The Student Room Group

English & History BA - application concerns

For my 4th AS I got a U (Philosophy). For obvious reasons, I dropped that subject and carried on with Lit, History and Politics (achieved 3 B's for those). I hope to get predicted AAB at the least for uni (the B in History cos IDK if I could get that A lol).

I was wondering how much that U can affect my application when applying to, say, prestigious universities (i.e. Russel Group)...and what I should/could do about it?

Other than that, I would also be grateful for any info on what English and History is like at university from people that actually do this course, especially doing a joint course n'all...and even perhaps where I should apply? (Thinking Leicester and Sheffield for 2/5 options...)

Thank you!!! :biggrin:
Original post by RadicalRads
For my 4th AS I got a U (Philosophy). For obvious reasons, I dropped that subject and carried on with Lit, History and Politics (achieved 3 B's for those). I hope to get predicted AAB at the least for uni (the B in History cos IDK if I could get that A lol).

I was wondering how much that U can affect my application when applying to, say, prestigious universities (i.e. Russel Group)...and what I should/could do about it?

Other than that, I would also be grateful for any info on what English and History is like at university from people that actually do this course, especially doing a joint course n'all...and even perhaps where I should apply? (Thinking Leicester and Sheffield for 2/5 options...)

Thank you!!! :biggrin:

They are unlikely to be much bothered about it if you meet the entry requirements in your other three subjects. That said, English and History are two of the most over-subscribed subjects there are, so make sure you have a spread of universities. Don't put all your eggs in the RG basket. Certainly DO NOT put anything about it in your ps, which must be a positive statement about the future, not a look back to the past.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
They are unlikely to be much bothered about it if you meet the entry requirements in your other three subjects. That said, English and History are two of the most over-subscribed subjects there are, so make sure you have a spread of universities. Don't put all your eggs in the RG basket. Certainly DO NOT put anything about it in your ps, which must be a positive statement about the future, not a look back to the past.

Ahh so I shouldn't mention anything about it at all in the PS? Even if I don't mention the grade but how it relates to the course?
Ahh so I shouldn't mention anything about it at all in the PS? Even if I don't mention the grade but how it relates to the course?

Don't talk about ANY of your A levels. Every person who studies those subjects learns the same things. Admissions tutors know what those things are. None of it makes you in any way unique. Talk about the future course and your interest in it, and certainly not subjects you are dropping.
Reply 4
Don't talk about ANY of your A levels. Every person who studies those subjects learns the same things. Admissions tutors know what those things are. None of it makes you in any way unique. Talk about the future course and your interest in it, and certainly not subjects you are dropping.

So even a few lines explaining how Politics has helped my studies in History and English shouldn't be mentioned? Wow, gonna have to get rid of a chunk in this personal statement then LOL!
So even a few lines explaining how Politics has helped my studies in History and English shouldn't be mentioned? Wow, gonna have to get rid of a chunk in this personal statement then LOL!

When you are applying for joint honours especially, space is tight, so anything which is not about the course needs to go. None of the admissions tutors will be teaching you politics. They don't care what you did/think/feel about it; only their subject matters.

Writing a ps is all about drafting. Use the ps builder tool:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_help

and be really strict with yourself. It's not an autobiography, it's an application for a course, so they don't need a massive backstory. Just put in why you want to study this course, now. Answer the two questions, 'Why this course?' and 'Why me?'
Reply 6
When you are applying for joint honours especially, space is tight, so anything which is not about the course needs to go. None of the admissions tutors will be teaching you politics. They don't care what you did/think/feel about it; only their subject matters.

Writing a ps is all about drafting. Use the ps builder tool:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_help

and be really strict with yourself. It's not an autobiography, it's an application for a course, so they don't need a massive backstory. Just put in why you want to study this course, now. Answer the two questions, 'Why this course?' and 'Why me?'

Okay thank you, this is actually lot tougher than I thought it would be!
Okay thank you, this is actually lot tougher than I thought it would be!

:sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending