The Student Room Group

AQA A2 French Unit 3 June 19th 2014

Scroll to see replies

Are they even allowed to put them up so much?! Going on last years grade boundaries I'd need 69 marks, this year I need 79!! That's such bs, not going to uni this year then?!
I actually thought that it was an easier paper than 2013 and previous years.

The listening and reading questions didn't have any "trick" questions, and the vocabulary/grammar in both translations were accessible and things that we'd studied in depth.

AQA were very kind with essay question that I did (20th C history), but I am aware that other questions (e.g. region?) were a lot more difficult this year.

Regardless, I had assumed that the grade boundaries reflect the standard so that roughly the same percentage of candidates get each respective grade, year on year? If this is the case, (correct me if I'm wrong), we'll all receive the grades we would have, had this June 2014 paper been super easy (with ridiculously high boundaries) or super hard (with ridiculously low boundaries).

We'll know tomorrow morning, anyway... eek! Good luck!
this is the worst news i cant believe it im like low-level B on a good day and i need A*AA
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ArtisticFlair
I actually thought that it was an easier paper than 2013 and previous years.

The listening and reading questions didn't have any "trick" questions, and the vocabulary/grammar in both translations were accessible and things that we'd studied in depth.

AQA were very kind with essay question that I did (20th C history), but I am aware that other questions (e.g. region?) were a lot more difficult this year.

Regardless, I had assumed that the grade boundaries reflect the standard so that roughly the same percentage of candidates get each respective grade, year on year? If this is the case, (correct me if I'm wrong), we'll all receive the grades we would have, had this June 2014 paper been super easy (with ridiculously high boundaries) or super hard (with ridiculously low boundaries).

We'll know tomorrow morning, anyway... eek! Good luck!

Theoretically, yes, but it means it leaves us little room for error, mistakes you make under exam pressure that you know are wrong within like 5 minutes of leaving the exam room!

Also, remember that you studying something in depth doesn't equate to everyone studying it in depth!

Region questions were disgusting, absolutely horrific, and that plus the grade boundaries has probably excluded me from my firm University- beyond gutted that I chose to focus on the region, as I could pull off quality essays, just not for the ridiculous questions we were set, when other topics seemed to have reasonable ones :/

I suspect that I'll end up with a lower grade, because I have no room for mistakes, and my essay wasn't as good as I would've liked... we shall see, I guess?
Hmm, I'm happy (I got an A thanks to 90% last year) but my A2 module scores were quite low!

How did everyone else do?
I got 58/60 UMS on my oral, but only 92/140 UMS in listening, reading and writing (C), so a B overall, which I wasnt expecting. (I was predicted A or even A*) Is anyone else in this situation?? It is strange as I didnt feel anything went wrong - questions seemed good for the writing!
Reply 526
Original post by elliesmith567
I got 58/60 UMS on my oral, but only 92/140 UMS in listening, reading and writing (C), so a B overall, which I wasnt expecting. (I was predicted A or even A*) Is anyone else in this situation?? It is strange as I didnt feel anything went wrong - questions seemed good for the writing!

I'm in exactly the same situation! I got 60/60 ums on the oral and only 86/140 ums in the Listening, Reading, Writing so ended up with a B overall when I should have gotten an A :/ But I'm grateful to at least have a B!
I got 68 ums (e) in the exam, and 40 ums (c)for my oral so I got a C overall (B for both AS exams) I am a bit surprised at how badly I did in the exam, but I think most people in my class didnt do well in that exam, and the boundaries were very high!
I got 47(B) on the oral and 109(B) on the big paper which worked out as an A overall with my two A's from last year. My French teacher thought I'd get an A* but can't really complain, grade boundaries were really high.
I got 52 on the speaking exam and 101 on unit 3, which I'm really pleased about! But I resat unit 1 and did worse than I did last year, A2 is weirdly easier than AS in my opinion😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really confused with my French result, I got a C overall but I got a d (78/140) in Unit 3; the d in my oral I expected as I messed that up, but I came out of French Unit 3 so so so happy, I thought my writing went pretty well and from the mark schemes that were compiled I was feeling really confident of a high B, possibly even an A. I feel a bit screwed over tbh, gonna speak to my teacher about getting a remark -
Anyone else's results unexpected?
137/140 for Unit 3, over the moon! :cute:
Reply 532
My teacher said everyone's oral was down a grade from what she was expecting, and I did worse in both than I expected! :frown: marking must have been harsh or just horrible grade boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A in French :biggrin:
Original post by crescendox
I got an A in French :biggrin:

Great!! :smile:
So similar to you guys- 58/60 on the oral [I was pleased, was expecting low 50s] and then a disappointing 109 on the written exam, so an A overall with 343. Palindromic, but still my lowest A Level and I do miss that asterisk I was hoping for!!
Original post by RMT
I'm in exactly the same situation! I got 60/60 ums on the oral and only 86/140 ums in the Listening, Reading, Writing so ended up with a B overall when I should have gotten an A :/ But I'm grateful to at least have a B!

Same with me, my unit 3 paper was so much worse bringing it to B when I was predicted an A :/
Scraped an A* with 126/140 and 54/60 lol
I'm so happy I got an A! However, I got a C on Unit 3, and I thought the paper was pretty good?
Guysss I got A*AB

I was ONE UMS off the A in FRENCH! ughhh, Thank God my uni still confirmed my place even tho my offer was AAA

Should I remark speaking or the written paper??? I really need it to go up for my own personal sanity loool I got a B in the speaking, I thought I got much higher and a C in the written which I pretty much expected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending