The Student Room Group

South East Asia

Living the dream and will be travelling around the world for a whole year with a large chunk of that spent in SE Asia.

I have looked into it (extensively) and was wondering if anyone could recommend some perhaps less well known activities/things-to-see that I could look in to? I'm sure a number of you have already travelled and it would be great to here your insight.

Go on TSR, be helpful, you know you want to :colone:
Firstly, SO JEALOUS!
I don't have any proper recommendations having not been myself, but I've been looking into South East Asia in university, even doing a dissertation on it next year... so if you're interested in history, and especially traditional culture, there's a lot of that there!
Cambodia would maybe be good..apparently meant to be quite overwhelming if you go and see the extermination camps set-up during the Khmer Rouge..
But again, this is only really a historically based answer haha! :tongue:

Hope you enjoy though! Hopefully I'll be able to travel like you after finishing uni
Original post by LivinginColour
Living the dream and will be travelling around the world for a whole year with a large chunk of that spent in SE Asia.

I have looked into it (extensively) and was wondering if anyone could recommend some perhaps less well known activities/things-to-see that I could look in to? I'm sure a number of you have already travelled and it would be great to here your insight.

Go on TSR, be helpful, you know you want to :colone:

Best places to backpack in Asia are India, Indonesia, and Japan. Seeing as Indonesia is the only one of those three that's in SE Asia, I think that's where you should start!

Komodo National Park - see the man-eating lizards in their only natural habitat on Rinca island

Bukit Lawang - see the critically endangered orangutans in the jungles of Sumatra

Mount Bromo - climb one of the highest active volcanoes in Indonesia

Borobudur - this is a famous backpacker haunt near Yogyakarta, a stupendous Buddhist temple with giant stupas and Buddha statues

Wakatobi - some of the best diving in the world can be found around here in the southern parts of Sulawesi

-----
Other countries
-----

The Temples of Angkor in Cambodia
The amazing beaches of Southern Thailand, especially Railay Beach
PETRONAS Towers sky bridge in Kuala Lumpur
The food of Singapore!
The Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon, Myanmar
Halong Bay in Vietnam
The beaches and diving opportunities of the Philippines, especially Boracay

You could also try China, which has many great highlights, such as the Great Wall, Terracotta Army, Tibet, Chengdu's pandas, Zhangjiajie floating mountains etc...
Jawa and Bali is a good start but true backpackers venture further east to the island of Flores. Travelling that island from west to east (komodo islands to kelimutu) is one of a kind adventure

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in S E Asia at the moment.... If you can include Sri Lanka in your trip (I know not SEAsia , but close) then I would say do it. My absolute about its place in the world, and I think knows the time to go before it becomes the new Thailand. Havn't been to the Philippines but many people I have met say it was their favourite place. South Thailand has amazing beaches , Railey, Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe have more of a backpacker vibe as opposed to the other more famous islands if that's what your after :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest