The Student Room Group

How would a student's knowledge of biology be different...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Flippin heck.

The wavelength of blue light will be objectively the same no matter what language you speak. It is measurable and observable. It is the exact same!

Yes.

Do you think if you learnt biology in france, you would know all these technical ENGLISH biology words? If you don't, then your knowledge is different.

Concepts same. Language knowledge different. So overall knowledge different.
Reply 81
Wow this thread developed a lot.
Original post by godd
Yes.

Do you think if you learnt biology in france, you would know all these technical ENGLISH biology words? If you don't, then your knowledge is different.

Bloody hell, no point in this thread anymore as you're not understanding anything.

You're just stating that people in different countries speak and study in different languages. Quelle surprise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by godd
Yes.

Nope. A frenchy and an englishman can both measure 470nm as the wavelength for blue light. It is the same thing, even though they have different words for it.
Reply 84
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Nope. A frenchy and an englishman can both measure 470nm as the wavelength for blue light. It is the same thing, even though they have different words for it.

I think Godd has a point.

Knowledge can also be knowing the name of an object in different languages.
Original post by queensboy

F = ma is the same everywhere no matter how it is written :facepalm:

Sure intepretations could be different. But objective facts are not.
Reply 86
Original post by godd
What beggars belief is that you think a french biologist and an english biologist possess EXACTLY the same knowledge of biology when one doesn't know what the parts of an animal cell are called in french and the other doesn't know what the parts of an animal cell are called in english.

https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en#en/fr/enzyme%0Acytoplasm%0Acell%20membrane

Most scientific terms are easily translatable. If you say the word 'enzyme' with a french accent, you've just said the word enzyme in French.

Of course your knowledge is different. Just like how the morning star and the evening star are different- they're different words aren't they?
Reply 87

That is a type of knowledge. It is not scientific knowledge, it is linguistic. You are talking about being able to translate.

If a French engineer can design an experiment and make the same prediction as an English engineer, then they have the same scientific knowledge.
Original post by godd
What beggars belief is that you think a french biologist and an english biologist possess EXACTLY the same knowledge of biology when one doesn't know what the parts of an animal cell are called in french and the other doesn't know what the parts of an animal cell are called in english.

It depends on your definition of 'knowledge of biology'. If by that you include differences of names for the same concept, then of course they have different 'knowledge of biology' - that is trivial. However such a definition is pointless because the real question anyone cares to know the answer to is 'does being taught in a different language influence your understanding of biological concepts' - that is what the OP was alluding to in one of his early posts but gave up after being told it was implausible, only to make this horrific pseudo-intellectual argument predicated on a trivially self-evident (and hence useless) definition.

Hence it beggars belief that you feel that what you're posting is even worth posting at all when it is essentially a tautological statement.
Reply 89
Original post by lerjj
That is a type of knowledge. It is not scientific knowledge, it is linguistic. You are talking about being able to translate.

If a French engineer can design an experiment and make the same prediction as an English engineer, then they have the same scientific knowledge.

It's still knowledge though.

Your overall knowledge of biology composes of concepts in biology and labels attached to those concepts, like godd said. You can't say the french and english engineer possess exactly the same knowledge, they possess exactly the same concepts but their linguistic knowledge is different. If that makes sense, lol.
Reply 90
It's still knowledge though.

Your overall knowledge of biology composes of concepts in biology and labels attached to those concepts, like godd said. You can't say the french and english engineer possess exactly the same knowledge, they possess exactly the same concepts but their linguistic knowledge is different. If that makes sense, lol.

What the know about biology is the same
The way they think is different, and then presumably the way they write papers is a little different as well.

Your overall knowledge consists of concepts with suggestively named LISP tokens attached to them. The tokens don't mean anything themselves, they are just code. You could decide to respell every word you know with an 'a' at the front. Ait adoesn't achange awhat ayou aknow ait ajust amakes ayou alook aa alittle apeculiar.
Reply 91
Original post by lerjj
What the know about biology is the same
The way they think is different, and then presumably the way they write papers is a little different as well.

Your overall knowledge consists of concepts with suggestively named LISP tokens attached to them. The tokens don't mean anything themselves, they are just code. You could decide to respell every word you know with an 'a' at the front. Ait adoesn't achange awhat ayou aknow ait ajust amakes ayou alook aa alittle apeculiar.

We all agree that the concepts are the shared aspects. No one is denying that.

What Godd and I are arguing is that with concepts, you attach language labels. They are different across languages. Hence that is why you can answer a biology exam in english but can't answer the same biology exam in french.
Reply 92
We all agree that the concepts are the shared aspects. No one is denying that.

What Godd and I are arguing is that with concepts, you attach language labels. They are different across languages. Hence that is why you can answer a biology exam in english but can't answer the same biology exam in french.

You probably could if it were multiple choice, or mainly diagrammatic.

You almost certainly could if you were given a translator, even one with no knowledge of biology. And you would both make the same accuracy of predictions regardless of language, so you'd be regarded as holding the same state of scientific knowledge.
Reply 93
Original post by lerjj
You probably could if it were multiple choice, or mainly diagrammatic.

You almost certainly could if you were given a translator, even one with no knowledge of biology. And you would both make the same accuracy of predictions regardless of language, so you'd be regarded as holding the same state of scientific knowledge.

Defining knowledge is very hard.

How do you define knowledge?
Reply 94
Defining knowledge is very hard.

How do you define knowledge?

The ability to make accurate predictions.

EDIT: as in, to model a scenario accurately requires knowledge. Since this is all knowledge is ever used for ultimately, this should be our metric- the detail and size our our map, and it's correspondence to the territory.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by lerjj
The ability to make accurate predictions.

EDIT: as in, to model a scenario accurately requires knowledge. Since this is all knowledge is ever used for ultimately, this should be our metric- the detail and size our our map, and it's correspondence to the territory.

So, after this debate, what is your verdict?

How would a student's knowledge of biology be different if one was taught using english as a medium of instruction and the other was taught using french as a medium of instruction?
Reply 96
So, after this debate, what is your verdict?

How would a student's knowledge of biology be different if one was taught using english as a medium of instruction and the other was taught using french as a medium of instruction?

Negligibly different. They would make almost entirely the same predictions ceteris paribus. They both model the world in the same way, and as such can be considered to have equivalent knowledge.

Would you consider the following expressions to be the same, or different:
4(3a+2a)and20a 4(3a+2a) \text{and} 20a
I would consider the English and French student's knowledge to differ by that quantity. If you consider them different, then you are simply defining things differently to me.
1)we know you and Godd are the same person

2)The knowledge of biology itself would not change. I have experienced both the French and British education system,whilst I had to adapt to the change in terminology and stuff,my knowledge of biology was the same
Reply 98
Original post by lerjj
Negligibly different. They would make almost entirely the same predictions ceteris paribus. They both model the world in the same way, and as such can be considered to have equivalent knowledge.

Would you consider the following expressions to be the same, or different:
4(3a+2a)and20a 4(3a+2a) \text{and} 20a
I would consider the English and French student's knowledge to differ by that quantity. If you consider them different, then you are simply defining things differently to me.

A french student has never heard of technical terms such as cell wall, cytoplasm, nucleus etc. They only know them in french. So unless they go to google translate, they have a slightly different knowledge to us linguistically. Concept wise no, linguistically yes.

This can apply to any subject. The first time you heard about the greenhouse effect was in year 7 I guess. The germans know this as the triebhauseffekt, no german would have been taught the term "greenhouse effect", such as no child in the UK is taught the term "triebhauseffekt".

I can't see how people can deny this doesn't mean your knowledge is different. The fact you don't know the word, just proves it.
Reply 99
Original post by itsRochana
1)we know you and Godd are the same person

2)The knowledge of biology itself would not change. I have experienced both the French and British education system,whilst I had to adapt to the change in terminology and stuff,my knowledge of biology was the same

How? There is a change in terminology? So your knowledge is different.

Though for yourself, you probably know both the french and english names for technical terms in biology. However the new terms you learn, you wouldn't know them in french.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending