The Student Room Group

Agreeing to end a relationship for uni

Me and bf had agreed to break up in September as we are going to uni miles from each other but now he's having second thoughts and wants to give things a try but I really don't want to, any advice?
Reply 1
That's ridiculous. Why drag things out until September when you've both shown that you lack the commitment and maturity to sustain a relationship? End it now.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
That's ridiculous. Why drag things out until September when you've both shown that you lack the commitment and maturity to sustain a relationship? End it now.

Our reasons are we want to enjoy the time we have left together before going to uni
Do you still have feelings for him? Do you think you will in the future? Can you see a future with him? If any of the answers are no, then I say stick with the break-up
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Our reasons are we want to enjoy the time we have left together before going to uni

Will your 'boyfriend' enjoy when he's already changing his mind?
What’s there to discuss? You clearly don’t want to continue it during uni so you just make that clear and stand firm in your decision. The worst you could do is agree to it without really wanting to because by the sounds of it you want to explore other people and uni relationships, which could mean you’d cheat anyway and then break up with him. Most pre-uni relationships don’t survive university so just don’t budge and make the break up final in September.
Me and bf had agreed to break up in September as we are going to uni miles from each other but now he's having second thoughts and wants to give things a try but I really don't want to, any advice?

Personally don’t think LDR worth a shot but if you think you can handle texting, facetime/zoom calls and take things virtual and digitally then it’s worth a shot.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
Will your 'boyfriend' enjoy when he's already changing his mind?

We do have feelings for each other but I don't want to be tied down while meeting new people
Reply 8

If you agree breaking up with each other - then as the men say you belong to the streets
Reply 9
We do have feelings for each other but I don't want to be tied down while meeting new people

Why can't you see each other when you're both at uni? How far is the distance?
There is no point in continuing to see each other if you're going to break up anyway in September.
Either:
1/ Break up now
2/ Continue to see each other including in September + beyond, and give it a go.
End the relationship now. Don't deceive him by pretending you're going to stay when you no full well that you aren't.

Ok, then if you keep the relationship going, you'd literally be cheating on him.
Reply 12
Original post by Adz2042
Why can't you see each other when you're both at uni? How far is the distance?
There is no point in continuing to see each other if you're going to break up anyway in September.
Either:
1/ Break up now
2/ Continue to see each other including in September + beyond, and give it a go.

We will be 4 hours apart
Urgh god, people are so dramatic on here.
OP, I completely understand what you mean and what you're going through. Ignore the weirdos saying you're 'for the streets' or immature.

I think you should make it clear that you're not interested in continuing the relationship into uni. You don't necessarily have to say that right now, but sometime nearer to when you're leaving. Cause as you said, you still want to enjoy the time you have left.

But when it comes to it just say you don't feel like you can sustain a long distance relationship and that you'd rather end things in person on good terms, rather than have to break up over text/call/video call/whatever after not talking for weeks.

Trust me, unless you are 100% committed to making it work, LDR have no chance. It doesn't have to be a brutal breakup, just tell him you just don't think you will be able to commit to a LDR and you want to end it now whilst its still good.
Reply 14

No, you don't have feelings for him, you want to break up with him!

You do know you can meet new people just as friends, without snogging or sleeping with them...
We will be 4 hours apart

And? I know people whi loved in different countries made it work at uni and are still together now years later.

Let me guess - its actually because you ‘want to find yourself’ or ‘meet new people’ and being in a relationship will somehow hinder that
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Jack22031994
And? I know people whi loved in different countries made it work at uni and are still together now years later.

Let me guess - its actually because you ‘want to find yourself’ or ‘meet new people’ and being in a relationship will somehow hinder that

Yeah what's wrong with going to uni and finding yourself
Reply 17
It would be good if you can bank some of the good times and remain friends. It takes a very mature approach to agree this. Leaving it last thing or a failed long term relationship appears the most painful. I guess just try being honest with him about what you want and how you feel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending