The Student Room Group

English help

Please can someone give advice for english literature. I used to consistently get grades 9s & 8s untill my teacher left in year 11, then for all of year 11 till now my school stopped teaching us english literature and focussed on language. I recently did a paper 2 english mock, in year 10 when i did it i got a grade 8 (2 marks off a nine), when I did the very same mock in year 11 (the Qs were really similar) I got a grade 5. It is possible to go up to a grade 8 2 weeks before my exams? I currently feel horrible bcs I used to love eng lit but now it's my worst subject and I have no idea how to revise for it.
Original post by 234532dsd32
Please can someone give advice for english literature. I used to consistently get grades 9s & 8s untill my teacher left in year 11, then for all of year 11 till now my school stopped teaching us english literature and focussed on language. I recently did a paper 2 english mock, in year 10 when i did it i got a grade 8 (2 marks off a nine), when I did the very same mock in year 11 (the Qs were really similar) I got a grade 5. It is possible to go up to a grade 8 2 weeks before my exams? I currently feel horrible bcs I used to love eng lit but now it's my worst subject and I have no idea how to revise for it.

what board are u doing
Reply 2
Original post by riotdontdenyit
what board are u doing

AQA

I think you can climb back up to a grade 9 if you set your mind on it differently. Remotivate yourself by looking back through your notes, seeing where you went wrong (look at A01, A02 and A03). Was it techniques? Was it lack of vocabulary? Or was it poor analysis? Do some practice papers too. Good luck with your exams!
(Original post by 234532dsd32)AQA

AQA

Personally, there are two subjects which I care abt to the point where I cannot do anything less than a 9 in; english and art. So idk what you need to do for aqa but I am doing CIE and to ensure I don't panic and write badly, I am memorising about like a page worth of detailed essay plans for every sub topic, when I say this I mean like pre-composed topic sentences asw so you sound complex and whatnot. Its a lot of memorising but it always leaves me with full marks on lit exams but that's only cos I'm not naturally gifted in English and cant sit there and waffle while sounding smart. Wait I'll show u one of my essay plans for a poem from our anthology:

15. Elinor Wylie-Now let no charitable hope

Intro
Born into high-society, Elinor had high expectations of her future, being handed numerous opportunities yet turning them all down. As alluded to in this poem, being forced into living out other people’s dreams by proxy proved to be entrapping. Wylie’s endeavours to escape was based on the realities of women in the early 20th century.
Main body
Form
(after lexical field of hardship) Despite her negativity Wylie controls her emotions tightly which is seen through the structure of the lines, each of these mirroring eachother, forming a parallelism, balanced by a semi colon. This precise structure conveys her self control and composure in the face of adversity
The poem is composed in iambic tetrameter and a stanzaic form, this metre was very common in Wylie’s time and her usage of this metre may be emblematic of her conforming to such normalities. The common nature of her metre suggests her life is not any different to most and the hardship she articulates is a universal truth
The hardship being indubitable just be “being a woman [and] being human|”, here there is minor rhythmical variation as there is an extra syllable in the word, “being”. Ths compounds the notion that life was particularly difficult and irregular for women in the age she lives in. Soon the iambic tetrameter resumes and this can be interpreted as he regaining control over her unfavourable circumstances
Meaning and message
Her desires to escape from a society that constrains her is particularly apparent in the first stanza as an eage and antelope are mentioned. These animals both have strong connotations of freeedom and it can be inferred that they are reminiscent of an escape from social and earthly constraints
Wylie uses words in the lexical field of dreams such as… “hope, images. And mind” which build a contrast between the life she is forced into and the one she fantasizes of.
Nevertheless, the poems title itself, ,informs the reader that she accepts her place in the world and she conveys this in a tone of certainty and determination. The first line of the first stanza is in the imperative, summoning her readers to not pity her; her “hopes| only being “charitable” thus stemming from symptathy. Yet she refuses this charity and states that she cannot be “by nature none of these”
Alliteration in nature none, strongly ending first stanza with emphatic tone becoming progressively more insistent
Poetic elements
The tone of his poem is rather ambiguous as it can be interpreted in a number of ways, as the poem is written from a knowledgable perspective, not shy of ideas of hardship, it can be said to have a contemplative, authoritative and somewhat even wise tone.
Wylie develops her ideas in declarative yet composed sentences, repeated “I am”. It can be said that the first stanza discusses fantasies of escaping while through the second one is put back into the harsh reality. To exemplify this the diction changes to words in the lexical field of hardship such as alone, best, and get. These are put forth employing plosives, creating a harsh sound reminiscent of feelings of frustration and general negativity.
Metaphor of “squeezing from a stone” implies that every small win is a great effort and happiness can only be attained throug much strain, this beckons the reader to feel sorry for Wylie as she works so hard yet receives little in return.
Squeezing any drop of comfort or any “little nutrition” from a “stone implies great fortitude and strenght
She describes a string of people some “austere” and muted while outhers frivolous abd “outrageous”. This juxtaposition between contrasting masks suggest there is a universal sense to her life experience proving that regardless of who you are society has means of making one conform.
Everyone in a “single file”, somewhat disturbing, how such a vast variety of fun people are forced into conformitiy, the word “masks” even suggesting that these people are trying to hide their true selves.-perhaps exemplifies secrecy and false appearances in upper class circles
Conclusion
Although she builds a rather alienating image she finishes the poem on a positive note, proving her own strength in the face of such adversity. She has faced all this hardship with dignity and perseverance and the last word of the poem being “smile” gives us the impression that the speaker has gained a lot of inner strength from all her experiences and she has learnt to put on a smile and move along through life.
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by riotdontdenyit
(Original post by 234532dsd32)AQA

Personally, there are two subjects which I care abt to the point where I cannot do anything less than a 9 in; english and art. So idk what you need to do for aqa but I am doing CIE and to ensure I don't panic and write badly, I am memorising about like a page worth of detailed essay plans for every sub topic, when I say this I mean like pre-composed topic sentences asw so you sound complex and whatnot. Its a lot of memorising but it always leaves me with full marks on lit exams but that's only cos I'm not naturally gifted in English and cant sit there and waffle while sounding smart. Wait I'll show u one of my essay plans for a poem from our anthology:

15. Elinor Wylie-Now let no charitable hope

Intro
Born into high-society, Elinor had high expectations of her future, being handed numerous opportunities yet turning them all down. As alluded to in this poem, being forced into living out other people’s dreams by proxy proved to be entrapping. Wylie’s endeavours to escape was based on the realities of women in the early 20th century.
Main body
Form
(after lexical field of hardship) Despite her negativity Wylie controls her emotions tightly which is seen through the structure of the lines, each of these mirroring eachother, forming a parallelism, balanced by a semi colon. This precise structure conveys her self control and composure in the face of adversity
The poem is composed in imabic tetrameter and a stanzaic form, this metre was very common in Wylie’s time and her usage of this metre may be emblematic of her conforming to such normalities. The common nature of her metre suggests her life is not any different to most and the hardship she articulates is a universal truth
He hardship being indubitable just be “being a woman [and] being human|”, here there is minor rhythmical variation as there is an extra syllable in the word, “being”. Ths compounds the notion that life was particularly difficult and irregular for women in the age she lives in. Soon the iambic tetrameter resumes and this can be interpreted as he regaining control over her unfavourable circumstances
Meaning and message
Her desires to escape from a society that constrains her is particularly apparent in the first stanza as an eage and antelope are mentioned. These animals both have strong connotations of freeedom and it can be inferred that they are reminiscent of an escape from social and earthly constraints
Wylie uses words in the lexical field of dreams such as… “hope, images. And mind” which build a contrast between the life she is forced into and the one she fantasizes of.
Nevertheless, the poems title itself, ,informs the reader that she accepts her place in the world and she conveys this in a tone of certainty and determination. The first line of the first stanza is in the imperative, summoning her readers to not pity her; her “hopes| only being “charitable” thus stemming from symptathy. Yet she refuses this charity and states that she cannot be “by nature none of these”
Alliteration in nature none, strongly ending first stanza with emphatic tone becoming progressively more insistent
Poetic elements
The tone of his poem is rather ambiguous as it can be interpreted in a number of ways, as the poem is written from a knowledgable perspective, not shy of ideas of hardship, it can be said to have a contemplative, authoritative and somewhat even wise tone.
Wylie develops her ideas in declarative yet composed sentences, repeated “I am”. It can be said that the first stanza discusses fantasies of escaping while through the second one is put back into the harsh reality. To exemplify this the diction changes to words in the lexical field of hardship such as alone, best, and get. These are put forth employing plosives, creating a harsh sound reminiscent of feelings of frustration and general negativity.
Metaphor of “squeezing from a stone” implies that every small win is a great effort and happiness can only be attained throug much strain, this beckons the reader to feel sorry for Wylie as she works so hard yet receives little in return.
Squeezing any drop of comfort or any “little nutrition” from a “stone implies great fortitude and strenght
She describes a string of people some “austere” and muted while outhers frivolous abd “outrageous”. This juxtaposition between contrasting masks suggest there is a universal sense to her life experience proving that regardless of who you are society has means of making one conform.
Everyone in a “single file”, somewhat disturbing, how such a vast variety of fun people are forced into conformitiy, the word “masks” even suggesting that these people are trying to hide their true selves.-perhaps exemplifies secrecy and false appearances in upper class circles
Conclusion
Although she builds a rather alienating image she finishes the poem on a positive note, proving her own strength in the face of such adversity. She has faced all this hardship with dignity and perseverance and the last word of the poem being “smile” gives us the impression that the speaker has gained a lot of inner strength from all her experiences and she has learnt to put on a smile and move along through life.

fyi this is a bad example cos it has grammar mistakes and its just brief -not in full sentences, but still if you are worried and want a nine just make it foolproof
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 6
(Original post by riotdontdenyit)fyi this is a bad example cos it has grammar mistakes and its just brief -not in full sentences, but still if you are worried and want a nine just make it foolproof

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm just going to make quick simple essay plans for each topic as the exam is in a week. Do you follow any particular structure for your essays? Like peel or something
(Original post by riotdontdenyit)fyi this is a bad example cos it has grammar mistakes and its just brief -not in full sentences, but still if you are worried and want a nine just make it foolproof

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm just going to make quick simple essay plans for each topic as the exam is in a week. Do you follow any particular structure for your essays? Like peel or something

Yes I just explore each and every quote in depth from different perspectives esp in prose and drama like if there's a quote, first I'll discuss the connotations, then the scansion/metre etc, then like the literary effects etc. I don't exactly follow a PEEl consciously but it does amount to it at the end. I think just don't make it too rigid of an essay plans cos I've seen people making ones which are like para one: xxx, para two: xy, etc. and then when they have a question which is unexpected they struggle to adapt it yk. Just make sure you have a few like out of the ordinary ideas which the average student wouldn't be able to think of so you can do better than average; even if its a big reach.

Quick Reply

Latest