The Student Room Group

It's OK to call things "gay"

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;sWS0GVOQPs0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0[/video]

That's all I have to say :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DylanJ96
The word "gay" isn't nicotine.

Hardly a fair comparison... If you grow up with people around you using the word to describe something bad it becomes second nature to you to say it, hence why it's hard to correct.
Reply 22
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
If the word 'gay' originally meant happy and then evolved to mean homosexuals. Why is it completely out of the question for the word to evolve into something different?

Language and culture change through time. Why are you all hanging on like some conservatives who fail to move with the times. The word has been reclaimed and used for a different meaning. Deal with it.

Because the usage of "gay" that I'm referring to, which is all too common, forces bad and gay to be synonyms and this is very wrong. The evolution of language is no justification.

I am a Conservative so perhaps that's why, but that's besides the point :colondollar: It's simply not acceptable for a word which equates being gay with something bad to be accepted on the basis of it being used for a different meaning. There are a dizzying array of adjectives which can be used for something bad which doesn't offend people. Saying something is gay isn't okay. Deal with it.
Why is there a discussion about this? Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by shiva300
it just sounds SO childish :') like seriously are you so dumb you can't think of a more appropriate adjective... this is something year 7's would say because they don't realise the negative connotations. people saying "it's a habit" get a grip!

Couldn't agree more. Smoking is a habit, not calling something "gay" because they can't think of another way to put it.
Reply 25
Original post by Jelly150
Why is there a discussion about this? Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it's both an interesting and relevant point?
Because it's both an interesting and relevant point?

Lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by BBeyond
Hardly a fair comparison... If you grow up with people around you using the word to describe something bad it becomes second nature to you to say it, hence why it's hard to correct.

I simply don't accept that using the word "gay" in that way is as addictive as you suggest. I do, however, recognise that it may be something of an urge but one which, nevertheless, must be deemed as wrong. I think reducing it to a mere habit takes away from the seriousness of this misuse of the word and everything which it represents.
Reply 28

That reply says more about you than the topic of this thread...
Because the usage of "gay" that I'm referring to, which is all too common, forces bad and gay to be synonyms and this is very wrong. The evolution of language is no justification.

I am a Conservative so perhaps that's why, but that's besides the point :colondollar: It's simply not acceptable for a word which equates being gay with something bad to be accepted on the basis of it being used for a different meaning. There are a dizzying array of adjectives which can be used for something bad which doesn't offend people. Saying something is gay isn't okay. Deal with it.

I don't see why that's a justification. Surely people were outraged at the time when the word was originally changed from gleeful to meaning homosexual. When someone says "haha that's so gay!" it has nothing to do with any sexual connotations. We're not being directly homophobic, we're just using a word in a different context. You can't stop people using the English language in the way they wish, and lets be honest... the word gay to meaning something other than your sexual preferences is well rooted in society now. The word has changed.
I simply don't accept that using the word "gay" in that way is as addictive as you suggest. I do, however, recognise that it may be something of an urge but one which, nevertheless, must be deemed as wrong. I think reducing it to a mere habit takes away from the seriousness of this misuse of the word and everything which it represents.

Fair enough. I could sit here and debate with you all night but I'm heading to bed now. I understand where you're coming from and will endeavour to completely remove the word from my vocabulary in that context!

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://bristol.tab.co.uk/2013/11/22/its-ok-to-call-things-gay-stop-worrying-about-it-offending-people/

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Just today I've seen someone call another person a "faggot" for leaving his mobile phone somewhere and, thus, the word was casually used as a synonym for stupid or at any rate bad.

It certainly isn't. It just perpetuates covert homophobia by treating "gay" as a synonym for "bad" or "lame".

No wonder it was a Bristol student who wrote this article; he sounds like a complete moron. Just because he doesn't find the word offensive doesn't mean it isn't.
Reply 32
It does irritate me but I don't kick up a fuss about it. I just hope the of it will slowly fade away because it certainly doesn't help. We're living in a time when being gay is fine, yet use the word as a negative.

That Bristol article is complete BS. 'Hey look I'm gay and I don't mind, so other gays who do mind are just being over the top' is the message he is sending out there. What a plonker.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BBeyond
It is wrong yes, but for a lot of people (myself included) it's just a bad habit :frown:

Are you poor or low class?
Original post by Asexual Demigod

No, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Asexual Demigod

Oh yeah, let's solve this argument by being classist. That's the same type of prejudice that you're arguing against... try not to be a hypocrite.
Only on tsr, huh.

There is a habit of that. Discussion of things that I've never experienced in the real world, not even once. Some people call things gay, and no one cares. Not even the gay people I know.

I really think it's a total nonissue.

I can't imagine someone with a decent upbringing using such disparaging and close-minded words out of mere habit.
Original post by colourtheory
Oh yeah, let's solve this argument by being classist. That's the same type of prejudice that you're arguing against... try not to be a hypocrite.

It tends to be the scruffy state school students who call everything "gay". Those of us with a little more dignity do not act so immaturely.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
If the word 'gay' originally meant happy and then evolved to mean homosexuals. Why is it completely out of the question for the word to evolve into something different?

Language and culture change through time. Why are you all hanging on like some conservatives who fail to move with the times. The word has been reclaimed and used for a different meaning. Deal with it.

Because it'a turning into a word with negative connotations. That's hardly a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest