The Student Room Group

Cameron Backs 'Life Means Life' Sentences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
No it shouldn't. We give people mercy in this country. We accept that human beings make mistakes, just that some make them on a grand scale. The maximum length of a prison sentence for any first offence should be 30 years. If you do it again, then perhaps you'd say double it.

Unfortunately our public seem to have a lust for punishment. Over 50% support Capital Punishment let alone longer sentences. #dailymail. Punishing someone brutally can never reverse the crime.

To be honest I don't believe in prisons. I believe in rehabilitation centres and prisoners having full rights (including to vote) and doing something useful. I'm about as raging libertarian on the issue as can be.
Original post by james22
Which is no different to having longer sentences.

No, the sentence is the exact same.
Original post by james22
Which is no different to having longer sentences.
I cant be bothered arguing you, the sentence will remain the same!
Original post by Eboracum
No it shouldn't. We give people mercy in this country. We accept that human beings make mistakes, just that some make them on a grand scale. The maximum length of a prison sentence for any first offence should be 30 years. If you do it again, then perhaps you'd say double it.

Unfortunately our public seem to have a lust for punishment. Over 50% support Capital Punishment let alone longer sentences. #dailymail. Punishing someone brutally can never reverse the crime.

To be honest I don't believe in prisons. I believe in rehabilitation centres and prisoners having full rights (including to vote) and doing something useful. I'm about as raging libertarian on the issue as can be.

Rehabilitation does not reverse the crime either.

I wouldnt say you are a libertarian, more like a lunatic. I'm a libertarian and I take the complete opposite stance to you.

A real libertarian would not want the government interfereing in the rehabilitation process. A real libertarian would allow social mob justice, rather than the government to conduct the trial and let them do as they see fit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by the bear
i just find it annoying that they use the phrase "life sentence" when they really mean "a longish sentence".

That's just a lack of understanding of the terminology though.

Sentence is both the period of imprisonment and the period spent on parole. Any person given a life sentence can be returned to prison at any time without the need for a further trial.

What you're referring to is the term, which is the period actually spent in prison.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Also, people should NEVER be let out early for good behaviour.

Yoy can't get good behaviour for murder (the crime most being discussed here it seems), the judge is legally obligated to suspend that for a murder sentencing, so you serve the full 15, 25 or 30 years (obviously you can't halve a full life term anyway).

Good behaviour is essentially a cost saving measure combined with the rule you cannot be punished for the same crime twice (same idea as double jeopardy). Prisoners are on the whole violent people, with no incentive to behave well it becomes more expensive in terms of man power to control them. The double punishment aspect is that for the law to be just everyone should be able to know what they risk in terms of punishment for doing a certain thing (whether that's breaching a contract or killing someone), with a bad behaviour rule that is lost as the prison service can indefinitely extend your sentence without the need for a further public hearing, making punishment opaque and potentially arbitrary.
Reply 66
Original post by Le Nombre
That's just a lack of understanding of the terminology though.

Sentence is both the period of imprisonment and the period spent on parole. Any person given a life sentence can be returned to prison at any time without the need for a further trial.

What you're referring to is the term, which is the period actually spent in prison.

Joe Public does not want to ferret through a warren of semantics. If someone is "sentenced to life imprisonment" it does ]not mean they are sentenced to life in prison.
Original post by Le Nombre
Yoy can't get good behaviour for murder (the crime most being discussed here it seems), the judge is legally obligated to suspend that for a murder sentencing, so you serve the full 15, 25 or 30 years (obviously you can't halve a full life term anyway).

Good behaviour is essentially a cost saving measure combined with the rule you cannot be punished for the same crime twice (same idea as double jeopardy). Prisoners are on the whole violent people, with no incentive to behave well it becomes more expensive in terms of man power to control them. The double punishment aspect is that for the law to be just everyone should be able to know what they risk in terms of punishment for doing a certain thing (whether that's breaching a contract or killing someone), with a bad behaviour rule that is lost as the prison service can indefinitely extend your sentence without the need for a further public hearing, making punishment opaque and potentially arbitrary.

I am not only referng to murder, every crime
Original post by the bear
Joe Public does not want to ferret through a warren of semantics. If someone is "sentenced to life imprisonment" it does ]not mean they are sentenced to life in prison.

If it said 'life imprisonment' it would mean exactly that, it is a sentencing option. The difference is 'life sentence' and 'life imprisonment' or 'life term'.

Yes, but this is a legal matter, unless you wish to remove crime and punishment from the legal system, semantics are important.
Reply 69
Original post by Eboracum

If you murder some and take away their right to vote, why should you retain yours?
Reply 70
Original post by Kiss
If you murder some and take away their right to vote, why should you retain yours?

This is not an argument, you haven't actually given any reasons against letting prisoners vote. I often see arguments of this form (you took away a persons x, why should you have x), and they aren't really saying anything. You could equally say "you took away someones human rights, and so should have yours taken away".
Original post by james22
This is not an argument, you haven't actually given any reasons against letting prisoners vote. I often see arguments of this form (you took away a persons x, why should you have x), and they aren't really saying anything. You could equally say "you took away someones human rights, and so should have yours taken away".

It is an argument.

Why should those who brake the law be in any position to make it? That is a legitimate argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by james22

Of course they're saying something, you said it yourself: if you rob someone of their rights then you forfeit your own.
Reply 73
Original post by the mezzil
It is an argument.

Why should those who brake the law be in any position to make it? That is a legitimate argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not making any points though. If you say prisoners should not vote you need to back this up with the dissadvantages that come from prisoners voting cs teh advantages.

Original post by Kiss
Of course they're saying something, you said it yourself: if you rob someone of their rights then you forfeit your own.

Are you really saying that if you are found guilty of murder, you should lose all your human rights?
Reply 74
Original post by james22
It's not making any points though. If you say prisoners should not vote you need to back this up with the dissadvantages that come from prisoners voting cs teh advantages.

Are you really saying that if you are found guilty of murder, you should lose all your human rights?

Who said you'd lose ALL your human rights? All I said was they don't deserve to vote.
Reply 75
Original post by Bill_Gates
For mass murder i.e terrorist attacks - Yes

Normal sentences of 30 years should be more harsh and not a trip to butlins.

A trip to Butlins would be just as ****ing harsh...
Original post by james22

No it is not a political debate, it is a ethical debate of ideaology. You dont need evidence. Besides, if you want me to use evidence I could just say they dont pay tax, so it would be a cost to the treasury since they would have to spend money senting up polling stations for voters who dont pay tax. Moreover, you must provide evidence first to change the status quo. Im all ears.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Kiss
Who said you'd lose ALL your human rights? All I said was they don't deserve to vote.

I know, but you didn't back that up with anything. You said that if you kill someone, you take their right to vote, so you should lose yours. But this also applies to every single human right, since by killing someone you take all their rights.

No it is not a political debate, it is a ethical debate of ideaology. You dont need evidence. Besides, if you want me to use evidence I could just say they dont pay tax, so it would be a cost to the treasury since they would have to spend money senting up polling stations for voters who dont pay tax. Moreover, you must provide evidence first to change the status quo. Im all ears.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not arguing for or against prisoners voting, just that the logic that they shouldn't have it because they took their victims right to vote don't make sense.
Original post by james22
I know, but you didn't back that up with anything. You said that if you kill someone, you take their right to vote, so you should lose yours. But this also applies to every single human right, since by killing someone you take all their rights.

I'm not arguing for or against prisoners voting, just that the logic that they shouldn't have it because they took their victims right to vote don't make sense.

Makes sense to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Makes sense to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By the same logic you could say that murderers should lose all their human rights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending