The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield - The Endcliffe Village

Hi guys,
I was wondering for any of you who lived/live in The Endcliffe Village, is it loud there? Do the people there tend to make a lot of noise at night? Can you hear it in your room? I didn't manage to have a proper look at the accommodations so I'm not quite sure about it. I'm the kind of person who can only focus when it's quite quiet and I'm not talking about the 'don't breathe too loud' kind of quiet, just basically not having music playing loud around me and not having people bothering me when I'm revising.

Scroll to see replies

If you're the sort of person who prefers a quieter atmosphere you're probably best off applying to Ranmoor village. It's roughly a third of the size of Endcliffe and so as a result isn't as noisy.

Obviously Ranmoor is still student accommodation so there's bound to be noise a fair amount of the time but less so than Endcliffe as there's not as many students there. Endcliffe is by no means loud 100% of the time but if you are that concerned about noise levels then Ranmoor would be the more sensible option :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
If you like your sleep/ the quiet, definitely pick Ranmoor, as it's a lot smaller. But you will still get the drunken singing at midnight even here! If you really must have quiet when you revise, either go to Western Bank, or a large proportion of the Information Commons does become silent study during exams.
Reply 3
I'm looking to apply to Endcliffe, should I be concerned about getting allocated a room in City Centre?
Reply 4
Thank you :smile: What in your opinion is a better option though: Endcliffe or Ranmoor? Not considering how quiet/loud they are.
Original post by SylwiaJoanna
Thank you :smile: What in your opinion is a better option though: Endcliffe or Ranmoor? Not considering how quiet/loud they are.

If you get Endliffe, you'll love it. If you get Ranmoor you'll love it. Endcliffe is sliiiiightly closer to uni (apparently)
Reply 6
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 7
I couldn't ever hear through the adjacent walls.

The door to the corridor can be an issue - depends entirely on your flat mates. Mostly okay though, and you can always tell them to shut it.

Noise above - I never had any problems personally, one girl in my flat did though. Got security onto them, eventually calmed it all down.

Outside - variable. Not normally too bad but depends on what block you're in. The front blocks get more noise from random drunk students shouting at 4 am but it's not all the time. Both sites enforce a quiet after 11 pm during exam periods so if you have problems then security used to be quite reasonable about clearing things up.

I was on Endcliffe.
Original post by Nymthae
I couldn't ever hear through the adjacent walls.

The door to the corridor can be an issue - depends entirely on your flat mates. Mostly okay though, and you can always tell them to shut it.

Noise above - I never had any problems personally, one girl in my flat did though. Got security onto them, eventually calmed it all down.

Outside - variable. Not normally too bad but depends on what block you're in. The front blocks get more noise from random drunk students shouting at 4 am but it's not all the time. Both sites enforce a quiet after 11 pm during exam periods so if you have problems then security used to be quite reasonable about clearing things up.

I was on Endcliffe.

^This. We had to ring security 3 times in the space of as many hours because of the flat below us. They'd finished their exams and were prelashing befor eplug or w/e. Got so drunk they never made it out. I did get our residential mentor to give them a *******ing for leaving their front door on the latch... because I'd gone in and was stood in their kitchen at 3am...
Reply 9
Original post by .snowflake.
^This. We had to ring security 3 times in the space of as many hours because of the flat below us. They'd finished their exams and were prelashing befor eplug or w/e. Got so drunk they never made it out. I did get our residential mentor to give them a *******ing for leaving their front door on the latch... because I'd gone in and was stood in their kitchen at 3am...

Were you also in Endliffe?
Were you also in Endliffe?

Ranmoor! Admittedly, the lads in the flat below only did ever do that the once.
I'd say just get a good pair of earphones and listen to music while you do work and then ear plugs for going to sleep, that's usually enough for me. It's also a good idea to be good friends with the people around you because then they'll respect it if you ask for them to be a bit quieter. However generally it'll quiet down between 11 and 12 unless there's a flat party going on.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say just get a good pair of earphones and listen to music while you do work and then ear plugs for going to sleep, that's usually enough for me. It's also a good idea to be good friends with the people around you because then they'll respect it if you ask for them to be a bit quieter. However generally it'll quiet down between 11 and 12 unless there's a flat party going on.

That's the thing though :frown: I know I'll sound like I'm complaining a lot but I can't revise with music on. I don't mind people watching TV somewhere not far away from me as long as it's not super loud, but music distracts me :frown:
One more question guys. For all the people who live/used to live in Endcliffe. Do you know if you're allowed to have a person staying over for a night. I'm talking about people who do not live in a village, like you're friend from old school or whatever? And what happens when there are people coming to visit you? Do they have to go somewhere and let someone know about it or can they just basically come straight to my room?
One more question guys. For all the people who live/used to live in Endcliffe. Do you know if you're allowed to have a person staying over for a night. I'm talking about people who do not live in a village, like you're friend from old school or whatever? And what happens when there are people coming to visit you? Do they have to go somewhere and let someone know about it or can they just basically come straight to my room?

My flat, myself included, all had home friend over to stay and they all slept in our rooms. Was never a problem. You're supposed to check them in at the Edge but noone ever does, and in my block at least, there were never any problems
Original post by super_kawaii
My flat, myself included, all had home friend over to stay and they all slept in our rooms. Was never a problem. You're supposed to check them in at the Edge but noone ever does, and in my block at least, there were never any problems

We were supposed to tell the Ridge. Where were we told that?! (I'm assuming in our contract that I'll have read once... and then forgotten about)
We were supposed to tell the Ridge. Where were we told that?! (I'm assuming in our contract that I'll have read once... and then forgotten about)

I don't think I ever read my contract fully, but they had signs on the noticeboard in my block about it. Noone ever paid attention to them though :s-smilie:
I don't think I ever read my contract fully, but they had signs on the noticeboard in my block about it. Noone ever paid attention to them though :s-smilie:

We didn't have signs about it. Kinder G and H block clearly were'nt special enough!!
We didn't have signs about it. Kinder G and H block clearly were'nt special enough!!

It's all about Curbar C and D block :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
It's all about Curbar C and D block :biggrin:

ahaha. Seems like EVERYONE lived either there, or derwent though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending