The Student Room Group

Why are men always downtrodden and 'henpecked'?

Why are shy and intelligent men always manipulated and told what to do by their wife? I know a lot of older couples whose relationship is really poor because the man is downtrodden and henpecked. It's like he has a family, a large house, but can't do what he wants to do in case he upsets his controlling and demanding wife.

Maybe a lot of your parents are like it. Does your dad do all the cooking and driving, while your mum sits back and does half as less work than he does?

This thought really scares me. Is this what most relationships turn into? One in which the man is oppressed and the woman treated like a queen...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd cook and drive for eternity without a problem if it meant she dealt with the kids and did the cleaning/washing etc. Seems like a good deal.
In my family it's the complete opposite, though my parents both work, my mum is also expected to keep the house clean and look after the kids and have dinner cooked for them every night.
Reply 3
Original post by Odd socks
In my family it's the complete opposite, though my parents both work, my mum is also expected to keep the house clean and look after the kids and have dinner cooked for them every night.

And if she doesn't do them?
Original post by kka25
And if she doesn't do them?

Well years ago my dad was a much more angry person and he'd have got pissed off and probably shouted at her, these days he's mellowed out a bit so he'd still be annoyed but wouldn't be as aggressive. He'd just moan and say that it's not difficult and he doesn't understand why she can't manage it and make her feel bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well years ago my dad was a much more angry person and he'd have got pissed off and probably shouted at her, these days he's mellowed out a bit so he'd still be annoyed but wouldn't be as aggressive. He'd just moan and say that it's not difficult and he doesn't understand why she can't manage it and make her feel bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw, you got in with a serious response before I could get in with a tongue in cheek one about punishment et al :p:
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

By the looks of things, you're on your mom's side.
Original post by samba
Aw, you got in with a serious response before I could get in with a tongue in cheek one about punishment et al :p:

Haha sorry :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

You will be :p:

(there, got it in kinda!)
Original post by kka25
By the looks of things, you're on your mom's side.

Of course I am. It's unfair that she has all of the responsibility of running the household put upon her. I see the effects of the pressure she feels under, she struggles with depression and anxiety and I feel helpless.

Though I love my dad he does and says a lot of things I don't agree with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Of course I am. It's unfair that she has all of the responsibility of running the household put upon her. I see the effects of the pressure she feels under, she struggles with depression and anxiety and I feel helpless.

Though I love my dad he does and says a lot of things I don't agree with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming your dad is the sole breadwinner then?
What country are you from OP?
Because vagina feels nice around your dick. That's the bottom line. If that reason didn't exist, none of this would be going on.
Original post by kka25
I'm assuming your dad is the sole breadwinner then?

Nope my parents both work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
relationships only work out balanced if there is sufficient
rational communication between the two parties. The reason
why some men are downtrodden is because they lack basic
communication withtheir other half..
Well in my parent's household my mum does 80% of the work, same as most of the rest of my family's houses when I come to think of it.

I don't think what you've said is a trend at all.
Reply 16
Nope my parents both work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who makes more and who has the greater stress level?
Original post by kka25
Who makes more and who has the greater stress level?

Why are you interrogating me? I just responded to the OP's question with the fact that not every family is like that.

Also I don't know about you but in my family my parents don't tell me and my siblings the details of their earnings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you interrogating me? I just responded to the OP's question with the fact that not every family is like that.

Also I don't know about you but in my family my parents don't tell me and my siblings the details of their earnings

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is relevant. If I had a job that was 100x more stressful than my partner and had a salary of 3x that of my partner, I would be disappointed if she expected us to do 50% of the housework each.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not; what you posted here is completely relevant to the OP; ATM, I feel that it's unfair to criticise one partner over the other if one doesn't know the full story.

Quick Reply

Latest