The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Creative Writing Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LittleInnocence
this is sooo crazy! I need that too and i did AS ICT as well! I got confused as i needed a minimum of 320, yet 260 from a levels, so would they accept me if i get 260? Haven't made my firm and insurance just yet!

I think you need 260 from A Levels, and the other 60 from other qualifications like your AS ICT :smile: Ah, where else did you apply?
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by ageofsmiles
Awesome! I have a Level 3 Performing Arts BTEC plus a pass in my Grade 7 Flute I took years ago so I guess I'm pretty set haha. Yep, Bath Spa is my firm and my insurance is Derby, the course there is really good but I wasn't too excited about the location, I feel like I would just be inspired to write loads at Bath! I have the same problem of not finishing my stuff, I have loads of small bits that I've started! What's your insurance?

Oh and is it OK if I PM you both my FB account? I'm thinking we all add each other and chat in the coming months :smile: Also before I forget, are either of you going to the Applicant Day next Tuesday? OK sorry for all the questions, I'm just quite excited hahaha!

I'm going to the applicant visit day on the 16 which is a Wednesday so sorry you wont be seeing me! Once I'm certain that bath spa is my firm, I'll consider adding u on fb, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm a bit funny about who i add, as i don't really know you, but if i meet u in September and we become friends then definately! :smile:
Reply 22
I'm going to the applicant visit day on the 16 which is a Wednesday so sorry you wont be seeing me! Once I'm certain that bath spa is my firm, I'll consider adding u on fb, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm a bit funny about who i add, as i don't really know you, but if i meet u in September and we become friends then definately! :smile:

That's OK, I understand :smile: I hope to see you in September! Good luck in your exams! :smile:
Original post by ageofsmiles
That's OK, I understand :smile: I hope to see you in September! Good luck in your exams! :smile:

Thank-you you too! I just want them done and out the way, I'm so excited for uni! :biggrin:
Were either of you guys thinking of doing joint honours creative writing? I was thinking just single, just curious :smile:
Reply 25
I've been given offers to do Creative Writing at both Bath Spa and Nottingham and can't decide which one to go for.
Hi everyone, I'm from the Isle of Wight and joining Creative Writing at Bath Spa 2014 :wink: (Well, conditionally...)

So glad I found C/W forum to talk to people at...

Life on the mainland will certainly be different. I'm a 4th generation born + bred islander, so I'll be the naive, childish one that you have to carry home after a night out...

It's nice to meet you all! ^_^
Original post by Chidori96
Hi everyone, I'm from the Isle of Wight and joining Creative Writing at Bath Spa 2014 :wink: (Well, conditionally...)

So glad I found C/W forum to talk to people at...

Life on the mainland will certainly be different. I'm a 4th generation born + bred islander, so I'll be the naive, childish one that you have to carry home after a night out...

It's nice to meet you all! ^_^

Nice to meet you too! the Isle of Wight sounds like a great place to visit! I have mixed feelings about freshers, I'm not a huge party person at all (small group of friends is fine), so it will be a whole new territory for me and I'm terrified! Just need to pass exams now! aaah stress!
Reply 28
Hi! Thought that since I've confirmed my place at Bath Spa for Writing/Publishing I'd try and find some other people who are going to be there. :smile:

Looking forward to starting in September; but I'm feeling kind of nervous as well. But nice to meet you all! I'm curious though, will people doing Writing/Publishing be with anyone doing just Creative Writing or is it two separate classes??

(And LittleInnocence: glad I'm not going to be the only one who isn't big on partying. I actually don't drink so I'm kinda skeptical on how I'm going to fit in at Uni xD)
Original post by Saidani
Hi! Thought that since I've confirmed my place at Bath Spa for Writing/Publishing I'd try and find some other people who are going to be there. :smile:

Looking forward to starting in September; but I'm feeling kind of nervous as well. But nice to meet you all! I'm curious though, will people doing Writing/Publishing be with anyone doing just Creative Writing or is it two separate classes??

(And LittleInnocence: glad I'm not going to be the only one who isn't big on partying. I actually don't drink so I'm kinda skeptical on how I'm going to fit in at Uni xD)

Hi :smile: I'm not sure about the class things, I guess we'll find out sooner to the time! But when I attended the Applicant Visit Day, I went with the intention of doing just Creative Writing Single Honours, but been told I have to choose a 'complementary subject' to go with it at the beginning of freshers (which made it sound like I change to joint honours) but I can drop this complementary subject in second year. I'm thinking of choosing Publishing, but I'm not sure on what other subjects I can choose. Is this right? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Is anyone applying for the new halls? If so, I'm jealous cos they look amazing! At the moment, I think I'm going to be a Commuter cos I live too close to get halls. Anyone else a Commuter? Hope I'm not alone in this! :/

@Saidani: I don't drink either, so I'm sure we'll find others who are like us and form a group :smile:
Reply 30
Hi :smile: I'm not sure about the class things, I guess we'll find out sooner to the time! But when I attended the Applicant Visit Day, I went with the intention of doing just Creative Writing Single Honours, but been told I have to choose a 'complementary subject' to go with it at the beginning of freshers (which made it sound like I change to joint honours) but I can drop this complementary subject in second year. I'm thinking of choosing Publishing, but I'm not sure on what other subjects I can choose. Is this right? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Is anyone applying for the new halls? If so, I'm jealous cos they look amazing! At the moment, I think I'm going to be a Commuter cos I live too close to get halls. Anyone else a Commuter? Hope I'm not alone in this! :/

@Saidani: I don't drink either, so I'm sure we'll find others who are like us and form a group :smile:

Um, I'm doing a combined course from the get-go, so I'm not sure but I'd assume that you could choose from any other of the combined courses. So Publishing, English Lit, Drama studies, Sociology etc. There's quite a few. I'd just go on the Bath Spa website and see all combined courses they have there. I'm sure they'll let you know more once you start, though.

No, sadly I live only 16 miles away so I'm not able to apply for them. :frown: Alas, it's living at home for me, at least during the first year. You're not alone!

The Sober Group! xD

Just curious, since we're all doing Writing, at least, what sort of things do you write?
Original post by Saidani
Um, I'm doing a combined course from the get-go, so I'm not sure but I'd assume that you could choose from any other of the combined courses. So Publishing, English Lit, Drama studies, Sociology etc. There's quite a few. I'd just go on the Bath Spa website and see all combined courses they have there. I'm sure they'll let you know more once you start, though.

No, sadly I live only 16 miles away so I'm not able to apply for them. :frown: Alas, it's living at home for me, at least during the first year. You're not alone!

The Sober Group! xD

Just curious, since we're all doing Writing, at least, what sort of things do you write?

Yaay another Commuter! If all goes well with exams and I get into bath spa, i'll be living at home too (then commuting to the university) Oooh if they have sociology as an option, I may pick that as I'm currently doing it for A-Level. I was told that apparently they're changing it so we can only pick a subject from the humanities department, plus drama studies. I'll have to see. I'd rather know before I start, cos I'm that kind of person, saves me from panicking and worrying about what I'm supposed to do!

I write fictional stories, mostly romance (i'm a bit of a helpless romantic) I like poetry too, so I like to write poems, but they kind of turn into songs. I'd love to write a play, that sounds so cool! Scriptwriting appeals to me too as I do Media Studies and love filming! Just anything that comes to mind i need to write down. My phone is loaded with notes and I'm a bit of a stationary freak slash notebook hoarder...
What about you? :smile:
Reply 32
Yaay another Commuter! If all goes well with exams and I get into bath spa, i'll be living at home too (then commuting to the university) Oooh if they have sociology as an option, I may pick that as I'm currently doing it for A-Level. I was told that apparently they're changing it so we can only pick a subject from the humanities department, plus drama studies. I'll have to see. I'd rather know before I start, cos I'm that kind of person, saves me from panicking and worrying about what I'm supposed to do!

I write fictional stories, mostly romance (i'm a bit of a helpless romantic) I like poetry too, so I like to write poems, but they kind of turn into songs. I'd love to write a play, that sounds so cool! Scriptwriting appeals to me too as I do Media Studies and love filming! Just anything that comes to mind i need to write down. My phone is loaded with notes and I'm a bit of a stationary freak slash notebook hoarder...
What about you? :smile:

I understand that entirely. I've tried to find out what the course is going to be like because if I'm completely in the dark I'll be panicking like crazy come September. I like knowing what I'm going to be doing.

I write fiction as well. Not horror, exactly, but things that are a little bit darker, and with a paranormal twist. (Example: thing I'm writing now is based around a flesh embodiment of murder.) Poetry, ah, I admire anyone who can write poetry. I suck at it. ^^;
Scriptwriting is something I'm really looking forward to trying, though! I'm hoping we learn a bit about that.
I'm beginning to think that hoarding notebooks is a requirement for being a writer. I have loads of them. (Though I try to write up all the idea on my phone otherwise I've got pages of notes on it...)
Original post by Saidani
I understand that entirely. I've tried to find out what the course is going to be like because if I'm completely in the dark I'll be panicking like crazy come September. I like knowing what I'm going to be doing.

I write fiction as well. Not horror, exactly, but things that are a little bit darker, and with a paranormal twist. (Example: thing I'm writing now is based around a flesh embodiment of murder.) Poetry, ah, I admire anyone who can write poetry. I suck at it. ^^;
Scriptwriting is something I'm really looking forward to trying, though! I'm hoping we learn a bit about that.
I'm beginning to think that hoarding notebooks is a requirement for being a writer. I have loads of them. (Though I try to write up all the idea on my phone otherwise I've got pages of notes on it...)

I'm exactly the same! I like knowing things. The worst is when someone knows something that is important and I'm supposed to know too otherwise I panic and I'm like "When were you told this?! I was never told this!" I like to prepare myself beforehand.

That sounds interesting, I've always wanted to write a murder mystery but have no clue how! I'm currently writing something, but i've stopped due to revising for exams and a serious case of lack of inspiration and writer's block. I've been told once I know how the story ends, I can write the rest, I'm just stuck with how I want my story to end and what sort of events can lead up to the ending! It's about a rebellious teenage boy who's mother died from cancer and he committed a crime as a result - the inspiration for this story came from what I learnt in sociology!

I need to learn how to be less descriptive. I think I make my stories boring by being over-descriptive and giving away too much of the plot, but I guess it's a learning experience :smile:

Just because I'm curious, do you read a lot? I like reading, but I'm not a very fast reader and don't have much time to read and apparently to be a good writer, you need to read. Uni Reading Lists is one thing I'm excited for, but nervous for too!
Reply 34
I'm exactly the same! I like knowing things. The worst is when someone knows something that is important and I'm supposed to know too otherwise I panic and I'm like "When were you told this?! I was never told this!" I like to prepare myself beforehand.

That sounds interesting, I've always wanted to write a murder mystery but have no clue how! I'm currently writing something, but i've stopped due to revising for exams and a serious case of lack of inspiration and writer's block. I've been told once I know how the story ends, I can write the rest, I'm just stuck with how I want my story to end and what sort of events can lead up to the ending! It's about a rebellious teenage boy who's mother died from cancer and he committed a crime as a result - the inspiration for this story came from what I learnt in sociology!

I need to learn how to be less descriptive. I think I make my stories boring by being over-descriptive and giving away too much of the plot, but I guess it's a learning experience :smile:

Just because I'm curious, do you read a lot? I like reading, but I'm not a very fast reader and don't have much time to read and apparently to be a good writer, you need to read. Uni Reading Lists is one thing I'm excited for, but nervous for too!

Haha, I'm just glad it isn't me who's like that. It's why I'm so jumpy about Student Finance: I've sent in my evidence, and now it's just a waiting game. But I need to know if they got the evidence, and if it's acceptable. Majorly not liking just waiting and hoping its all okay. I want to know the finance side is all taken care of and done.

It's not really a murder mystery, just about someone who is the living embodiment of murder. So I'm managing to write it well enough, thankfully. Exams get in the way of writing so much. (This is the part where I say good luck on them and confess that I haven't needed to worry about them for a while. I actually finished A Levels nearly 2 years ago. Took a bit of a much-need break from education before applying for uni. I'm sure the exams will go well, though!)

I'm like that, too. Once I know the ending I'm pretty much good to go but deciding the ending always takes the longest to do. I find that opening up a blank document and just talking to myself about what I want the story to be helps a lot.
Ooh, sounds interesting! I took psychology, so I never really got to get any inspiration from it.

I read a fair bit, yeah, but mostly for pleasure. I probably need to read more widely, but otherwise yes, I do. I've read about 27 books this year, which isn't too bad. Once you start Uni you should have more time, right? Since you're doing a writing course reading should be a big part of it.
Reading lists are going to be good! But I'm hoping they're all books I enjoy. I'm a fast reader but only when I like what I'm reading.
Original post by Saidani
Haha, I'm just glad it isn't me who's like that. It's why I'm so jumpy about Student Finance: I've sent in my evidence, and now it's just a waiting game. But I need to know if they got the evidence, and if it's acceptable. Majorly not liking just waiting and hoping its all okay. I want to know the finance side is all taken care of and done.

It's not really a murder mystery, just about someone who is the living embodiment of murder. So I'm managing to write it well enough, thankfully. Exams get in the way of writing so much. (This is the part where I say good luck on them and confess that I haven't needed to worry about them for a while. I actually finished A Levels nearly 2 years ago. Took a bit of a much-need break from education before applying for uni. I'm sure the exams will go well, though!)

I'm like that, too. Once I know the ending I'm pretty much good to go but deciding the ending always takes the longest to do. I find that opening up a blank document and just talking to myself about what I want the story to be helps a lot.
Ooh, sounds interesting! I took psychology, so I never really got to get any inspiration from it.

I read a fair bit, yeah, but mostly for pleasure. I probably need to read more widely, but otherwise yes, I do. I've read about 27 books this year, which isn't too bad. Once you start Uni you should have more time, right? Since you're doing a writing course reading should be a big part of it.
Reading lists are going to be good! But I'm hoping they're all books I enjoy. I'm a fast reader but only when I like what I'm reading.

Yeah the student finance and the whole money side is what originally put me off going to uni as handling lots of money and maths aren't my strong suites.
Ah right ok, so are you a mature student? (if you don't mind my asking?) Wow 27 books?! that's amazing! I've started reading a few, but then put them down and never picked them back up again!
Reply 36
Yeah the student finance and the whole money side is what originally put me off going to uni as handling lots of money and maths aren't my strong suites.
Ah right ok, so are you a mature student? (if you don't mind my asking?) Wow 27 books?! that's amazing! I've started reading a few, but then put them down and never picked them back up again!

As 'mature' as being 20 can make me, yes.
I've probably started closer to forty and done exactly that. I'm still reading Tale of the Body Thief, and I started that in 2011.
Original post by Saidani
As 'mature' as being 20 can make me, yes.
I've probably started closer to forty and done exactly that. I'm still reading Tale of the Body Thief, and I started that in 2011.

Not heard of that one. I'm sort of reading The Fault in our Stars as well as a few others like Finding Violet Park and I want to start the Divergent series too. As I said, I don't have a lot of free time to read for pleasure, but if I had a reading list with those books on it, then I would make the effort to read them! :smile:
Hey everyone, I have applied for creative writing at Bath Spa too! exceptionally excited yet also unbelievably nervous in regards to getting the grades. I hope you all do well, just wanted to see who else has applied :smile:

Hello! my name's Bethany, I'm not actually doing creative writing (I'll be studying commercial music) but I just wanted to say I was so relieved reading that there are others that aren't massive party people as I am definitely not and I was completely stressing out about it haha. I actually wish I lived close enough to be able to commute (I'm from North Wales, about 200 miles away) because the whole idea of halls and how expensive it all is is stressful haha, the grass is always greener isn't it?! Anyway, sorry to interrupt and thanks for calming my nerves a little bit about the party/drinking side of things! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending