The Student Room Group

[POLL] If a homeless guy asked you for money, what would you do?

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;2Rsc-2oMB0s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rsc-2oMB0s[/video]
Original post by geoking
Buying him food allows him to continue his cyce of drug abuse.

What a stretch. It also allows him to continue living and possibly get over his addiction.
Original post by geoking
And I'm asking why?
Oh right, because if you break the law, you get kicked out.

I think it's more to do with a lot of junkies being homeless because of their drug habits than all homeless people being junkies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The other day I was such a bitch.

I was going into Tesco and as I don't bring cash with me I always bring my card. I couldn't give any spare change to a homeless person who asked because I didn't have any.

What I should have done though was offer him some of my crisps/other food as I came out with bags of shopping. :facepalm2: Realized this as I was half way up the road back.

Although it's questionable when they sit by cash machines, guilt tripping people and it's an invasion of privacy for anyone to be in your personal space when you're at the machine
Original post by Blind Ferret
Also just a point, those who say they'll ignore him, pretend not to hear. I understand it can make you awkward, you don't want to be bothered. But it's such a horrible thing to do.

He'll be getting called names, ignored, treated as sub-human all day. You can at least give a quick smile, polite nod, it doesn't have to be verbal. Just an acknowledgement.

I really don't understand why people abuse the homeless, why do they do this?
Original post by Ripper-Roo

Some people in life are just dicks, and their dick-ish ways are unknown to all but themselves. :iiam:

Posted from TSR Mobile
people sneering at the homeless from their computer chair. typical tsr.

Original post by majmuh24
Some people in life are just dicks, and their dick-ish ways are unknown to all but themselves. :iiam:

Posted from TSR Mobile

people sneering at the homeless from their computer chair. typical tsr.

It's not my fault he's homeless. I owe him nothing at all. I shouldn't be made to feel like I owe this man something that I've earned.
Original post by Silver Arrows
It's not my fault he's homeless. I owe him nothing at all. I shouldn't be made to feel like I owe this man something that I've earned.

Maybe, and there's nothing wrong with that, but try and let the guy down gently. Abusing a homeless person is kind of harsh IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 229
I voted 'other'. I rarely come across a homeless person, but there is one 'regular' who just sits on the fence outside Morrisons and asks a few people who walk past him if they have any change. The homeless people I do see are almost always outside supermarkets or food shops.

I'm the type of person who feels guilt but out of fear of feeding a junkie's habit or handing my money away to a gambler, I will buy them something small from the shop I'm going into. Usually a hot drink or maybe a small cold cut sandwich. I think even if they don't get any money from anyone else, at least they've had something warm or something to eat, y'know?

I can say as I walk past "no, sorry, I have no change" honestly, because I pay by card everywhere. I'm a poor student but I'd like to think somebody would do the same for me.
Original post by majmuh24
Maybe, and there's nothing wrong with that, but try and let the guy down gently. Abusing a homeless person is kind of harsh IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not abusing him, I'm just ignoring him.
Reply 231
I try and give most homeless people I come across at least something, even if it is only a penny in my back pocket. It's like I can't help it, seeing people out on the street breaks my black little heart :frown:
Reply 232
I usually give them a cigarette.
I'm not abusing him, I'm just ignoring him.

Oh fine then, there's nothing wrong with that.

Abusing homeless people is pathetic and horrible to the people that actually do it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Original post by unsureagnostic
What a stretch. It also allows him to continue living and possibly get over his addiction.

What a stretch.
Reply 235
I was outside a mosque the other day and a women dressed as a muslim begs to people around the entrance, i would of gave something but i know its fake they are actually eastern europeans non muslims who dress in a burqa and go to mosques saying they are albanian muslims because they get more money from people who are feeling very charitable outside a mosque.

No, it's not your fault, I never claimed it was. But one day you could be made homeless.

You're not in that situation because you had parents that (presumably) cared for you and you've had a roof over your head and never in a situation where you've been kicked out. You can then apply for jobs etc, to ensure you're in a better financial position.

Everyone has problems etc, but I don't think it gets as bad as having no home to go to. Just kicking them when they're down and saying they brought it upon themselves achieves nothing.
No, it's not your fault, I never claimed it was. But one day you could be made homeless.

You're not in that situation because you had parents that (presumably) cared for you and you've had a roof over your head and never in a situation where you've been kicked out. You can then apply for jobs etc, to ensure you're in a better financial position.

Everyone has problems etc, but I don't think it gets as bad as having no home to go to. Just kicking them when they're down and saying they brought it upon themselves achieves nothing.

I never said that they brought it on themselves, maybe someone else in the thread did?

Bottom line is that I don't owe them squat, not even a smile. I'm a believer of 'Life isn't fair' & 'Survival of the fittest'. It's a shame that he's homeless, but it isn't my job to make it better for him, nor should I have to put up with the flak I get for ignoring them.
I never said that they brought it on themselves, maybe someone else in the thread did?

Bottom line is that I don't owe them squat, not even a smile. I'm a believer of 'Life isn't fair' & 'Survival of the fittest'. It's a shame that he's homeless, but it isn't my job to make it better for him, nor should I have to put up with the flak I get for ignoring them.

It's all well and good saying survival of the fittest, but sometimes the factors that make people the winners and losers are beyond their control. Nobody is born on an unequal footing and I think a better way of judging someone is just on what they've done rather than their shortcomings.

Anyway, no I don't think you should be slapped on the wrist for ignoring, it's up to you. My primary issue is more with people who actively go out of their way to abuse the homeless like kicking them or shouting at them etc.
Original post by Bridget Jones
x

Buy him/her food and water - so I know I'm not just handing money over to fuel any chance of addictions.

I've experienced this before:

"Can you spare some change?"
Me: "I'll buy you some food instead"
"No, I'll just have the cash"

I wonder what they really want it for... :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest