The Student Room Group

After sixth form

Hi I'm currently 18 years finishing my last year of a levels but i decided to spend the next two years doing a fashion course at college. This means that ill start university at 20 years and i wanted to know if that was strange because lots of people are shocked at my decision.
Original post by Kosmos234
Hi I'm currently 18 years finishing my last year of a levels but i decided to spend the next two years doing a fashion course at college. This means that ill start university at 20 years and i wanted to know if that was strange because lots of people are shocked at my decision.

Hi!

I'm currently in my first year of Uni, took a gap year and as I'm a September baby am also 20. I was a little apprehensive at first too, because I didn't want to be so much older than everyone - but many of my friends reassured me that its not unusual to be a little older than the traditional fresh-out-of-sixth-form-18-year-old-at-university thing.
I was actually quite shocked at how many of my peers were also 19 to 21 years old, a lot of my class took gap years or did a foundation year, so most of the girls in my friend group on my course are 20 already - same with my out of course friend group!

You meet such a range of people at university who have all taken different paths to getting there, with such a range of ages, I can assure you, being 20 in your first year is absolutely ok and normal.

I hope this helps!

Thea (Kingston Rep)
Reply 2
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi!

I'm currently in my first year of Uni, took a gap year and as I'm a September baby am also 20. I was a little apprehensive at first too, because I didn't want to be so much older than everyone - but many of my friends reassured me that its not unusual to be a little older than the traditional fresh-out-of-sixth-form-18-year-old-at-university thing.
I was actually quite shocked at how many of my peers were also 19 to 21 years old, a lot of my class took gap years or did a foundation year, so most of the girls in my friend group on my course are 20 already - same with my out of course friend group!

You meet such a range of people at university who have all taken different paths to getting there, with such a range of ages, I can assure you, being 20 in your first year is absolutely ok and normal.

I hope this helps!

Thea (Kingston Rep)

Oh thank you so much. This really helped me out a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest