The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Dogwithwings
We won't get any of those top tier names. I can see shaw carvalho in but Vidal? Kroos? Behave.

Ideally would like more than one midfielder tbh

I personally think all the Kroos thing is just a hype, so the agent can bump up his wages.

Vidal is meh. Though juventus are good, they are not as big as some people make them out to be. I recall people commenting on how bad they are in terms of the UCL recently. But for Vidal to leave, its gonna be quite a big amount of money, not a feeble £20m like a newspaper quoted the other day.

I think young dutch players will be targeted if LVG joins. I have a feeling there wont be a massive premium unlike english players have.
Tbh I would love to see 2 marquee signings (a world class CM and CB) and then decent signings in a LB, another CM and another winger.
Original post by Aky786UK
Well it's looking like it's LVG despite Sky saying we're considering other candidates.
I think Sky are making a story for the sake of having something to print. They say that their sources say we are considering other candidates but they are talking about Klopp, Ancelotti and Simeone. So two candidates who have rules themselves out, and one who is manager at a club he played for on the cusp of a double, doesn't speak any English and has a limited track record. If that is the best roster they can produce I think they are just chatting **** until because they haven't got anything new to say.

I'm not sure we need a WC CB. LVG trusts young players, and by his standards neither Smalling, Evans or Jones are young, and all of them are pretty good ball playing defenders, capable of passing from the back, Smalling and Jones have good recovery pace for playing higher. If Rio stays on, we might be better not bring anyone in and playing them for a full season. If we get into a spot of bother we can always bring Rio in for a few games, 4 CB's isn't really light on cover, especially if we get a LB who can swap sides.
(edited 10 years ago)
£ity have been officially named as breaching FFP rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27198306

Bet anything that it'll just be a fine, which defeats the purpose entirely.
Original post by Jkizer

I think young dutch players will be targeted if LVG joins. I have a feeling there wont be a massive premium unlike english players have.

Hadn't thought of that (duh!) but that is kind of awesome, there are quite a lot of very promising young Dutch midfielders coming through, many of whom LvG has worked with in the national team so if we could get our hands on say, Jordy Clasie or Adam Maher on the cheap that would be awesome.

Also on a completely irrational note, I think since since I grew up watching players like Stam, RvP and van der Saar at Utd there is something that feels really right about Dutch players at Man Utd...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sr90
£ity have been officially named as breaching FFP rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27198306

Bet anything that it'll just be a fine, which defeats the purpose entirely.

Nothing will happen to ****ty tbh
Original post by mojojojo101
Hadn't thought of that (duh!) but that is kind of awesome, there are quite a lot of very promising young Dutch midfielders coming through, many of whom LvG has worked with in the national team so if we could get our hands on say, Jordy Clasie or Adam Maher on the cheap that would be awesome.

Also on a completely irrational note, I think since since I grew up watching players like Stam, RvP and van der Saar at Utd there is something that feels really right about Dutch players at Man Utd...

Don't forget Strootman, he should be fit in time for the new season and LVG loves him. I'll be amazed if we're not in for him. To think he cost £10m less last summer than microphone head...
Original post by sr90
Don't forget Strootman, he should be fit in time for the new season and LVG loves him. I'll be amazed if we're not in for him. To think he cost £10m less last summer than microphone head...

As much as LVG would want him, Roma aren't going to let him go. They'd probably hold out for a ridiculous sum. Even if Strootman signals to Roma he wants out, they'd make us pay an awful amount of money for him.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2014/04/29/4782733/id-bet-on-ancelotti-to-be-next-spurs-boss?ICID=HP_BN_1

Former Tottenham caretaker manager Clive Allen believes Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti will be the man to replace Tim Sherwood at White Hart Lane.

Ah how I would love to be his bookie.
Reply 109
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Tbh I would love to see 2 marquee signings (a world class CM and CB) and then decent signings in a LB, another CM and another winger.

What world class CB's are even out there and available? Assuming we don't go for kompany or Thiago silva or something :p: Marquinhos maybe, but he'd cost an absolute fortune.
Original post by samba
What world class CB's are even out there and available? Assuming we don't go for kompany or Thiago silva or something :p: Marquinhos maybe, but he'd cost an absolute fortune.

E.Garay? Mangala? Hummels? :tongue:

I really want to see Garay in a United shirt. Been following Benfica this year and ive been impressed with him.
Reply 111

I really want to see Garay in a United shirt. Been following Benfica this year and ive been impressed with him.

Garay is decent, but wouldn't call him world class in the same vein as Kompany for example :p: Really do hope we get him though. Mangala and hummels no chance unfortunately lol. I like Subotic too.

I'd honestly be happy with just garay for the DC spot. Jones/Evans/Smalling can all fight for the other one. We won't be in europe and we do need to blood these guys. I feel they do have the potential to be good enough

I'd rather see the big money splashed out on a MC (vidal, bender, strootman, whoever we can get really) and di maria, because the players we have in those positions are hopeless and have no potential to be good enough.
Original post by samba
Garay is decent, but wouldn't call him world class in the same vein as Kompany for example :p: Really do hope we get him though. Mangala and hummels no chance unfortunately lol. I like Subotic too.

I'd honestly be happy with just garay for the DC spot. Jones/Evans/Smalling can all fight for the other one. We won't be in europe and we do need to blood these guys. I feel they do have the potential to be good enough

I'd rather see the big money splashed out on a MC (vidal, bender, strootman, whoever we can get really) and di maria, because the players we have in those positions are hopeless and have no potential to be good enough.

Fully agreed on everything except Garay is world class imo :tongue:

Exactly! I want us to splash out big time on a CM. A big name CM, someone who is proven, has experience and can lead our midfield for the next few years. We probably need 2 CMs tbh, buy a world class CM and a standard CM/promote from within/force Powell to develop as a CM xD. I dont think we have a chance at bringing in Di Maria or Vidal. Di Maria is in the best form of his life at RM and providing Ancelotti stays (which he will), Di Maria will never be sold. Vidal is Juve through and through, dont think he'll ever leave tbh.

Best realistic summer transfer window for us imo is:
LB - Shaw/Coentrao/Schalke LB
CB- Garay
CMs- Carvalho and Strootman (if Roma even let him go)
Winger- Griezemann/exciting young winger
Reply 113
Fully agreed on everything except Garay is world class imo :tongue:

Exactly! I want us to splash out big time on a CM. A big name CM, someone who is proven, has experience and can lead our midfield for the next few years. We probably need 2 CMs tbh, buy a world class CM and a standard CM/promote from within/force Powell to develop as a CM xD. I dont think we have a chance at bringing in Di Maria or Vidal. Di Maria is in the best form of his life at RM and providing Ancelotti stays (which he will), Di Maria will never be sold. Vidal is Juve through and through, dont think he'll ever leave tbh.

Best realistic summer transfer window for us imo is:
LB - Shaw/Coentrao/Schalke LB
CB- Garay
CMs- Carvalho and Strootman (if Roma even let him go)
Winger- Griezemann/exciting young winger

I might be wrong, but I've always been under the distinct impression that he'd be VERY open to a move, because living in the shadow of ronaldo and bale, you just can't get the recognition you deserve. Obviously if they win the CL or something that'd probably change, but I definitely feel Di Maria would be open to a move. He'd cost a good 40m, but I still think we have more chance of him than Griezmann

- Don't think we have a chance in hell at Griezmann, even compared to di maria. I don't rate Coentrao. I'd be happy to hold off on the 2nd MC until Jan/next summer if we filled the other targets.

Here's my [semi] realistic target list:

LB: Shaw, Kolasinac
RB: Calum Chambers
CB: Garay, Doria, Tah, Balanta (I was GUTTED when chelsea signed zouma)
MC: (Vidal) Bender Strootman Carvalho
MC2: THORGAN HAZARD (yes, seriously) Kongdogbia, Ward Prowse
Winger: Di Maria, Bakkali
Striker: Cavani IF we offload rooney as part of the deal.

For the record I really don't think Hummels is going anywhere anytime soon. Apparently he was recently asked about a link to Barca yo which he responded with a bit of a veiled piss take at Gotze for being a bit-part player at Bayern.

As much as LVG would want him, Roma aren't going to let him go. They'd probably hold out for a ridiculous sum. Even if Strootman signals to Roma he wants out, they'd make us pay an awful amount of money for him.

This. Even more so as there is likely to be a feeding frenzy of clubs trying to convince them to sell Miralem Pjanic who as also had a fantastic debut season in Serie A.

Original post by samba

LB: Shaw, Kolasinac
RB: Calum Chambers
CB: Garay, Doria, Tah, Balanta (I was GUTTED when chelsea signed zouma)
MC: (Vidal) Bender Strootman Carvalho
MC2: THORGAN HAZARD (yes, seriously) Kongdogbia, Ward Prowse
Winger: Di Maria, Bakkali
Striker: Cavani IF we offload rooney as part of the deal.

That's a nice list. Hazard came out of the blue a bit (lol), not sure Chelsea would let him move here for anything that was even remotely reasonable.

Heres my list of players I think the club should be looking at (Note I left out some of the names others said just to avoid repetition):

RB: Sime Vrsaljko, Gino Peruzzi, Serge Aurier
LB: Ricardo Rodriguez
CB: Samuel Umtitti
CM: Milan Badelj, Mateo Kovacic, Jordy Clasie, Andrea Bertolacci, Maxime Gonalons, Ivan Rakitic
ST: Ciro Immobile

I'd also like to see whoever is the new manager focus more on bringing youth players through the academy, into the first team as that is somewhere I think we have been poor in the last few years. Off the top of my head, Henriquez, Powell, Keane(s), Wooton, Lingard and Wilson should all be looking at more involved first team roles over the next 1-2 years.
Original post by samba
Garay is decent, but wouldn't call him world class in the same vein as Kompany for example :p:

Remember that Kompany wasn't anything close to world class when he joined City. In fact a lot of people forget that they signed him before the takeover.

Original post by mojojojo101
I'd also like to see whoever is the new manager focus more on bringing youth players through the academy, into the first team as that is somewhere I think we have been poor in the last few years. Off the top of my head, Henriquez, Powell, Keane(s), Wooton, Lingard and Wilson should all be looking at more involved first team roles over the next 1-2 years.

Wootton was sold to Leeds United last year.

Lingard, Varela and Michael Keane will almost certainly be in the squad next year, especially if we're in the Europa League. Wilson looks the real deal and I wouldn't be shocked if Giggs gives him some playing time before this season is over. Powell, Will Keane and Zaha should get a Premier League loan next season.

I suspect that the pre season tour/Europa League qualifiers will be full of reserve players as nearly all the first team will be involved in World Cup. Johnstone, Pereira, Rothwell, Pearson etc.
When is Van Gaal arriving?

I'm going to have a bit of a rant so Kenan and Kel can both get their notebooks out.

The reality is, to appoint Ryan Giggs as full time manager would be an ABSOLUTE DISASTER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. I mean, HAVE THEY LEARNED NOTHING FROM MOYES. He has zero experience. You need someone who can come in and tell the deadwood they aren't good enough and they'll be packing their bags. Players like Kroos and Reus are watching thinking I'd quite like to play for Van Gaal, but they see Giggs as a player, not as a manager. He'd be better off going to manager a foreign team, winning a few trophies then coming back.

AND, is it just me, or does anyone else STAUNCHLY DISAGREE WITH EVERY SINGLE THING THAT COMES OUT OF GARY NEVILLE'S MOUTH. Need a British manager...No Gary. Don't need a big name to attract big players...No Gary. People like this are still living in the 1990s. Embrace the modern foreign way. It just seems we are scared out outsiders, everything has to be associated with the club and the cliquey elites inside. It's a more closed shop than Oxford University. Just appoint Van Gaal, and if he doesn't want Giggs/Scholes/Phillip Neville and Nicholas Butt as advisors so be it. Let him bring his own men. Or, he may one want or two of them.

This is a defining Summer for the club. This Summer decides whether last year was just a blip, or whether it's the new norm. Edward Woodward and others. Get Van Gaal in, get the bids 25M Kroos and 40M Reus in and get some deals together. Companies like Nike and Adidas won't want mega deals if we keep finishing 7th losing 8 out of 12 big games and appointing amateurs as managers. I saw Van Gaal in the Daily Mail fishing for his golf ball in a lake in Portugal. Get him here.

Cheers for reading. Hope everyone is well :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 117
It's not like Kroos isn't going to stay at Bayern until 2015 anyway, but getting Van Gaal as manager would be the last nail in the coffin of this saga. Van Gaal was the one who hampered his development at Bayern by not giving him enough playing time, dropping him in favour of Müller and playing him out of position on the wings. Their relationship wasn't exactly great and he obviously didn't rate him back then, so I doubt Kroos would have any desire to play under him whatsoever.
Original post by sr90

Wootton was sold to Leeds United last year.

Lingard, Varela and Michael Keane will almost certainly be in the squad next year, especially if we're in the Europa League. Wilson looks the real deal and I wouldn't be shocked if Giggs gives him some playing time before this season is over. Powell, Will Keane and Zaha should get a Premier League loan next season.

I suspect that the pre season tour/Europa League qualifiers will be full of reserve players as nearly all the first team will be involved in World Cup. Johnstone, Pereira, Rothwell, Pearson etc.

Bit of a brain fart on Wootton there, had completely forgotten he went to Leeds.

The loan thing is an odd one and is going to be pretty much impossible to call without seeing these guys in training and generally being closer to them.

Zaha for instance looks like he lacks confidence and as his major strength will probably need to be playing often to build that up, which he isn't going to get at Utd. Powell on the other hand might be served better by getting less games here, but having closer contact with the training staff and first team squad. Of course that does depend on how leaves/joins the club over the summer, affecting how many games they are able to get here.

I really, really am hoping we get better at producing young players for the first team over the next few years, it probably wont be a popular thing to say but I really think SAF dropped the ball in that regard in the last 2 or 3 years of his reign.
Reply 119
Original post by qua
It's not like Kroos isn't going to stay at Bayern until 2015 anyway, but getting Van Gaal as manager would be the last nail in the coffin of this saga. Van Gaal was the one who hampered his development at Bayern by not giving him enough playing time, dropping him in favour of Müller and playing him out of position on the wings. Their relationship wasn't exactly great and he obviously didn't rate him back then, so I doubt Kroos would have any desire to play under him whatsoever.

Few questions for you: What do you feel about Howedes? Is Tah worth a shot? Do you still think a Di Maria transfer would be plausible? And a bonus (no idea if you've seen much of him) - Do you think Balanta has already agreed a deal with Barca or whatever? Really love the look of him, and feel he'd suit the EPL and Man Utd perfectly. (I'm convinced by now that reus and kroos are just pipedreams - said all along that if we didn't get kroos in jan, we'd never get him)

Latest