The Student Room Group

Let’s chat: what book are you currently reading?

I finished the book I was reading- the bluest eyes by Toni Morrison. What are y’all reading, and how are you enjoying the book so far.
Toni Morrison is so good! I fell in love with her work reading Beloved; she has such a tender yet precise way with words. It cuts straight to the bone - it could destroy you at any moment.

My current book is The Spanish Holocaust by Paul Preston which is a non-fiction book about dictator Franco's rise to power in Spain and the horrific abuse the country suffered under him. I'm reading it for my UCAS statement. It's a difficult read, and I can only imagine how it felt to have to immerse yourself in all that day in day out to write it. Similarly, my current novel is Cervantes's Don Quixote (Parts I and II), which I'm also reading as prep for Uni. It's not too difficult when I read a chapter in English, but the Spanish is nearly 500 years old and a little antiquated, but the book is genuinely entertaining and funny in parts, so... a decent read, I guess? In terms of last book for pleasure, that was probably A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, which I re-read last week! A great tragicomedy about academia and living in New Orleans, which reminds me of John Williams's Stoner, another favourite of mine. What's your favourite book - or, if that's too difficult, what'd be the one book you'd take with you to a desert island?
Reply 2
Original post by Castrovalva
Toni Morrison is so good! I fell in love with her work reading Beloved; she has such a tender yet precise way with words. It cuts straight to the bone - it could destroy you at any moment.

My current book is The Spanish Holocaust by Paul Preston which is a non-fiction book about dictator Franco's rise to power in Spain and the horrific abuse the country suffered under him. I'm reading it for my UCAS statement. It's a difficult read, and I can only imagine how it felt to have to immerse yourself in all that day in day out to write it. Similarly, my current novel is Cervantes's Don Quixote (Parts I and II), which I'm also reading as prep for Uni. It's not too difficult when I read a chapter in English, but the Spanish is nearly 500 years old and a little antiquated, but the book is genuinely entertaining and funny in parts, so... a decent read, I guess? In terms of last book for pleasure, that was probably A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, which I re-read last week! A great tragicomedy about academia and living in New Orleans, which reminds me of John Williams's Stoner, another favourite of mine. What's your favourite book - or, if that's too difficult, what'd be the one book you'd take with you to a desert island?

She is! She writes so beautifully raw. Beloved was the first book of hers I read. I doted on it so much afterwards that I bought the bluest eyes. Like you said, the bluest eyes definitely cut to the bone. Hard to read in parts, and her commentary at the end really added to its volume.

Wow, that is great extra-curricular reading. I wish you the best of luck with your ucas statement. It’s great having the perspective of struggle the author must have felt, prompting your empathy. Grim, but eye opening. I have not read a John Williams book before, how would you describe his style?

Hm favourite book. I really enjoyed planet of the apes, and thinking deeply into it. I also enjoyed a brave new world, the second part especially. I loved pride and prejudice and little women! I’m unsure if I can pick a favourite, but I love all the books I named. I have a few books currently I am excited to read. My next read will be Carrie by Steven king.

If I were to take a book on a desert island, I definitely would not pick lord of the flies 🤣.
In seriousness, I possibly little women & good wives. It would be great to re-read to notice foreshadowing, as well as heart-warming, and I could read it a few times. What about you?
Original post by user1567945
I finished the book I was reading- the bluest eyes by Toni Morrison. What are y’all reading, and how are you enjoying the book so far.

Mini cooper 1961-2000
Reply 4
How are you finding it?
Original post by Emma:-)
Mini cooper 1961-2000
Original post by user1567945
How are you finding it?

Just finished reading it. It was very good.
Reply 6
I recently finished Their Eyes Were Watching God; now I'm reading the stories I didn't read yet in Dubliners
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh
I recently finished Their Eyes Were Watching God; now I'm reading the stories I didn't read yet in Dubliners

What are your thoughts on “their eyes were watching god”?
I've just started re-reading Wuthering Heights, fancied a dark, gloomy gothic read now that the weather is turning
The Assault on Liberty by Dominic Raab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending