Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now that the last thread has been filled, it's time for a new one! Previous thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100193

I am currently reading Scorsese by Ebert. Pretty damn good read.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Michael Phelps's autobiography. Not that great a read. Constantly going on about splits and race times and not about much else, tbh.

Keen to loan out Game of Thrones from library but there's a very lengthy waiting list, ffs.

Got Brian Moore's autobiography waiting in the wings once I've finished with Phelps's book.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brave New World.

Again. :rolleyes: Brilliant book though. Love a good dystopian/utopian fantasy, me.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Hated that book! What do you think of it?
    I've finished it now; same, the woman is SO irritating. I actually found it hard to finish it was that bad!

Why did you not like it then? I thought she just over-analysed everything!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evielee_17)
    I've finished it now; same, the woman is SO irritating. I actually found it hard to finish it was that bad!

Why did you not like it then? I thought she just over-analysed everything!
    Gosh, yes. Her writing is so over indulgent and she keeps mentioning how clever she is. I.e. "not everyone can have the curiosity to be interested in the metaphysical...but it's okay, I do"- that kind of thing. She just didn't seem like a natural writer. And she sounded like a spoilt brat too. So she had a bad time with her divorce. Doesn't mean she absolutely needs to go to Italy and the other two places she went. She makes herself out to be such a spiritual person, but it seems unrealistic and put on. It was a while ago that I read it, I just remember hating it by the end!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Satori in Paris - Jack Kerouac
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason.

Íslenskir þjóðhættir by Jónas Jónasson frá Hrafnagili.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedbrar)
    George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia
    I've heard it's the best book about the Spanish civil war. Judging from what you've read so far, would you say that claim is justified?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalDisaster)
    Brave New World.

Again. :rolleyes: Brilliant book though. Love a good dystopian/utopian fantasy, me.
    Bernard Marx and the Savage. :love:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just finished reading "The Things They Carried."
    And now I've taken to carrying around "11,002 Things To Be Miserable About."
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    Bernard Marx and the Savage. :love:
    :love: the Savage is awesome, but I quite liked Mustafa Mond and Helmholtz, actually. They seemed interesting.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)

i'm reading The Wind Singer...lalala
    You mean the one by William Nicholson? I love that series.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Crecsendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Barack Obama - Dreams from my Father. Love him! Surprisingly well-written. Now starting Voltaire - Candide. Not too sure what I make of it yet, but I see what he's getting at, which is unusual for me with books that have a lot of subtext :rolleyes:
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    I've heard it's the best book about the Spanish civil war. Judging from what you've read so far, would you say that claim is justified?
    Yeah, i have this book and The Spanish Cockpit by Franz Borkenau are two of the best books to read. I do not know much about the Spanish civil war and i am not widely read in the subject, so personally i can't really compare it to other book of the Spanish civil war. It does however seem well written to me and is turnign out to be a good read. He talks about the Spanish civil war from his view in the trenches etc... At the moment i would say the book appears to be more about 'what it was like' rather than 'what it was about'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalDisaster)
    :love: the Savage is awesome, but I quite liked Mustafa Mond and Helmholtz, actually. They seemed interesting.
    Yeah, agreed... especially Mustafa Mond. I love the passage in which the Savage and Mustafa converse with one another, where they discuss happiness and God, etc. "There used to be something called God..."

Also, the scene in which the Savage visits his dying mother. So sad—and creepy.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2014
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.