The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
I reckon youll get Shaw, Carvalho, Cavani (lol) then maybe some CM but not the calibre you are mentioning.

Fabregas wont move. also Arsenal have first refusal with £25m which Arsene would probably lap up asap.
Kroos wont move.
Vidal is going to be in high demand so if you get him you will pay high, and probably wont get some other targets.
Greizzman will go to PSG sadly (would like him too tbh)
Reus isnt leaving BVB for anyone this year (Gotze comments were fake).

Cavani and Shaw will eat in to your budget so bad, thats potentially £85m as PSG wont let go for less than they got him. Plus offering Shaw 100k so you probably have to offer Cavani much more. Also you wont be able to get all of your deadwood in 1 summer season, esp with time constraints with World cup etc.

If you dont get Cavani then youll probably instead get Vidal and/or Garay.

Doubt we'll get Cavani unless Rooney goes the other way.

Agree we won't get fabregas, reus, or kroos coming.

I think we have a decent shot at Di Maria. Vidal is unlikely, but a possibility. Possibility on Garay. Apparently Sead Kolasinac is an almost done deal.

Shaw, Garay, Vidal, Di Maria, Kolasinac ALONE would significantly strengthen our squad. And I don't think that's unrealistic tbh.
We should just get the two benders
Reply 62
Original post by hayles101
I honestly don't think Shaw, Carvalho, Garay, Fabregas/Kroos/Vidal and Reus/Greizman/Cavani (god love us) is that unrealistic.

Shaw and Carvalho have been rumoured to being close for a very long time.

Garay definitely achievable and not stupid money.

World class CM, much more difficult. But I think with enough money one of the above could be achievable. Definitely the hardest and most unlikely of the 5. I have hope though. We need to do something in that position finally.

Lastly if the press are to be believed we are very keen on Cavani. Hope it's *******s but believe a quality winger in Moura (unrealistic) or Greizman (more realistic) is needed and will happen if we spend the money and go all out.

Very much depends on the club, the money we will spend and the prospects were offering. Hopefully Van Gaal gives the manager appeal.

These things need to happen, or we will get massively left behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Moura would be even more of a waste of money than Cavani ffs. Fabregas & Kroos are extremely unlikely. Reus & Greizman are pipe dreams.
I honestly don't think Shaw, Carvalho, Garay, Fabregas/Kroos/Vidal and Reus/Greizman/Cavani (god love us) is that unrealistic.
How many other clubs have brought in that number of players of that quality at those prices in a single window? In a WC cup year too so there is even less time, and we don't have the manager set yet.

I can really seen Strootman being a target. He's an LVG fav, we need an b2b midfielder for an LVG system, he's Dutch and LVG's friend so dressing room friend. He's certainly as attainable as the others mentioned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by manchesterunited15
We should just get the two benders

I'd love to see Lars. Sven, meh.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
I honestly think we'll somewhere around 100m especially with so many high earners off the list (Evra, Vida, Rio).

Fellaini, Young/Nani (one of them will surely go) and Anderson are on a fortune too.

Shaw and Carvalho have been rumoured to being close for a very long time.

Will LVG even want Carvalho? Haven't seen his name mentioned anywhere since Moyes left.

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
I reckon youll get Shaw, Carvalho, Cavani (lol) then maybe some CM but not the calibre you are mentioning.

If you dont get Cavani then youll probably instead get Vidal and/or Garay.

Cavani doesn't make any sense, we'd have to sell one of Rooney/RVP and one of Welbeck/Hernandez. There's several PSG players who I would take ahead of him. If Woodward is that desperate for a 'galactico' type signing then go all out for a midfielder or even a winger...
Reply 67
Original post by Zainabahlulbayt
nor arsenal who have the best midfield in the BPL

OZIL Carzola ramsey wilshere the-ox

There's just no way that's a better midfield than Chelsea or City's. Yaya and Fernandinho are phenomenal.

Kenan man...give me a break! I said some things when I was upset!

Would love to see City win the title now. Gerrard slipping, glorious. Giggs 13 Gerrard 0. Reality is, as already said City are the type of team that blow things like this. Where is Jammy....that was a glorious victory. Mourinho is a fantastic man.

I've got to be honest. I'm getting very worried by United. I'm worried Giggs will get the job. People are silly, they'll get carried away. Reality is we should be beating teams like Norwich anyway. Moyes beat them 4-0 and he beat Newcastle 4-0. We should also be beating Sunderland, Hull and Southampton regardless of who the manager is. Giggs doesn't have the experience for the job, he won't be able to attract top players and he'll find it hard making the iron fist decisions required, telling his former team mates that they aren't good enough anymore which is what is required of a few of them. You need a football version of Margaret Thatcher to tell it as it is. We need the big Dutch bloke. It would be a monumental error to appoint Giggs. He won't win the big games. Delighted to have him for next three, but any more is silly. Van Gaal needs to be done this week before this movement carries pace.
Original post by Eboracum
I've got to be honest. I'm getting very worried by United. I'm worried Giggs will get the job. People are silly, they'll get carried away. Reality is we should be beating teams like Norwich anyway. Moyes beat them 4-0 and he beat Newcastle 4-0. We should also be beating Sunderland, Hull and Southampton regardless of who the manager is. Giggs doesn't have the experience for the job, he won't be able to attract top players and he'll find it hard making the iron fist decisions required, telling his former team mates that they aren't good enough anymore which is what is required of a few of them. You need a football version of Margaret Thatcher to tell it as it is. We need the big Dutch bloke. It would be a monumental error to appoint Giggs. He won't win the big games. Delighted to have him for next three, but any more is silly. Van Gaal needs to be done this week before this movement carries pace.

That is a big thing. He will definitely find that difficult and one major reason why he shouldn't be the next manager. He already picked all of his mates to play on Saturday. Somebody new that won't play favourites needs to come in and tell the players that aren't good enough that they have to leave. Van Gaal seems like he won't take any **** and will say whatever he thinks. Someone with that type of personality is needed atm.
Original post by samba
Doubt we'll get Cavani unless Rooney goes the other way.

Agree we won't get fabregas, reus, or kroos coming.

I think we have a decent shot at Di Maria. Vidal is unlikely, but a possibility. Possibility on Garay. Apparently Sead Kolasinac is an almost done deal.

Shaw, Garay, Vidal, Di Maria, Kolasinac ALONE would significantly strengthen our squad. And I don't think that's unrealistic tbh.

If we signed the above this Summer I would get Ed Woodwards name tattooed on me.

Vidal and Di Maria :coma: but Di maria wouldn't leave surely?

DDG
Rafa Jones Garay Shaw
Carvalho Vidal
Di Maria Mata Kagawa
RVP

:coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
If we signed the above this Summer I would get Ed Woodwards name tattooed on me.

Vidal and Di Maria :coma: but Di maria wouldn't leave surely?

DDG
Rafa Jones Garay Shaw
Carvalho Vidal
Di Maria Mata Kagawa
RVP

:coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Di Maria is pretty marginalised I think. Bale and Ronaldo will always outshine him there. And Isco looks very very good. I've always had the impression he'd move [though qua probably knows more]

Not sure about carvalho, [not seen him play enough, and rumours have gone quiet since moist left] but I'm holding you to that tattoo if we get vidal and di maria :biggrin:

Kolasinac looks good btw, from what I've seen of him. I'd be quite happy to get rid of rooney for cavani too; cavani is a quality striker, despite what's gone down at PSG. (I keep going on about rooney to psg because apparently Zlatan has been crying for months that he wants him there)

DDG
Rafael Garay/Evans Jones/Smalling/Kola Shaw
Carrick Vidal
Di Maria Mata Januzaj/Kagawa
RVP/Cavani

- I think januzaj is 1. a better width option than kagawa 2. young enough to be trained to properly track back and protect shaw
- I don't think Carrick is very good, but I'd rather take a slightly 'light' approach, consolidate top4, and spend in jan/next summer than spend 30m on carvalho now.
- I'd only sign cavani if it meant getting rid of rooney
- As stated above, I'd also LOVE to see lars bender
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by samba
Di Maria is pretty marginalised I think. Bale and Ronaldo will always outshine him there. And Isco looks very very good. I've always had the impression he'd move [though qua probably knows more]

Not sure about carvalho, [not seen him play enough, and rumours have gone quiet since moist left] but I'm holding you to that tattoo if we get vidal and di maria :biggrin:

Kolasinac looks good btw, from what I've seen of him. I'd be quite happy to get rid of rooney for cavani too; cavani is a quality striker, despite what's gone down at PSG. (I keep going on about rooney to psg because apparently Zlatan has been crying for months that he wants him there)

I haven't even included him in the team tbh because he's not necessary and would rather get rid of him because of the wages and keep RVP who I especially think would florish again under Van Gaal.

If they want to do a Rooney Cavani swap as you said again fine by me, as long as we don't offer loads of extra cash as well. I'm talking Rooney + 10 million max. Other than that I definitely hope we don't get Cavani if Rooney is staying.

Carvalho has still been mentioned in a few reports, he was meant to be pretty much a done deal before Moyes was sacked so really hope when the window opens we tie it up and that the reason we haven't heard much more is because it's verbally agreed until the window opens. From what I have seen and heard he would be amazing for us. I posted a while info I got from a Sporting Lisbon fan which I'll try and find, he's one if not the most well thought of players in Portugal right now. Fingers crossed we get him.

I will keep my word about the tattoo but I'm afraid it will have to go on one of my butt cheeks as tbh I can't have too many people looking at let's be fair :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
I haven't even included him in the team tbh because he's not necessary and would rather get rid of him because of the wages and keep RVP who I especially think would florish again under Van Gaal.

If they want to do a Rooney Cavani swap as you said again fine by me, as long as we don't offer loads of extra cash as well. I'm talking Rooney + 10 million max. Other than that I definitely hope we don't get Cavani if Rooney is staying.

Carvalho has still been mentioned in a few reports, he was meant to be pretty much a done deal before Moyes was sacked so really hope when the window opens we tie it up and that the reason we haven't heard much more is because it's verbally agreed until the window opens. From what I have seen and heard he would be amazing for us. I posted a while info I got from a Sporting Lisbon fan which I'll try and find, he's one if not the most well thought of players in Portugal right now. Fingers crossed we get him.

I will keep my word about the tattoo but I'm afraid it will have to go on one of my butt cheeks as tbh I can't have too many people looking at let's be fair :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sneakily added some notes to my last post :p:

- I think januzaj is 1. a better width option than kagawa 2. young enough to be trained to properly track back and protect shaw
- I don't think Carrick is very good, but I'd rather take a slightly 'light' approach, consolidate top4, and spend in jan/next summer than spend 30m on carvalho now.
- I'd only sign cavani if it meant getting rid of rooney
- As stated above, I'd also LOVE to see lars bender

My concerns about RVP is he's 31 now, and pretty injury prone. I also don't see how to neatly fit rooney, rvp and mata into the same team. Cavani would balance the squad nicely if we got rid of rooney, not to mention the fact it'd mean Chelsea and Arsenal not neither player. I literally shudder to think how good Rooney would be under mourinho, in that system, and I don't particularly want to see Cavani at either club.

According to my tuga friends, carvalho is good, but nothing 'special' - I don't see why we NEED to spend there now if we get the aforementioned players. We can consolidate and evaluate where we are in January. Also, bender :sexface:

alright, but expecting to see evidence of that :p:
Original post by samba

My concerns about RVP is he's 31 now, and pretty injury prone. I also don't see how to neatly fit rooney, rvp and mata into the same team. Cavani would balance the squad nicely if we got rid of rooney, not to mention the fact it'd mean Chelsea and Arsenal not neither player. I literally shudder to think how good Rooney would be under mourinho, in that system, and I don't particularly want to see Cavani at either club.

Purely hypothetical but how would you/others feel about a Rooney/Cavani swap deal. Obviously keeps both players away from Arsenal/Chelsea and means PSG can get rid of Cavani with out taking quite as large a financial hit.

Personally I'm not big on signing another forward regardless and if we do I want it to be Ciro Immobile and not just because he has an awesome name.

Also wouldn't mind us picking up Maxime Gonalons from Lyon. Not an out an out world beater but cover for Carricks position has been desperately needed for a while now and he cab do that. He'd also be available on a free as I think his contract is up in the summer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by mojojojo101
Purely hypothetical but how would you/others feel about a Rooney/Cavani swap deal. Obviously keeps both players away from Arsenal/Chelsea and means PSG can get rid of Cavani with out taking quite as large a financial hit.

Personally I'm not big on signing another forward regardless and if we do I want it to be Ciro Immobile and not just because he has an awesome name.

Also wouldn't mind us picking up Maxime Gonalons from Lyon. Not an out an out world beater but cover for Carricks position has been desperately needed for a while now and he cab do that. He'd also be available on a free as I think his contract is up in the summer.

I'd be absolutely delighted with it, which was kinda my point. It'd remove a disruptive influence and square peg from our team, and ensure neither player went to our rivals.
Reply 75
Original post by samba
I also don't see how to neatly fit rooney, rvp and mata into the same team.

How would you fit Cavani, RVP and Mata in then? Cavani has been playing wide for PSG, but he's no good at it and the only reason he might leave is to play as the striker somewhere. Presumably Mata will start at AM, so one of RVP and Cavani will need to be benched.
Original post by xDave-
How would you fit Cavani, RVP and Mata in then? Cavani has been playing wide for PSG, but he's no good at it and the only reason he might leave is to play as the striker somewhere. Presumably Mata will start at AM, so one of RVP and Cavani will need to be benched.

RVP will get injuries and there are a lot of games a season.

I don't think a bit of rotation does any harm. Keep players fresh etc. You could still play RVP and Cavani together against certain opposition. I'm not saying we should sign him, I don't but if it's a swap deal with Rooney then so be it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree. Admittedly I don't know much about Cavani but from what I hear he is pretty much a solid no. 9. If that means we get rid of Rooney and can bring Cavani in, it'll mean we can play the system I want to see played. Rooney has been so disruptive to our system.
Original post by mojojojo101

Cavani has been pushed out wide at PSG because Zlatan is the main man, we all know how Van Gaal feels about Van Persie so from his point of view who's to say the same thing won't happen again? If he had any sense, he'd go to Chelsea.

Remember that we're probably going to be playing 1 game a week next season as well, so a swap deal wouldn't be enough. Hernandez would probably be off too. I just don't understand why this same urgency can't be used to sign a midfielder, we could get 2 top quality CM's for the same money as Cavani.
Reply 79
Original post by xDave-

What hayles said :p:

Latest