The Student Room Group

Are 6-9 weeks sufficient to get A’s and an A*?

Are 6 weeks enough to get A’s in my year 1 MOCK AS examinations in Philosophy, Biology and English?
I currently get low B’s in English. I get grades ranging for A to D in Philosophy and D’s in Biology.
I know basic concepts in English, but I know hardly anything in Philosophy (mainly key concepts), and my knowledge in Biology is exceptional in some (very few) topics but lacking in others.

Also, I have real A-Level examinations in AQA Psychology in 9 weeks. I got a B in the last mock and that was from 1 night of cramming. (It was on schizophrenia, issues and debates and relationships). I’d like to get an A* in Psychology, mainly due to the fact I’ll be applying to university after I get the result, and would like to look like an able candidate.

I’m aware that it is entirely subjective of course. The ability to get grades in any given time span is largely subjective but I’d like to know your opinion and get an average. I know generally A* students do not ‘waste time’ asking such questions, but I guess I’m different and worried. I probably won’t achieve a top grade in A-Level Psychology unless I spend most of my waking moments revising.
(edited 6 years ago)
Have you tried online tutoring? Tutorful says that 1 in 4 students get some help. Might be worth a look.
Original post by Sciencehyderabad
Are 6 weeks enough to get A’s in my year 1 MOCK AS examinations in Philosophy, Biology and English?
I currently get low B’s in English. I get grades ranging for A to D in Philosophy and D’s in Biology.
I know basic concepts in English, but I know hardly anything in Philosophy (mainly key concepts), and my knowledge in Biology is exceptional in some (very few) topics but lacking in others.

Also, I have real A-Level examinations in AQA Psychology in 9 weeks. I got a B in the last mock and that was from 1 night of cramming. (It was on schizophrenia, issues and debates and relationships). I’d like to get an A* in Psychology, mainly due to the fact I’ll be applying to university after I get the result, and would like to look like an able candidate.

I’m aware that it is entirely subjective of course. The ability to get grades in any given time span is largely subjective but I’d like to know your opinion and get an average. I know generally A* students do not ‘waste time’ asking such questions, but I guess I’m different and worried. I probably won’t achieve a top grade in A-Level Psychology unless I spend most of my waking moments revising.

It depends where you are at, how fast a learner and how hard you work.
It is the time you have, so just do your best.
All you need to do is your best.
I would point out that between grades it isnt just about memory, but different approaches and the way you understand the material can distinguish a B form an A. Use the mark schemes and appreciate what they want.

Why does it matter? You should be trying your best no matter what we say? Not bothering to revise as hard if it's unrealistic to get those grades isn't the mentality you should have.

Im kinda in the same predicament and i think it depends on how quickly you can learn stuff sounds like ur quite good at cramming and how good your exam technique is.
Make sure you do a lot of work over the easter.

So, I definitely think it's possible, but it will need hard work, careful breaks and smart revision.
You'll definitely need to revise quite intensely for a while, but I stress the importance of taking regular and helpful breaks. Have one evening off where you do no revision, and take breaks every 25 or 50 minutes when revising.
Smart revision is very important. Identify why you got a D in certain exams, and revise in whichever way gets the information into your brain. And not just rote memorisation either! You need to fully understand the workings of your subjects, especially Biology.

Good luck!!
For Philosophy, write essays on whatever topic you'd like (not necessarily spec stuff; so say if you do animal suffering, you don't have to write about that) using the content. So if you're studying Mill, try to apply him to gender roles, or slavery, or free speech. Make sure you understand the content not just as a school subject, but as something you're genuinely interested in and you can bring up in a conversation you have with your friends. The same goes for Psychology and English Language I would say: try to think about what the effect is of what you're studying, on your day-to-day life and interactions. It will really shed new light on your whole essay-writing process. Biology I don't do or like as an A-Level, so I don't think I can help.

But to directly address the question, you absolutely have time. This Easter vacation will make or break your results: go to the library from 9 to 5 every single working day (maybe take the weekends off) and work solidly. Think about how crappy it will be if you mess up; this will serve as serious fuel when you're feeling unmotivated.

Again, the key here is to not think about it as school work -- think about it as an enriching activity, which, if done properly, it actually is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Why does it matter? You should be trying your best no matter what we say? Not bothering to revise as hard if it's unrealistic to get those grades isn't the mentality you should have.

I think this is just a student who is worried about not getting the grades they want, and in the hope of gaining some motivation and support has posted this, so that people can reassure them that it is possible to attain those grades.

So unless you have something positive to add and try to motivate them with your words, dont say anything.

You just sound salty and immature.

Back to what OP asked, yh it is certaintly possible to get those grades, now whether you will get those grades or not depend purely on you.
It is possible on a objective note, but can you do it? i dont know, and neither do you, and the only way you find out is by giving it your all till the end of your exams in order to get the best results.
Reply 8
Yes It is enough time to get the grades you want.
People in my school have gone from a U to an A* in 6 weeks and it just requires hard work and determination.
If you are determined and you really want those grades then through hard work you will get it.
Flashcards, targeted topics, 45 mins work then 15 mins rest (repeat!), don't forget *exam technique* - a subject in itself.

A
do lots of papers then you will be familiar with the exam. In English, practice and writing notes is the best way. It is possible when you put the work in.
AQA Biology? I would say yes but you need to put in alot of work!!!
Don't know about English or psychology but biology is extremely hard to get top grades in - especially with new disgusting A Level papers. You must know all the content thoroughly, and you have to know how to apply your knowledge to some really unexpected scenarios (they literally think of the weirdest rubbish). Unless you have time to go over all content and practice past papers (old and new spec), it's unlikely you'll get an A - so really focus on it. Or you might be lucky and have really low grade boundaries - but they probably still won't be as low as the first year to sit the reforms because you have more exam papers to use.
I did AQA Biology last year. For Biology, the best way to go about it is by memorising everything and then practising tons of past papers to help with the application side of it.
I've published my notes with summaries of every topic. You might find it helpful for your revision to use them.

Here's the notes for all the year 1 content:
https://lifeofamedic.com/2018/03/21/alevel-biology-summary-notes-year1/
The next best time is now! Focus, put the efforts, and you can achieve what you want to achieve. All what it requires is true well and dedication. The only thing in your way is you.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSWXzAnVe0
edited

(edited 3 years ago)
To anyone that happens to stumble upon this thread: I ended up getting BCC at A-Level. I studied BSc Biological Sciences and graduated with a First Class Honours. I was then accepted onto a postgraduate degree (LLM in Medical Law and Ethics) at a QS ranked world top 20 university. My current career plans are to work in clinical negligence as a solicitor.

Quick Reply

Latest