The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unsworth
Like what Van Gaal is doing with United, can't see you finishing above Chelsea or City this season though.

Regards,
Newcastle fan.

At this moment yes I'd agree. I feel we need 2-3 new players and a few departures. If we got that though I'd feel we had a good chance at the title. All depends who we sign mate. I'm encouraged Van Gaal didn't like the first two performances however. We've got a manager as good as City/Chelsea's now though, which we didn't last year.

How about yourselves? You've signed a lot of players.
Original post by Eboracum
Yes I think that's fair, but no British club does. Generally the top foreigners favour Spain over England, there's nothing we can do than that.

To be honest we've always struggled to sign the big foreign players, even when we were winning back to back league titles. Now isn't really any different. Herrera will be as good as any Arsenal midfielders.

If Callum Chambers is worth 19 and Lovren is worth 20, Shaw is worth 27.

You could make the case that Van Gaal is the best manager in the world. I'm not saying I'm arguing that, but this is a man who's won the league at every club he's been at. He's done well at Barcelona and Bayern Munich. I mean yeah, he'd probably have gone to Spurs as no other bigger clubs were in for him because there wasn't a managerial position available, with the exception of Barcelona, who usually appoint internally or non-high profile managers. You really are talking out of your bottom. The amount of anti-Manchester United drivel coming out of your mouth. I'd probably expect if from an Arsenal fan that spends his time in the MUFC thread.

Goodness me. I'd say go, get a football education, and come back when the season starts. Very few players in the PL are better than RVP and Mata. Van Gaal is better than most of them managers.

Chambers cost £11m not £19m. He has add-ons in his contract that take it higher but not to £19m.

Also Herrera is not as good as Ramsey or Ozil, the rest are debatable.
Original post by zKlown
Nooooo, he is wrong on the internet, I can't just simply ignore him!

To be honest I'm going to start trolling rival fans, as I'm getting tired of it in this thread. I'm interesting in forming a 'troll squad' where every few days we'll troll a different teams thread. I'd start with Arsenal following todays posts, then Chelsea. There are a few people it would give me great pleasure in trolling.
If Manchester United were seriously in for a player, we'd simply get him ahead of all of those clubs because we're the biggest, with the biggest pull. Anything else is just utter nonsense. There's very little you can do about this fact tbh. One bad season with a dud manager doesn't change any of this.

Manchester United are a bigger club than Liverpool. We've got a shirt deal worth more than their whole club.

The reality is, had we have offered Mourinho the job he'd have taken it. It's common knowledge that he wanted the job. But Ferguson offered it to Moyes instead, thus, to save face, Mourinho made it look like he always wanted Chelsea.

this will mean nothing when shaw signs for Chelsea in a few years
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
All of this will mean nothing when shaw signs for Chelsea in a few years

You're my first target son. It's good that Manchester United have a feeder club like Chelsea, where players can go, see if they work out, and if they do they come to Old Trafford for a bigger wage and to play for a bigger club. Juan Mata was the first, and Mourinho and Costa will arrive in 2-3 years if they work out. So I wish them both every success. Although this time round Mourinho has won the same amount of trophies as Moyes, so not good so far.
You're my first target son. It's good that Manchester United have a feeder club like Chelsea, where players can go, see if they work out, and if they do they come to Old Trafford for a bigger wage and to play for a bigger club. Juan Mata was the first, and Mourinho and Costa will arrive in 2-3 years if they work out. So I wish them both every success. Although this time round Mourinho has won the same amount of trophies as Moyes, so not good so far.

the big question is though, will you even be a manchester united fan within 2-3 years? I expect a dozen trial periods within that time tbf.
Original post by Pete_91

Also Herrera is not as good as Ramsey

You do not have the information necessary to make that comparison.

I'm not here to say OMGHERRRERAISBETA but Ramsey had 1 good season, before which my Arsenal friends would often sigh seeing his name in the starting 11. Herrera hasn't played a single game in the PL and was at a fairly mediocre team in the Spain.

Dont get me wrong Ramsey was outstanding last season and I was very impressed when he came back from injury and continued that form, I didn't think he would. One season though, in my opinion is not enough to consider him among players like Ozil just yet. I will probably get called biased for this but I said the same about Januzaj when people started to compare him to Ronaldo at the same age or any other united player people blow out of proportion.
the big question is though, will you even be a manchester united fan within 2-3 years? I expect a dozen trial periods within that time tbf.

Loooooool :lol:
Original post by Londonboy1234
Van Gaal... the same guy that was the heavy favourite for the Tottenham job before Moyes was sacked?

Let's not kid ourselves, the guy isn't even in the top 10 managers in world football. He is nothing more than an AVB - did alright at a smallish club, then went onto a big club failed, got sacked, then continues to somehow get big jobs.

Holland had the easiest World Cup route ever. Spain was their only real challenge (up until the semi's) and that Spain side is finished. It took them penalties to beat Costa Rica.

:facepalm:

First of all, yes he was after he said he wanted to work in England and that was the only real vacancy.

Van Gaal, along with Mourinho and Ancelloti are the best managers in football currently. Ajax weren't a 'smallish' club, they won the Champions League beating Milan and Bayern. He won league titles at every club he's been at, including AZ (somehow). He never failed at any club, he has a big ego which collided with the similar big egos in the Barcelona/Munich hierarchies. Even Guardiola almost fell out with Beckenbauer when they lost to Real Madrid last season.

You wouldn't have expected an aged Dutch side with all their best players over 30 years old thrashing the world and european champions... You would have thought Spain were favourites to win before the match. They beat Spain, Chile and Mexico, hardly easy. Costa Rica would have lost in 90 minutes if it wasn't for Keylor Navas' performance. This is the same Costa Rica side that beat Uruguay and Italy. People in Holland didn't think they'd even make it out of the group stage so finishing 3rd is incredible.
1. Klopp
2. Guardiola
3. Simeone
4. Mourinho
5. Wenger
6. Pellegrini
7. Ancelloti
8. Rudi Garcia
9. Del Bosque
10. Löw

:lol:

Of course I will now we have Louis Van Gaal, the greatest manager in the world. But perhaps a bigger question is, were you a Chelsea fan before 2004? Or did you conveniently sail up the Thames on the SS Abramovich?
Original post by h3isenberg
:facepalm:

First of all, yes he was after he said he wanted to work in England and that was the only real vacancy.

Van Gaal, along with Mourinho and Ancelloti are the best managers in football currently. Ajax weren't a 'smallish' club, they won the Champions League beating Milan and Bayern. He won league titles at every club he's been at, including AZ (somehow). He never failed at any club, he has a big ego which collided with the similar big egos in the Barcelona/Munich hierarchies. Even Guardiola almost fell out with Beckenbauer when they lost to Real Madrid last season.

You wouldn't have expected an aged Dutch side with all their best players over 30 years old thrashing the world and european champions... You would have thought Spain were favourites to win before the match. They beat Spain, Chile and Mexico, hardly easy. Costa Rica would have lost in 90 minutes if it wasn't for Keylor Navas' performance. This is the same Costa Rica side that beat Uruguay and Italy. People in Holland didn't think they'd even make it out of the group stage so finishing 3rd is incredible.

He is not a better manager than Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola or Diego Simeone lmfao.
Oh, this is still going. I wonder who Londonboy is a dupe of.
United fans, who probably didnt even know who Van Gaal was before the WC, rating him above the likes of Klopp, Simeone, Guardiola, Wenger, is just lol.
Original post by Zürich
Wilshere is. But Ramsey has had literally 2 injuries in his career, one of which was a freak leg break(AR has played 126 club games in the last 3 seasons) and 2010-2013 Walcott was almost always fit(TW has played 107 in the same time). :confused:

Quite clearly, you're basing your perceptions entirely on last season alone. Or it's just wishful thinking.

This personally. Although I think Ramsey's game means that he'll probably suffer a downturn in form mid season. This season has been the only season when Ramsey has played well for pretty much all of the games he's played.

Original post by hayles101
Well we will agree to disagree on Ramsey for now, next season will be a good indicator. Maybe I have judged him a big to prematurely, time will tell if I am right.

Definitely stand by the other two however.

Ramsey is not injury prone.

He's suffered burnout before due to his game relying on energy, this happened in the 11/12 season where he had a few good months and a downturn in form afterwards.

He had a leg break and one injury this year. If that's injury prone then Rooney is very injury prone as during christmas time he is almost always injured.

Walcott only has had one bad season injury wise which was the past season.
He is not a better manager than Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola or Diego Simeone lmfao.

Klopp and Simeone have only proven themselves at one top club each, so he's automatically better than that pair. Guardiola inherited the best team in the world at Bayern. Anything other than the double would have been bitterly disappointing.
Original post by CB91
United fans, who probably didnt even know who Van Gaal was before the WC, rating him above the likes of Klopp, Simeone, Guardiola, Wenger, is just lol.

Funny enough that nobody had Van Gaal on their lists for managing united yet had klopp...
At this moment yes I'd agree. I feel we need 2-3 new players and a few departures. If we got that though I'd feel we had a good chance at the title. All depends who we sign mate. I'm encouraged Van Gaal didn't like the first two performances however. We've got a manager as good as City/Chelsea's now though, which we didn't last year.

How about yourselves? You've signed a lot of players.

Agreed. I think Van Gaal will be able to control the egos of certain United players, something Moyes couldn't do. He is exactly who you need and I like his style a lot. 2 years time and I think United will be back to being a dominant force.

Haha the one thing I've learnt over the years with Newcastle is to not expect anything. One minute we can be beating United/Arsenal, the next we can be losing at home to Hull. I was pleased with our season last year really, think we will struggle to better that this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klopp better manager.... Very short termist
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Funny enough that nobody had Van Gaal on their lists for managing united yet had klopp...

Yup. Exactly.

If he wasn't their new manager they would be agreeing with me.

Not once did I hear, read or see a Manchester United fan marking Van Gaal down as their choice to replace David Moyes.

Latest