The Student Room Group

Students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than those doing Math/Science

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
No lol, I don't deny, or I don't disagree.

Everyone loves benzene <3

Helpful hint that no-one told me for physics.

Look at the units of the answer given in the question. For example if you are stuck and have no idea what to do on a phy question and the units are ms^-1, do distance/time. Picked up a lot more marks than if I hadn't had realised that personally. :tongue:

Yeah, I did that in exams xD I also did that in reverse- so when I couldn't remember the units for something. It works sometimes, like with the units for specific heat capacity and momentum :wink:
Original post by thechemistress
Yeah, I did that in exams xD I also did that in reverse- so when I couldn't remember the units for something. It works sometimes, like with the units for specific heat capacity and momentum :wink:

Not if its like a 5 marker, they usually require more steps etc.

But yeah I could see that working too :biggrin:
so whats the joke? maths and science are harder than english or that neither show you are smarter?
Reply 23
They're the same, just different. Wow I feel very philosophical.
Both subjects test different skills, so I think it's hard to make a comparison between the two, so students getting an A* in English aren't necessarily smarter than those doing Maths/Science. But I do find it annoying when people think that studying English is pointless or that it's easy because "there's no right answer". The marking is so subjective, particularly at A-Level, and it's actually a lot harder to pick up marks than people think. I feel like as a subject it deserves more respect for what it demands. At GCSE English might have been ok, but at A Level it's a lot different and people not studying it don't realise that.
Original post by newblood
''more clever''

really? You're certainly not cleverer then...i imagine no A*s in english for you lol

cleverer ain't a word nomsaying.

is obvious :facepalm2:

Nope, a star in eng lit and eng land - happy time :biggrin:

Original post by Mubariz
GCSEs tho.

Don't count

Posted from TSR Mobile

nice to brag about though xD
Original post by PerryPerry95
so whats the joke? maths and science are harder than english or that neither show you are smarter?

The former.

Original post by Asciant
They're the same, just different. Wow I feel very philosophical.

Sun Tsu **** right there :yep:

Original post by Dougieowner
Both subjects test different skills, so I think it's hard to make a comparison between the two, so students getting an A* in English aren't necessarily smarter than those doing Maths/Science. But I do find it annoying when people think that studying English is pointless or that it's easy because "there's no right answer". The marking is so subjective, particularly at A-Level, and it's actually a lot harder to pick up marks than people think. I feel like as a subject it deserves more respect for what it demands. At GCSE English might have been ok, but at A Level it's a lot different and people not studying it don't realise that.

good point.

lol wut https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120331103939AAbBPCe

they really are just giving out the grades nowadays. I got 100% in both my english lit exams bro...and im doing maths at uni

nuffsaid

Not to people who know they're worth jack. Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why does this have to be a joke thread? I agree. :frown:
Reply 30
Original post by yellowcopter
Why does this have to be a joke thread? I agree. :frown:

Hahahahaha please say you're not serious :redface:

Spoiler

Original post by Asciant
Hahahahaha please say you're not serious :redface:

Spoiler

I am. :tongue: Well I was half serious.

What I meant is A* English students are no smarter or dumber than Maths and Science A* students. Some people are just better at one or the other. :smile:

...then you have the super smart kids who get A* in both!
Reply 32
I am. :tongue: Well I was half serious.

What I meant is A* English students are no smarter or dumber than Maths and Science A* students. Some people are just better at one or the other. :smile:

...then you have the super smart kids who get A* in both!

Yeah, that is true. You kinda need to think in a different way for both of them
Reply 33
Tbf, I've done Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths all to A-level, as well as first year medicine... and I still consider GCSE English Lit as the hardest exam I've sat. I think I'm a little better at English now, but I was completely out of my comfort zone. I seriously respect anyone who gets an A* in English Lit GCSE. :gthumb:

EDIT: Actually BMAT was the hardest, but still **** English Lit.
Original post by Asciant
Yeah, that is true. You kinda need to think in a different way for both of them

Yep. :smile: It's why your typical A* Maths student (from what I've seen, obviously there are exceptions) is usually on a B grade in English, and the opposite way around for your A* English students.
Yep. :smile: It's why your typical A* Maths student (from what I've seen, obviously there are exceptions) is usually on a B grade in English, and the opposite way around for your A* English students.

From my school we only had about 6 kids capable of getting an A* in maths, and all of them were very good in English too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gimmi some of dat **** u been smokin.

On a serious note, English just consists of how well you can bullsh*t. Maths on the other hand is about applying logic and there's only 1 right answer, so you can't "get lucky".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz
From my school we only had about 6 kids capable of getting an A* in maths, and all of them were very good in English too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said, it's varies. :smile: Since they were the most capable, it would be likely they would be A* all across the board students anyway.
One isn't better than the other.
Reply 39

Everyone at my school who gets an A/A* in maths gets the same in English lol :biggrin: Although there are some who are maths/english Gods but they still get A*s in the other subject

Quick Reply

Latest