The Student Room Group

First year at uni not many friends.

I am in my first year at uni, I have not made many friends a lot of acquaintances but not 'friends'. I also live in halls,and some of my flatmates are just alright, I go with two of them to eat dinner as I am catered. This also means I spend most of my weekends in my room, which I don't mind that much. but when I talk to one of my flatmate in particular she always says the same things: what did you do today stay in your room? You should go out more... Etc, but never offers to go out with me. Whenever I am around her she makes me feel more homesick and makes me feel like I don't want to be here, I usually don't feel homesick (I am an international student)
any advice on what I should do. Is it still possible to make friends next year?
Reply 1
I'm in the same situation and also in catered halls but I always end up eating alone.
Do u mind if i ask what uni are u at?
Reply 2
I'm the same, it sucks when most people around me just want to go out and get drunk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have done my uni but still i can feel about what u r saying.
Reply 4
Why don't you ask people what they are doing and if it is ok if you tag along?
Go along to your Students' Union office or have a look on their webpage and see if they have any clubs or societies that link to any of your interests (or try something new!). That way you will meet a group of people that you have something in common with right from the word go.
One thing I learned is that you have to make the effort yourself if you want to make friends. People aren't mind-readers -- Next time that person says about you staying in your room - ask when they are next going out or invite her over for some tea etc.

You would be amazed how many people say yes to cinema/dinner/clubbing when you ask around -- A lot of people want to be sociable but it takes someone to start it - you!
It takes time you know, this sounds like me every year lol :biggrin: Just keep being yourself, be friendly and try to initiate conversation where you wouldn't normally and you'll find that you slowly drift into a friendship circle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending