The Student Room Group

The Cambridge 2014 Results Day Discussion Thread [offer holders]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilby100
Has anyone else left applying to student finance till the last minute? Or done so in previous years? Does it really take six weeks to receive an answer from them?!

The deadline is still a while away but you've missed the deadline to be guaranteed your money when you start the year. And yes, it took weeks for my declaration to come through the post. If you need the money by the start of term you might be too late but I would apply right now to give you the best chance of getting it!
Original post by Goods
You've missed their deadline if you haven't signed up already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can still apply past the deadline, they just don't guarantee you'll have the money in time.
I have an offer for computer science :colondollar: 100% FIRM
Original post by BobWey00192

Do you have any conditions attached to your offer?
Oh, quick question (didn't know where else to post it) - as a law student, would it be necessary for me to get Microsoft Office on my laptop? I'll be using a MB Pro and I'm fine with Pages, and doubt I'll be using Numbers/Keynote much anyway, so is it really worth paying for the Microsoft suite? I survived year 13 on Google Docs after my old laptop got wiped tbh :tongue: but idk if I can do the same at uni.
Reply 1785
Original post by voodoo_child
Oh, quick question (didn't know where else to post it) - as a law student, would it be necessary for me to get Microsoft Office on my laptop? I'll be using a MB Pro and I'm fine with Pages, and doubt I'll be using Numbers/Keynote much anyway, so is it really worth paying for the Microsoft suite? I survived year 13 on Google Docs after my old laptop got wiped tbh :tongue: but idk if I can do the same at uni.

I really doubt it. Pages should be absolutely fine, you might have to export your documents as .docx but other than that I can see no reason there would be a problem.
Original post by snketr3
Yeah, I'm really excited to start.
That's good to know! I'll have a look at thioesters- thanks:smile:
I haven't done much but I feel like I should do something to help prepare.
Hopefully I'll see you in October!

No problem! And yeah same, I saw on the Facebook group some colleges issued a reading list for medicine, but the books were apparently history-related as opposed to science.

What's your name? Sorry, can't make it out from your username, haha :biggrin:

Yeah, shall hopefully see you then!

Like alow said, I don't necessarily think you'd need it, but microsoft do a great deal for uni students- £60 for a 4 year subscription of office 365 which means you get new versions of office for free. Considering an annual office subscription to office 365 normally is £80 it's a bargain.

Google docs is better it automatically saves every change. The amount of times I've lost work due to not saving in office also google docs are completely compatable on both OS's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EFLCompScience
Do you have any conditions attached to your offer?

No. It is unconditional :cool:
Original post by Goods
Google docs is better it automatically saves every change. The amount of times I've lost work due to not saving in office also google docs are completely compatable on both OS's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think I will stick to pages when I'm offline and then upload it all to docs. It literally saved me in year 13 when doing my personal statement and stuff :biggrin:

Congratulations on your offer! :smile: I also have an offer for computer science but it is not confirmed yet. Which college are you in? Also (how) do you plan to prepare in advance for the course? Hope you don't mind the questions :biggrin:
Original post by Comp_Sci_T_Hall
Congratulations on your offer! :smile: I also have an offer for computer science but it is not confirmed yet. Which college are you in? Also (how) do you plan to prepare in advance for the course? Hope you don't mind the questions :biggrin:

Thanks. I will be at St. John's, & you?

I have received a prerequisites reading list from admissions department, started working on it.

I am in independent student with zero income therefore I will receive full grant from SFE. But the university has informed me that I will be receiving £3500's bursary from university (every year) plus £2000 from college (every year). Should I inform this to SFE? Will SFE reduce my grant?

I have received a prerequisites reading list from admissions department, started working on it.

I am in independent student with zero income therefore I will receive full grant from SFE. But the university has informed me that I will be receiving £3500's bursary from university (every year) plus £2000 from college (every year). Should I inform this to SFE? Will SFE reduce my grant?

I am at Trinity Hall. I haven't been sent a reading list from my college, I am guided by what is written in the Computer Lab website.

As for your financial question, I have no idea, I am non-UK applicant and I don't know how the SFE grant system works :biggrin:

Good luck in your preparation! Hope we see in October

You don't need to tell SFE about it, that sounds like extra money you can have :smile:

(if the information the university or your college tells you contradicts me, obviously pay attention to that)
Original post by fluteflute
You don't need to tell SFE about it, that sounds like extra money you can have :smile:

Also, will it not count as fraud? :s

Extra Questions:
Can the university advise to SFE that SFE should pay less to student as the student is getting bursary/scholarship from them?

Also, can the university inform to SFE that SFE has assessed the applicant wrongly whereas the applicant deserves less money from SFE? What I am trying to ask that once the SFE has assessed the application then can university ask SFE to amend it due to any reason?

(if the information the university or your college tells you contradicts me, obviously pay attention to that)

Sorry, I don't understand it at all :frown:

Extra Questions:
Can the university advise to SFE that SFE should pay less to student as the student is getting bursary/scholarship from them?

Also, can the university inform to SFE that SFE has assessed the applicant wrongly whereas the applicant deserves less money from SFE? What I am trying to ask that once the SFE has assessed the application then can university ask SFE to amend it due to any reason?

these bursaries do NOT affect student finance. if they did, it would make them somewhat redundant :P

Extra Questions:

Your lucky to be getting additional grants, its free money. You are getting the grants because of your financial situation, they do not change your situation otherwise the grant would make anyone receiving it ineligible. Stop searching for bureaucracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1798
I'm in the same situation with my conditional offer, so you uploaded the most recent IELTS test that doesn’t fulfill the minimum requirements and they asked you to take the test at the language center?

Have you been notified by the self-service portal?
Reply 1799
Anybody else holding an offer for Jesus College or for chemical engineering?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending