Scroll to see replies

Just finished And the mountains echoed.
Great book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Book one - elaref Ahmed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5002
Nicholas nickelby by Charles dickens
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. It's interesting so far...

Anyone read this book?
Srlowly making my way through 'The Kite Runner'. Brilliant.
Reply 5005
Original post by gabbiehall

Anyone read this book?

Oui :smile:
I managed to finish Hesse's Steppenwolf, The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert, and The Pure Land by Alan Spence (compulsory for school, but enjoyable nonetheless) whilst away on holiday, and have just started Modern Japan: A Very Short Introduction. :smile:
Reply 5007
Original post by member841230
Yeah, really. I usually prefer understated humour to fully-fledged comedy. There are funnier books around (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy springs to mind) but they're often too ham-fisted for my liking.

I mean, I love the Arthur Conan Doyle books and have read all of the Sherlock Holmes but if those are the funniest books you have ever read - you probably just don't like comedy.
Just finished Gogol's Dead Souls. Bit of a mission by the end but I enjoyed it overall, especially the first book, which was a lot lighter and funnier. The delving into more philosophical themes in the second part might have better suited a novel of grander proportions (which it was obviously intended to be before he went and died before finishing it).

Just started Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
Original post by Ronove
So... I saw Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol in Danish in the supermarket and picked that up. Going to see how that works out for me. Already learnt the words for freemason and initiate...

I know Dan Brown is often criticised, but his books can be good fun if you take them with a pinch of salt. However, I personally felt The Lost Symbol was a bit of a let down after the previous two books in the series, felt like a less good rehash of the other two with less compelling characters and a predictable ending.

Original post by ShadowWolf21
I can't remember what I said I was last reading, there's been a few since, I can imagine. But, right now I'm reading 'The Penguin's Complete Sherlock Holmes' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's one hell of a tome to lug round, but so good!

Love Sherlock Holmes, despite the canon's faults! :love:
The Confidence Man by Herman Melville so is quickly becoming my favourite American author.

I can't remember what I said I was last reading, there's been a few since, I can imagine. But, right now I'm reading 'The Penguin's Complete Sherlock Holmes' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's one hell of a tome to lug round, but so good!

Sherlockians unite :holmes: Any favourite stories so far?

Original post by gabbiehall

Anyone read this book?

I keep getting about 50 pages in and then giving up :closedeyes: It's a book that deserves more attention and time i'm willing to give to put in right now, i'll get around to it eventually when I have the time as it certainly looked like it was going to be go good places but it didn't catch me like Karamazov did.
Reply 5011
Original post by Pensivedore

What do you think of it?? This book, to me, was just so frustrating. I am getting frustrated just thinking about it.

I think I enjoyed it. I don't really know. I wanted it to move forward, and wanted something to happen, I wanted to know why everything had happened. And I suppose that did frustrate me.

On the other hand, I found the dynamic between the man and the boy really interesting, and I actually found the little snippets of insight into their past lives really engaging.

I guess it's one of those I'll never read again, but I'm glad I've read it.

In other news: on to Norwegian Wood now!
Original post by yazgilbert
"1984" by George Orwell and "Rebecca" by Daphne DuMaurier. Both absolutely fantastic books, you should totally give them a read.

You would like "Jamaica inn" by Daphne DuMaurier, I'm sure!

I'm reading "Notre-Dame de Paris" by Victor Hugo... It's a classic, but it's the first time I'm trying to read it.
The Chouans - Honore De Balzac. :france:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Sherlockians unite :holmes: Any favourite stories so far?

I think mine will always be 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. Generally because it was the first one I read, and I can read it over and over :biggrin:! Yourself?
I think mine will always be 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. Generally because it was the first one I read, and I can read it over and over :biggrin:! Yourself?

You can't not love Baskerville <3 Possibly The Bruce Partington Plans and The Sign of Four but there's very few which I would deem 'bad' per say, even some of the dull ones have some good moments or turns of phrases :^_^: Sherlock is one of the series where just getting the smallest tidbit of info on him can which can then cause awesome headcanon makes the whole story worthwhile.
You can't not love Baskerville <3 Possibly The Bruce Partington Plans and The Sign of Four but there's very few which I would deem 'bad' per say, even some of the dull ones have some good moments or turns of phrases :^_^: Sherlock is one of the series where just getting the smallest tidbit of info on him can which can then cause awesome headcanon makes the whole story worthwhile.

Agreed! Every time I read them I still get immersed in the story :biggrin: That's good writing for you :smile:

And no, I can't think of any I don't like really.
Just begun Paradise Lost... This will be interesting...
You can't not love Baskerville <3

I have to admit, I think it's a bit overrated - it's not that I hate it, I just don't like how it's become arguably the most well known when it is definitely not the best. :redface:
Shifu, You'll Do Anything for a Laugh

by Mo Yan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending