The Student Room Group

Getting hopes up in an LDR

Hello,

Do people think it is silly to get your hopes up over a long distance relationship, where you won't get to see the person regularly? Specifically in terms of believing that it will last.

I have been going out with my girlfriend just shy of two months now, we are still very much interested in each other. But she had to move back home, and is moving around the country sporadically for various reasons. Visiting family, and summer job amongst other things.

Is it realistic for me to try and stay emotionally invested but distance myself?

At the moment we talk almost daily and plan to Skype regularly, as well as meet in 7weeks time....and meet as regular as possible until uni starts.

I just feel that if I cannot see her as often, that she may start to crave attention elsewhere whilst I'm not there with some other man.
these are always worries with a LDR. I had been in one for 5 years and it's true, at a distance you do sometimes look at other people. Whether you act on that depends on how much you value the relationship.

Coincidentally (no way by choice) I am now in my second LDR. It's been going on for 8 months so far and we talk a lot about our anxieties and stuff, so I kind of feel like I have a stronger foundation.

It's worth trying. Try not to get your heart broken but that can happen in a "normal" relationship anyway.
LDR are no more likely to fail than a normal relationship. Its got different challenges to one that isn't long distance but its no less likely to fail :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending