The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Emily Bowes Court - Hale Village

Scroll to see replies

I'm in Block D, when/where were the rats spotted?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
go to the Emily Bowes court facebook page and read the comments, then you'll see what people think lool. (it isn't good)

my best friend goes there. She studies at London Met.
Never have any hot water, building work still going on all around them. the building has floods, the doors don't lock, the laundry room is basically always broken,

and by no hot water, i mean some people STILL have no hot water since September.
people have been demanding refunds, to move halls, to cancel their contracts.

she made amazing friends....but the halls arent very good.
Hi,
I'm living at Emily Bowes now and trust me do not take the offer! For a very high price, the rooms are much more battered and worn than the showroom (although they are being redone this summer). The Unite staff here are absolutely appalling, seem helpful at first but ultimately rubbish! I have had mice repeatedly and they have done little about it, I had no heating through winter while I was here, we don't get our own post keys (although told we would in sep) so can only get post 9-5, If you live with really dirty people unite will do nothing about it, they do 1 flat inspection at the start of the year then nothing. When I arrived my microwave, bin, cooker and mop were all broken. The rooms get so hot but if you open the window there is really noisy building outside which is soooo annoying during revision time. If you have noisy neighbours and reports them, unite will do nothing (however this means you can have big parties without getting in much trouble). Its only turned into a none smoking building recently As was the hoover which had been used to hoover thousands of mice droppings without a bag in. The flats aren't properly cleaned before you get there either. In addition, the halls are in a horrible, rough area of London. I strongly advise you not to take up these halls (or any other halls with unite). I wish I had just gone into a flatshare. My friend is in a flat much closer to central London(Kensington) with an amazing landlord for £40 less a week! good luck x
Original post by -coley-
Did anyone receive an offer for Emily Bowes Court?

Will you take it?

I don't know yet...it's the most expensive hall + 51 weeks!!

It Might be expensive but you are situated in a great location for travel anywhere in London. Central London accommodation would be much more expensive.
Whilst studying at Kings College, I rented a studio apartment. There were teething problems when I first moved in. These were rectified and compensation given out to all tenants. My rent was £250 per week but I had fantastic views and the studio was very large with its own kitchen and shower room. Much bigger than the single rooms. Two people could share a studio.
Original post by Msk00000000
Hi,
I'm living at Emily Bowes now and trust me do not take the offer! For a very high price, the rooms are much more battered and worn than the showroom (although they are being redone this summer). The Unite staff here are absolutely appalling, seem helpful at first but ultimately rubbish! I have had mice repeatedly and they have done little about it, I had no heating through winter while I was here, we don't get our own post keys (although told we would in sep) so can only get post 9-5, If you live with really dirty people unite will do nothing about it, they do 1 flat inspection at the start of the year then nothing. When I arrived my microwave, bin, cooker and mop were all broken. The rooms get so hot but if you open the window there is really noisy building outside which is soooo annoying during revision time. If you have noisy neighbours and reports them, unite will do nothing (however this means you can have big parties without getting in much trouble). Its only turned into a none smoking building recently As was the hoover which had been used to hoover thousands of mice droppings without a bag in. The flats aren't properly cleaned before you get there either. In addition, the halls are in a horrible, rough area of London. I strongly advise you not to take up these halls (or any other halls with unite). I wish I had just gone into a flatshare. My friend is in a flat much closer to central London(Kensington) with an amazing landlord for £40 less a week! good luck x

I do sympathise with you. I had no wardrobel upon arrival at my studio. Numerous problems with plumbing ensued but these were rectified. I'm afraid a lot of the other problems you mention are down to students. We had smoke alarms going off regularly at 3am in the morning due to selfish smokers and burning food. I too felt my complaints were not listened to. However, things were sorted. It transpired that a sudent was deliberately setting off the alarms and he was later fined and evicted.
(edited 9 years ago)
I do sympathise with you. I had no wardrobel upon arrival at my studio. Numerous problems with plumbing ensued but these were rectified. I'm afraid a lot of the other problems you mention are down to students. We had smoke alarms going off regularly at 3am in the morning due to selfish smokers and burning food. I too felt my complaints were not listened to. However, things were sorted. It transpired that a sudent was deliberately setting off the alarms and he was later fined and evicted.
Original post by Miss Webber
I'm in Block D, when/where were the rats spotted?

Rats were a problem. This was due to students leaving the main rubbish skips being contantly exposed and students just dumping rubbish inappropriately. The door to the rubbish skips should be kept closed.
Rats were a problem. This was due to students leaving the main rubbish skips being contantly exposed and students just dumping rubbish inappropriately. The door to the rubbish skips should be kept closed.
Original post by Robsten
Has any one else heard any news of this 'free oyster card' which as £100 on it, which we are supposed to be getting from unite..?

No such thing as free!! The gym is supposed to be free too but they just put the rent up to compensate.
Original post by Chrisateen
hey does anyone know whether they provide a space for cars to park so we can move our stuff in?

You can load and unload but beware, get someone to stay with your vehicle whilst doing this. When I moved out the clampers were waiting just around the corner. Emily Bowes say it is not there problem as it is public land.
Reply 191
I suffered from EMILY BOWES COURT, they are so ridiculous, there are few points that I want to say:

1. toilet is broken weekly, the water drop is very loud at night, could not sleep
2. higher floor has none or poor heating service, the winter is impossible to live
3. internet is not stable, not fast , it is possible to play game. sometime it would disconnect while I was doing online test
4. there are mice in the room but no one come to solve the problem, although they said they would
5. poor security, everyone can follow you to come inside, sometimes drunk people will come know your door
6. your roommate steal things in kitchen or put salt on your food
7. there are glass on the top of the building, caused so many insects during the summer
8. common room has the worst cleaner, they spray cleaning sprays on you and annoying you every time you try to work
9. too far from anywhere, especially during strike, there are so many black man around this area who might steal

I really could not stand this area, and I highly recommend all of you NOT TO LIVE here!
Reply 192
I suffered from EMILY BOWES COURT, they are so ridiculous, there are few points that I want to say:

1. toilet is broken weekly, the water drop is very loud at night, could not sleep

2. higher floor has none or poor heating service, the winter is impossible to live

3. internet is not stable, not fast , it is possible to play game. sometime it would disconnect while I was doing online test

4. there are mice in the room but no one come to solve the problem, although they said they would

5. poor security, everyone can follow you to come inside, sometimes drunk people will come know your door

6. your roommate steal things in kitchen or put salt on your food

7. there are glass on the top of the building, caused so many insects during the summer

8. common room has the worst cleaner, they spray cleaning sprays on you and annoying you every time you try to work

9. too far from anywhere, especially during strike, there are so many black man around this area who might steal

I really could not stand this area, and I highly recommend all of you NOT TO LIVE here!
Anyone know how much discount you get as a Birkbeck student if you stay at Emily Bowes?
What was all of your experiences at emily bowes?

I found some reviews for it on hall bookers, and they were generally quite good, but I wanted some other people's opinions too.
Reply 195
i think most of the bad reviews is all from 1 guy, i see his posts everywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending