The Student Room Group

Students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than those doing Math/Science

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mubariz
Since they are viewed in the same level I highly doubt they are that hard.

Let's be real here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, they are not viewed on the same level. I also found this out when I got accepted at a highly prestigious university with 2Cs and an A despite them requiring 3As. They said they knew the. syllabus was 'more engaging'. Jussayin'
Original post by Changing Skies
Frustrates me when people say that, in terms of the A level anyway. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? I do economics, it's an essay based subject and all I do is bullsh*t as much as I can. I presume it's the same for English.
Reply 62
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Current account balance > Life itself.

You realise investment bankers aren't the créme de la créme of earners within the financial industry right? With a PhD in maths/physics and fluency in a decent programming language there'd be much more financially rewarding roles available.
Original post by mayamiller
Actually, they are not viewed on the same level. I also found this out when I got accepted at a highly prestigious university with 2Cs and an A despite them requiring 3As. They said they knew the. syllabus was 'more engaging'. Jussayin'

Oh right really?

When you look on university websites it states the requirement for IB and the requirements for A level. They never specify exam boards.

I'm not gonna go off what somebody random said off the internet based off no evidence. You can keep thinking your qualification is superior but it's an A level like everybody else's.

Lol at highly prestigious uni accepting ACC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
He was very smart too I won't deny that.

But you know what, Bill Gates, even more so. And he was a scientist

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, he was a drop out.
Original post by Noble.
You realise investment bankers aren't the créme de la créme of earners within the financial industry right? With a PhD in maths/physics and fluency in a decent programming language there'd be much more financially rewarding roles available.

I know, I'm taking the piss. HF managers > everything.
If you're not F/O Investment Banker at Goldman Sachs, you're not smart.

/thread

What say you to my friend who was a FO quant at GS with a Distinction in Part III Maths at Cambridge but left after 2 years (despite earning way more than a typical 1st/2nd year, I may add) to do a PhD instead?
Original post by ClickItBack
What say you to my friend who was a FO quant at GS with a Distinction in Part III Maths at Cambridge but left after 2 years (despite earning way more than a typical 1st/2nd year, I may add) to do a PhD instead?

No pic, no proof.
Original post by Mubariz
Oh right really?

When you look on university websites it states the requirement for IB and the requirements for A level. They never specify exam boards.

I'm not gonna go off what somebody random said off the internet based off no evidence. You can keep thinking your qualification is superior but it's an A level like everybody else's.

Lol at highly prestigious uni accepting ACC

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know why you are getting butthurt about this fact. It happened. And I'm not saying it just to brag. Some of my own teachers cannot come up with an answer sometimes when I ask questions or ask a past paper mark scheme explanation and they are qualified people who have taught across atleast 3 different Uk boards and they appear to all have the same judgement...which would be far superior to mine or yours as they are the educators. But it is true...unis do judge on the same level because they assume so...but I'm an international student so I guess my qualification are looked separately.
Nah, he was a drop out.

He was a dropout but he made one of the most successful businesses ever.

And a tonne of money. He just took the opportunity and he made it big.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No pic, no proof.

Actually now that I think about it, probably around 25% of my friends from FO (trading, mostly) decided to quit. Generally the smarter ones too.
Original post by Dilzo999
Why? I do economics, it's an essay based subject and all I do is bullsh*t as much as I can. I presume it's the same for English.

Because unless you follow the really strict AOs, you get an awful mark. You need to have a wide knowledge on the historical background of the play/poem/novel, and you can't exactly make history up :tongue: you also have to make connections between texts you haven't studied, which you also can't make up, so you either have to read loads to create said connections or research them prior. Whilst I agree you can blag your way through some of the interpretation, you won't do well if you don't know the text inside out, that means learning a ridiculous number of quotations from the text, its history, and critic interpretations :tongue: you go ever so slightly away from the question and they'll cross it out. English is so strict and so subjective, making it difficult to hit top marks. :tongue: I do also believe it'd be far easier to go into an English exam without revision and do fairly decent than it would a maths exam.

I can't see how you'd be able to blag through economics, but I didn't study it so wouldn't know :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Because unless you follow the really strict AOs, you get an awful mark. You need to have a wide knowledge on the historical background of the play/poem/novel, and you can't exactly make history up :tongue: you also have to make connections between texts you haven't studied, which you also can't make up, so you either have to read loads to create said connections or research them prior. Whilst I agree you can blag your way through some of the interpretation, you won't do well if you don't know the text inside out, that means learning a ridiculous number of quotations from the text, its history, and critic interpretations :tongue: you go ever so slightly away from the question and they'll cross it out. English is so strict and so subjective, making it difficult to hit top marks. :tongue: I do also believe it'd be far easier to go into an English exam without revision and do fairly decent than it would a maths exam.

I can't see how you'd be able to blag through economics, but I didn't study it so wouldn't know :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, I stand corrected.
Original post by Asciant
Is it? :tongue: That was not my intention and I am sorry :smile:

Wow, that is kind of ridiculous and doesn't make much sense. I think my year 7 english was like level 0, and I'm targeted an A* (although I doubt I will get that because I can't write properly :biggrin:). The setting system at your school sounds kind of silly really, you can't judge people on their year 7 grades because y'know, people change :tongue:

It's fine. :smile:

Yeah it is silly, English is the only one I managed to get into Set 1 for, and that was only because I got a Level 7 or something for one of my Year 7 homework pieces. :tongue: English has always been my thing compared to Science and Maths, not that I don't love them either but I'm only expecting an A (or worst case scenario B) in Sci and Maths.

My school putting me in crap sets just because I used to be lazy in Year 7! Oh well, at least I managed and got to do all the GCSEs I want to do - that's what counts. :biggrin:
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
EDIT - This is at GCSE and A Level standard

Couldn't fit the title I wanted in its entirety so see below.

So students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than students getting an A* grade in subjects such as Math and Science.

Don't you all think that I am correct. I've been talking to other TSRians and wanted to pose the aforementioned question.

Subjects such as Maths,Science etc. are easy, a piece of cake to metaphorise(my new word) it.. Anyone can remember trends in ionisation energies but it is obvious that remembering quotes requires a higher skill of dexterity. And also for subjects such as Maths - past papers are in abundance, and there are websites which spoon-feed you the material, i.e. Exam Solutions. Not like English - where you have to do all the work independently.

Subjects like Biology are particularly easy revise the book and there is your A*, not like English Lit where you could get asked so many different types of questions.

Subjects like Eng lit requires both hard work and natural talent - something that you only really need a bit-part work ethic to do for Maths and Science subjects.

It's much more difficult to remember the PEE structure and to quote what where and talk about all of the linguistic devices - whilst keeping under time management. On the flipside rearranging equations is second nature to everyone - not too difficult imo. I'll tell you what's difficult the amount of time you have to set aside in reading, and writing for REAL subjects like English Literature and History :yep:

I consider myself to be correct in my reasoning here, and so I don't want all you mathsy students having a go at me. There are no right or wrong answers in english, making it even more difficult to attain an A* and we have coursework making a large percentage of our final grade - whereas maths students - edexcel - have their grade solely based on the exams they take.

Lastly all of you maths and science students seething behind your computer screen, or phone screen if you are out and about - sit down you know I'm right :yep: I hope you are not too mad. :colone:

Spoiler

Now discuss.

Spoiler

such *******s, I got an A* at english and in maths and science, i then continued to do both maths and physics at A-Level, the ability to remember quotes requires no more skill than to remember energy levels its all about personal preference, i was more interested in maths and science therefore i found it more easier to remember facts and figures rather than quotes. Also for me the key to passing english was to talk complete bull**** about w.e. the topic was and be able to link it back, that literally is all you had to do, so calm your tits with your trying to justify that statement and turn your **** opinion into fact with **** points.
Original post by theconsciousindian
such *******s, I got an A* at english and in maths and science, i then continued to do both maths and physics at A-Level, the ability to remember quotes requires no more skill than to remember energy levels its all about personal preference, i was more interested in maths and science therefore i found it more easier to remember facts and figures rather than quotes. Also for me the key to passing english was to talk complete bull**** about w.e. the topic was and be able to link it back, that literally is all you had to do, so calm your tits with your trying to justify that statement and turn your **** opinion into fact with **** points.

Did you not read the spoilers lmao.

I do maths and science a levels hahaha
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Are you ****ing retarded?

I got straight A stars at GCSE.

Did you not read the ****ing spoilers lmao.

I do maths and science a levels hahaha

Chat****.

i actually read the whole thing, and i now feel like a t w a t, i apologies .
but yeah i wasn't lying about what i studied, i rarely comment on this forum and honestly don't care what strangers think, but again yeah my bad
Original post by theconsciousindian
i actually read the whole thing, and i now feel like a t w a t, i apologies .
but yeah i wasn't lying about what i studied, i rarely comment on this forum and honestly don't care what strangers think, but again yeah my bad

No I am sorry too, was joking.

NOr do I tbh, was sick of english students whining on here tbh.

Good luck in your studies.

Again I am sorry too :redface:
"remembering quotes requires a higher skill of dexterity"

This is why people graduate from STEM subjects and can't get jobs. They can't bloody write half of them!
What a joke. English is way easier than Maths and Sciences. Too many comedians on the student room.

Quick Reply

Latest