody needs an ask.fm account. Its not a site like Facebook where there is a social pressure to join in because everyone is on there. Its a site with a bad reputation, obviously because anonymous messages can be sent allowing people to bully each other in a cowardly way - why anyone would set up an account and expose themselves to hate is beyond me.
Original post by uktotalgamer
HOW IS IT DANGEROUS? Will someone please explain to me how an Internet website is dangerous? The onlyway that anything can be dangerous on the Internet is with key loggers and viruses. That's it. Ask.fm is not dangerous.

I get called all sorts on here, and PSN. I don't care. It's virtual fior ****s sake.

Well isn't it great that you are so thick skinned. That must mean the whole world is like you.

Psychologically ask is dangerous. It can cause significant distress to those who are vulnerable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
I just don't see what people get out of it, telling others to die, to kill themselves, and so on. By all means have a laugh, debate, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and anyone who has two braincells to rub together knows where that line is.

I don't think there's a need to close the site, but it does sound like it requires greater security. Perhaps a sort of auto-filter that flags up users who use certain terms? A higher sign-up age?

I moderate a writing website. It has about 1.2M members, so probably a lot less than Ask.FM. All users know that they can contact moderators and staff directly if there is a problem, and people who cross the line can get banned. We don't often have to ban people, thankfully. I think the availability of direct contact helps a lot. There are some 20 mods available, and three staff members, so I suppose Ask.FM would require more, but surely it's worth it to create a safe environment?

The one thing every site needs to do is to look after its users. Otherwise you'll lose them and/or your reputation gets wrecked.
Reply 49
Original post by Deyesy
Wait. Did I honestly just read that? So getting bullied was self-inflicted?

Emotions are pretty much entirely in our control if we go beyond the mental barrier of believing they are not. Recently it was discovered not that psychopaths do not have empathy, but actually they can turn empathy and emotions off at will. I can turn my empathy off and no I was not born with it, I learned how to do it. If I can learn to turn my empathy and emotions off then so can anybody. If we can learn to effectively teach school children how to turn their emotions off we can prevent future suicides as a result of bullying.
The thing about suicide is that it's quite often a decision made at a really low point. All it takes is a minute to drive to a bridge and jump - and people who have been talked down and didn't do it don't do so afterwards.

Considering that you don't need long months or years before you get pushed to suicide, and that actually all you need is a few weeks and a really low hour, helps make it clear why online abuse can push someone to suicide. That girl was told nobody would care if she killed herself. She probably convinced herself it was true. People often don't realise how much a few messages can make you stop and wonder - would anybody care? Which can lead to a conclusion of "nobody would".

Also this girl was 14. She was young and vulnerable.

I'd never heard of ask.fm before this story, but it seems like the anon function is the problem. Either don't allow the anon, have more stringent screening before allowing anon posts, or an easier report system that immediately deletes the comment so an admin/mod can review it and put it back up if the report was unnecessary - not the other way around.
Original post by Sammy Lanka
Well isn't it great that you are so thick skinned. That must mean the whole world is like you.

Psychologically ask is dangerous. It can cause significant distress to those who are vulnerable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give yourself over man. It's online and anonymous. Don't like it, leave. What a load of *******s man.
The simplest solution.

"Block this person from contacting me"

Don't reveal which other messages that person sent, don't reveal who they were. Simply stop the ability for that person to send anymore messages.

PS. Yes I'm aware it's relatively easy to get around, but requiring more effort is better than no effort.
Well its the same as spillit, formspring and littlegossip..

I don't exactly know why you'd commit suicide from a hate message on one of those websites as its obvious people will use them for that purpose.

I only use thoses sites to just get people's opinions and questions which they might not feel comfortable asking in person.. and tbh I didnt really get much hate, just actual questions from people to embarrased to ask in person obviously.
Reply 54
Original post by InPiscinam
What I don't get is how people can get so worked up about something like that, it's begging for abuse and you can always delete your account! YES there are people on there who use it to upset and bully people, and that IS wrong, but that happens in real life, and then you can't just ignore it by deleting your account... I've got lost there in my rather ridiculous rambling, but hope you get the gist!

Exactly, surely if someone received someone started to receive nasty messages on it they would delete their account? At least I would. I totally do not get why people do this with ask.fm. :s-smilie:
Original post by ImNew
Emotions are pretty much entirely in our control if we go beyond the mental barrier of believing they are not. Recently it was discovered not that psychopaths do not have empathy, but actually they can turn empathy and emotions off at will. I can turn my empathy off and no I was not born with it, I learned how to do it. If I can learn to turn my empathy and emotions off then so can anybody. If we can learn to effectively teach school children how to turn their emotions off we can prevent future suicides as a result of bullying.

Yes. And then we'd all be psychopaths. A lack of empathy in the human race would be an awful thing.
Reply 56
Original post by desdemonata
Yes. And then we'd all be psychopaths. A lack of empathy in the human race would be an awful thing.

No because we can turn it back on plus it enables people to think more logically. I find that actually more wars etc are caused by too much emotion rather than the lack of it.
Reply 57
Why are people so incapable of taking responsibility for themselves or their children? When people bully you at school and hang around a certain area, you know to avoid that person and avoid that area, and on the internet the same thing applies but it's even easier to do! And why the heck can parents who jump onto the media bandwagon crying about how their children are at risk, refuse to act on their charade of being caring by taking the time to learn the tiniest bit about the internet in order to put blocks on them. or they can do something easier which is TALK TO THEIR CHILDREN ABOUT THE RISKS OF THE INTERNET!

It boggles the mind and infuriates me about how STUPID and lazy people are expecting other people to wrap them in cotton wool, or to parent their children for them.
Original post by desdemonata
The thing about suicide is that it's quite often a decision made at a really low point. All it takes is a minute to drive to a bridge and jump - and people who have been talked down and didn't do it don't do so afterwards.

Considering that you don't need long months or years before you get pushed to suicide, and that actually all you need is a few weeks and a really low hour, helps make it clear why online abuse can push someone to suicide. That girl was told nobody would care if she killed herself. She probably convinced herself it was true. People often don't realise how much a few messages can make you stop and wonder - would anybody care? Which can lead to a conclusion of "nobody would".

Also this girl was 14. She was young and vulnerable.

I'd never heard of ask.fm before this story, but it seems like the anon function is the problem. Either don't allow the anon, have more stringent screening before allowing anon posts, or an easier report system that immediately deletes the comment so an admin/mod can review it and put it back up if the report was unnecessary - not the other way around.

yes screening the anon messages for threat or abuse would be a good idea.. *I think its still valuable to have the anon feature as thats what really makes those sites gain bigger audiences and what most people use the site for.

I got a message saying something similar. I was pretty angry at it but I wasn't going to commit suicide just because of someone's silly comment.

It's pretty ridiculous how many people actually think they can say stuff like that and think its funny. Hopefully those that said what they said feel guilty for the rest of their lives.
Reply 59
Original post by ImNew
No because we can turn it back on plus it enables people to think more logically. I find that actually more wars etc are caused by too much emotion rather than the lack of it.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Historically, a lot of wars have been over the desire to expand a country beyond it's borders or to gain resources. If you have no empathy, or have the power to switch it off, what's to stop you marching in and taking everything people own? People who can 'switch off their empathy' wouldn't switch it back on if they could get great monetary gains by disregarding silly things like compassion, their conscience and the value of human life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending