Scroll to see replies

Reply 2860
Original post by ImNew
Globalist communist detected.

Member of the Tory party, actually...
Reply 2861
Original post by L i b
Member of the Tory party, actually...

You aren't proud of an accident by birth yet you want to be able to inherit all your parent's money? Hypocrite detected.
Reply 2862
Original post by MatureStudent36
what infrastructure projects? Like the new forth bridge? The 30% of renewables spending or the £700 million tram in Edinburgh?

They have a point here
Reply 2863
Original post by L i b
Absolute nonsense. In the previous attempts, in all bar one the Scottish commissioners were the enthusiastic side. The English commissioners saw little value to themselves in the transaction.

As for nobles 'selling out', a load of tripe. They saw the manifest advantages of union and went along with it.

Yet it likely would have. Access to imperial markets was the main driving force of Scotland's economic success.

Since when did the Scottish commissioners speak for the people? The first attempt was by James VI to try and cover up his bigamy. The people of Scotland and England were against it.

The second was after Scotland was already incorporated into the commonwealth supposedly for the economic benefits and was instigated by Cromwell. Therefore since Scotland was already receiving these wondrous economic benefits, which included being taxed to starvation to fund Cromwell's army, your argument that Scotland needed to be in a union with England to receive economic benefits is nonsense as they already had access to imperial markets. This attempt failed due to Charles II coming to the throne.

The third was by King William as he was fearful of the French using Scotland for an invasion of England. The people were against it.

The nobles were bankrupt after the Darien Scheme and were paid "compensation" if they agreed to the Union. The people were against it.

I know Tories like re-writing history but you must try a little harder in order for your fairy-tales to become more believable.
Reply 2864
Original post by L i b
That's absurd to a level that even Jim Sillars would blush at. There is no way on earth an independent Scotland will not inherit a portion of national debt save it being paid up by the UK in exchange for some negotiated concession.

I disagree. There is precedent for separating from a country and not carrying any of the debt.

Lets call it compensation for being misgoverned for 300 years if you like.
Reply 2865
Original post by ImNew
You aren't proud of an accident by birth yet you want to be able to inherit all your parent's money? Hypocrite detected.

Ah, but I never said I'm proud of it.

Original post by punani
Since when did the Scottish commissioners speak for the people? The first attempt was by James VI to try and cover up his bigamy. The people of Scotland and England were against it.

We lived in a pre-democratic society. No institutions represented the people. Scotland itself was certainly not formed democratically, nor were its four predecessor kingdoms. Not a single government action was brought about my popular consent in those days.

The nobles were bankrupt after the Darien Scheme and were paid "compensation" if they agreed to the Union. The people were against it.

To be honest, they'd have been bankrupted and the Scottish economy and social order would've been brought to its knees otherwise. It wasn't, as some have attempted to suggest, some sort of bribe.

Original post by punani
I disagree. There is precedent for separating from a country and not carrying any of the debt.

Which?

Lets call it compensation for being misgoverned for 300 years if you like.

Absurd rubbish.
Reply 2866
I really struggle to see what the nats want to be 'independent' from? MP's in Scotland have just an equal say in running the country as any other. It's not like there one cohesive unit anyway, the MP for Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk is no less likely to co-operate with the MP for Glasgow North than he is the MP for Sevenoaks.

As someone who lives about 10 miles from the border I can tell you there is no real difference between England & Scotland, and I have traveled about in both. Its mad how a simple rivalry no different than the banter between Yorkshire and Lancashire has progressed this far. Devolution was one of the worst things Blair did to this country, rather than suppress nationalism it gave idiots like Salmond a platform much bigger than they deserve with their 6 Westminster MP's.

The whole nationalist campaign is sentimental, anti-Tory, anti-English nonsense, hence its appeal to both disaffected lefties and idiotic, racist chavs. Salmond's promises often contradict his earlier commitments or are simply lies, the EU will not just allow Scotland to rejoin, neither will NATO, both things he goes on about.

The big elephant in the room is that this referendum is not binding. If by some miracle the nats win the PM should just tell them to shove it.

I'm British and I don't want my country split in two
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2867
Original post by L i b
Ah, but I never said I'm proud of it.

We lived in a pre-democratic society. No institutions represented the people. Scotland itself was certainly not formed democratically, nor were its four predecessor kingdoms. Not a single government action was brought about my popular consent in those days.

To be honest, they'd have been bankrupted and the Scottish economy and social order would've been brought to its knees otherwise. It wasn't, as some have attempted to suggest, some sort of bribe.

Which?

Absurd rubbish.

"When the successor State is a newly independent State, no State debt of the predecessor State shall pass to the newly independent State, unless an agreement between them provides otherwise in view of the link between the State debt of the predecessor State connected with its activity in the territory to which the succession of States relates and the property, rights and interests which pass to the newly independent State"

http://untreaty.un.org/ilc/texts/instruments/english/conventions/3_3_1983.pdf

Scotland will only inherit debt if we agree to it. You can keep your embassies and defunct navy and you can keep your debt.

Job done.

Next.
Reply 2868
Original post by punani
"When the successor State is a newly independent State, no State debt of the predecessor State shall pass to the newly independent State, unless an agreement between them provides otherwise in view of the link between the State debt of the predecessor State connected with its activity in the territory to which the succession of States relates and the property, rights and interests which pass to the newly independent State"

http://untreaty.un.org/ilc/texts/instruments/english/conventions/3_3_1983.pdf

Well done, you've quoted a treaty to which the UK is not a state party (only a handful of countries are) and which has never entered into force. You might as well quote a Bill that was dropped at first reading.

Moreover, check the definition of a "newly independent state". It only applies to something which was formerly "a dependent territory". Scotland is not.

So yeah, you've not only quoted a treaty that was not in force, you've quoted a treaty that doesn't even make your point. Game, set and match, I suspect. If you're going to try pulling that sort of amateur pseudo-legal stuff, I'd suggest you don't do it on an academic forum where people like me, you know, have degrees in this sort of thing.

And once again, which new states have emerged from a larger state without either inheriting national debt or having it bargained away as part of an agreement?

Oh, and "next..."
Reply 2869
Original post by Renner
I really struggle to see what the nats want to be 'independent' from? MP's in Scotland have just an equal say in running the country as any other. It's not like there one cohesive unit anyway, the MP for Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk is no less likely to co-operate with the MP for Glasgow North than he is the MP for Sevenoaks.

As someone who lives about 10 miles from the border I can tell you there is no real difference between England & Scotland, and I have traveled about in both. Its mad how a simple rivalry no different than the banter between Yorkshire and Lancashire has progressed this far. Devolution was one of the worst things Blair did to this country, rather than suppress nationalism it gave idiots like Salmond a platform much bigger than they deserve with their 6 Westminster MP's.

The whole nationalist campaign is sentimental, anti-Tory, anti-English nonsense, hence its appeal to both disaffected lefties and idiotic, racist chavs. Salmond's promises often contradict his earlier commitments or are simply lies, the EU will not just allow Scotland to rejoin, neither will NATO, both things he goes on about.

The big elephant in the room is that this referendum is not binding. If by some miracle the nats win the PM should just tell them to shove it.

I'm British and I don't want my country split in two

So at least 1/3 of the people of Scotland, more by the time of the referendum, are disaffected lefties or are racist, idiotic chavs?

I hope you're out there campaigning for the No campaign. You will cause the swing needed for independence on your own.
Reply 2870
Original post by L i b
Well done, you've quoted a treaty to which the UK is not a state party (only a handful of countries are) and which has never entered into force. You might as well quote a Bill that was dropped at first reading.

Moreover, check the definition of a "newly independent state". It only applies to something which was formerly "a dependent territory". Scotland is not.

So yeah, you've not only quoted a treaty that was not in force, you've quoted a treaty that doesn't even make your point. Game, set and match, I suspect. If you're going to try pulling that sort of amateur pseudo-legal stuff, I'd suggest you don't do it on an academic forum where people like me, you know, have degrees in this sort of thing.

And once again, which new states have emerged from a larger state without either inheriting national debt or having it bargained away as part of an agreement?

Oh, and "next..."

And why do you think the UK didn't sign up to it if they didn't feel it would be held against them in the future? It is still a UN treaty and as such holds more weight than the say so of Westminster or deluded Tories.

Even if Scotland isn't classed as an independent state, which is not as clearly defined as you suggest, that would mean that any debts would have to be split by an agreement and if no agreement can be reached then by an equitable split. How do you assume a split based on population is equitable? Everything would be up for negotiating. You seem to believe that Westminster will just decide what the terms will be and that is final. This is a fantasy.

Also you seem to suggest at every other turn just how "dependent" Scotland is on the UK for just about everything. In fact the definition of a dependent territory is "A territory that does not possess full political independence or sovereignty as a sovereign state". I don't think it would take much of a stretch to argue this point in Scotland's favour.

So any legal argument that disputes your version of things is Pseudo-legal. I suppose when professors of law use these same arguments, as they have done, they are pseudo-legal as well. Why? Because, people like you have degrees in this kind of stuff, don't you know. Pathetic.

I can't really imagine you as some kind of legal professional. I suppose you must be one of those people who chases ambulances and call themselves lawyers? If you represent the best of Unionist legal advice, Scotland will do pretty well in the negotiations.

You should look into the breakup of Yugoslavia. It may just re-educate your indoctrinated, biased, ill-informed, delusional and downright embarrassing views.
Original post by punani
How is the lack of self-determination a "perceived" wrong?

We have a devolved parliament. That's more than most of the UK has.
Original post by punani
How? So that even more of our jobs and economy can go to the Southeast?

HS2 is a follow on from HS1. There is a European wide High Speed Rail network that it will benefit us all if we get connected to it. They've already made the link between the continent and the UK in HS1, also known as the Channel Tunnel.

No it's a bit difficult to start a High Speed Rail network the other end of the country. It makes sense to go from the channel Tunnel out.

Of course the SNP know this, but it's much better to just whinge about it and portray the English getting one over is.
Original post by punani
Plenty of people are debating that, just look through some of the replies in this thread. Of course it can. The question is, can it be more successful without the UK and the answer is yes.

Not according to the SNPs own internal communications we won't be.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee08022eec_u9m6vd74f.pdf
Original post by punani
Fiscal, Monetary and Political Union for vastly different economies, societies and cultures can never work. The EU should only be about co-operating on issues that benefit all countries involved. Currently this is impossible. These are similar reasons as to why many Scots want independence from the UK.

Exactly. And the SNP are happy to change us being the voice of 5.5 million in the UK out of 65 Million, to 5.5 million in a population of 332 milion in the Eurozone.
Original post by punani
You seem to believe that Westminster will just decide what the terms will be and that is final. This is a fantasy.

:confused: Wait. So you are suggesting that Scotland will determine the terms of settlement and that is final? Surely that is fantasy?

Everything will be up for negotiation, and it is with these negotiations things will be settled not before independence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2876
Exactly. And the SNP are happy to change us being the voice of 5.5 million in the UK out of 65 Million, to 5.5 million in a population of 332 milion in the Eurozone.

Doesn't mean Denmark wants to join political Union with Germany to increase their influence.
Why is bigger always better. Does the Republic of Ireland want to join the UK to increase their influence.
Scotland population (5,2m) is larger than almost half of the independent countries who are members of the UN

Most member states of the EU are of similar or smaller population than Scotland

Moreover, all the evidence shows that ‘big isn’t beautiful’. Of the 20 richest countries in the world (GDP per capita) almost all have populations smaller or similar to Scotland’s. Many such as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium etc are small northern European nations just like Scotland.
http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/independence-the-business-case-for-scotland/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by punani
Plenty of people are debating that, just look through some of the replies in this thread. Of course it can. The question is, can it be more successful without the UK and the answer is yes.

:confused: How can you be so confident when there is so much uncertainty, with the result of independence. For starters, the European Union membership is one, if you have to renegotiation membership and lose your portion of the rebate then people in Scotland will lose out.
Reply 2878
We have a devolved parliament. That's more than most of the UK has.

Still isn't self determination though.

HS2 is a follow on from HS1. There is a European wide High Speed Rail network that it will benefit us all if we get connected to it. They've already made the link between the continent and the UK in HS1, also known as the Channel Tunnel.

No it's a bit difficult to start a High Speed Rail network the other end of the country. It makes sense to go from the channel Tunnel out.

Of course the SNP know this, but it's much better to just whinge about it and portray the English getting one over is.

I just don't buy the argument for it at all. It just appears to be some sort of vanity project.

Not according to the SNPs own internal communications we won't be.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee08022eec_u9m6vd74f.pdf

I think you have to have a more long term view. We were in the Union for 3 centuries, some of it benefited us, some of it didn't. I don't think the arguments for Independence should be purely economic, although I do believe we would be successful economically if independent.

We need to separate independence from the SNP. I don't understand the wish to be independent from Westminster only to hand it away to the EU. Seems crazy.
Reply 2879
Original post by FinalMH
:confused: Wait. So you are suggesting that Scotland will determine the terms of settlement and that is final? Surely that is fantasy?

Everything will be up for negotiation, and it is with these negotiations things will be settled not before independence.

No. I am suggesting exactly the same as you, that EVERYTHING is up for negotiation. Some people on this thread seem to believe that Westminster will get their way on everything. This is the fantasy.

Original post by FinalMH
:confused: How can you be so confident when there is so much uncertainty, with the result of independence. For starters, the European Union membership is one, if you have to renegotiation membership and lose your portion of the rebate then people in Scotland will lose out.

The result of the referendum is of course uncertain. But if you honestly believe that Westminster can rule Scotland with their one session of Scottish questions per month better than an independent parliament could, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

I don't think Scotland would be a net contributor to the EU, not to start with anyway, but even if they were I don't think it would be by much. What makes you think we would want/need to join the EU anyway?

Latest

Trending

Trending