The Student Room Group

How to show great interest in Medicine in the application?

So I was wondering what kind of activities would really show that you're crazy about it, and also what other activities will fulfill the non-scientific aspect of medicine, so what kind of volunteering and extra-curricular. I'm considering duke of Edinburgh gold, is that worth putting into the application? Would be much obliged for your help, many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tonnes of volunteering and do some kind of research/essay on a medical subject.
Reply 2
You don't need research essays

Just get a long term volunteering role in a care sector, get work experience and show what you've learnt from it in your PS
I think anything extra-curricular is good, especially if you've been doing it for a long time, or if it's something unusual as it makes you stand out a little more. Try and get volunteering as close to a caring role as possible, but from experience, I can tell you it's hard to find, particularly if you're under 18 (I'm only just finishing my application to volunteer on a physiotherapy ward and I was 18 in October!). If you're struggling, look for local community groups, such as sports clubs for the disabled, or even something like St John Ambulance! Hunt around, but try and organise it as soon as possible :smile: You can pretty much learn and apply skills in any situation to a career in medicine if you keep an open mind. I hope this helps!
Reply 4
you can also read books that are related to medicine and mention it in your personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mynameishello
So I was wondering what kind of activities would really show that you're crazy about it, and also what other activities will fulfill the non-scientific aspect of medicine, so what kind of volunteering and extra-curricular. I'm considering duke of Edinburgh gold, is that worth putting into the application? Would be much obliged for your help, many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only do D of E if it interests you, not to put on a ps. It will not help you with a medicine application, where the space is much better used in demonstrating your long term volunteering commitment and the breadth of your work experience.
Reply 6
Original post by mynameishello

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say that long-term volunteering is most effective, talking about a long stint in a care home really helped me at interview. One hour every week for, say, 6 months will show more than enough commitment. Don't worry too much about DofE Gold, silver will show you have just as many of the skills anyway! I think too much emphasis is put on getting loads of experience though, worry more about what you get out of an experience and what you can say about it.
Reply 7
I never claimed to do 6 months! That's just an ideal length..I managed 4 anyway haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Only do D of E if it interests you, not to put on a ps. It will not help you with a medicine application, where the space is much better used in demonstrating your long term volunteering commitment and the breadth of your work experience.

I thought it was pretty standard to have a paragraph on extracurricular activities on a medicine PS, which can include things like D of E, sports, etc, and what skills you have learnt from them.

I would agree that doing something like D of E solely for the PS is a waste of time, though.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I thought it was pretty standard to have a paragraph on extracurricular activities on a medicine PS, which can include things like D of E, sports, etc, and what skills you have learnt from them.

I would agree that doing something like D of E solely for the PS is a waste of time, though.

There's not really enough space for this to be a big section and D of E is not going to stand out.
Reply 10
Original post by Miel Purple
You don't need research essays

Just get a long term volunteering role in a care sector, get work experience and show what you've learnt from it in your PS

Never said you need research essays, but most applicants will have long term volunteering roles, and doing something a bit different i.e. Peterhouse kelvin Science Prize or similar can show that the academic side of medicine appeals to you as well as the caring side.

It went down very well whenever I mentioned it at interview.
Original post by Gibber96
Never said you need research essays, but most applicants will have long term volunteering roles, and doing something a bit different i.e. Peterhouse kelvin Science Prize or similar can show that the academic side of medicine appeals to you as well as the caring side.

It went down very well whenever I mentioned it at interview.

Yes fine but I would rather do something non-academic as grades are academic enough unless you're applying to Oxbridge/ucl/imp
Reply 12
Yes fine but I would rather do something non-academic as grades are academic enough unless you're applying to Oxbridge/ucl/imp

I think exercising your academia skills outside of your educational life shows just as much interest as volunteering does. Writing software from a software development course in your own time, is a good example.
DofE is a rubber stamp. Do medical related stuff instead.
Original post by AdampskiB
I think exercising your academia skills outside of your educational life shows just as much interest as volunteering does. Writing software from a software development course in your own time, is a good example.

Loool no it's not....I would rather pick someone based on their non academics rather than their academics.

Being a good doctor isn't just about academics. If it was, the majority would get in.
Reply 15

I'm just saying it's a gift at interview if you can talk about how great the research is at that medical school and then point to some further study you did in an area of medicine that interests you, and that goes for any medical school; none of my interviews were at traditionally academic interviews.

Obviously I'm not saying that the essay alone was instrumental in getting the offers but it can really help you stand out from the crowds.
Original post by Gibber96
I'm just saying it's a gift at interview if you can talk about how great the research is at that medical school and then point to some further study you did in an area of medicine that interests you, and that goes for any medical school; none of my interviews were at traditionally academic interviews.

Obviously I'm not saying that the essay alone was instrumental in getting the offers but it can really help you stand out from the crowds.

Alright then:smile: as long as you can talk about anything related to medicine, that should be great.
Reply 17
Alright then:smile: as long as you can talk about anything related to medicine, that should be great.

Agreed.
Reply 18
Loool no it's not....I would rather pick someone based on their non academics rather than their academics.

Being a good doctor isn't just about academics. If it was, the majority would get in.

Sorry, which part of my sentence did you find funny and to what part are you saying "no it's not"?
Original post by AdampskiB
Sorry, which part of my sentence did you find funny and to what part are you saying "no it's not"?

I was laughing at your example.

No it's not....it's not a good example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending