The Student Room Group

What are the advantages of A RUSSELL GROUP UNI?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
Nothing at all......

As an undergraduate, being in a Russell Group University means absolutely nothing, its simply a lobby group of the top research universities seeking more funding. Research stuff only comes into play if you are doing Masters or PHd, sometimes your dissertation/project in final year.

Actually.. Yes

There are a few large corporates who hire entirely from ex polys, because RG's can be more research based, and not industry driven

I mean for our course, the vast majority of the graduates who go to work, go to work at the large corporates. Amazon, for instance only recruit from our university (for the role) than any other university, in Europe...
Original post by de_monies
Actually.. Yes

There are a few large corporates who hire entirely from ex polys, because RG's can be more research based, and not industry driven

I mean for our course, the vast majority of the graduates who go to work, go to work at the large corporates. Amazon, for instance only recruit from our university (for the role) than any other university, in Europe...

Well to be fair, RG doesn't define these universities which are always targeted, there are quite a few that are not in RG.

Another thing people forget is the degree alone doesn't get you the job, a lot of people fail to recognise this. I personally think RG isn't that special and doesn't truely have any recognition, as industries, etc already have their bias since decades before through employment history, etc
Original post by Iqbal007
Well to be fair, RG doesn't define these universities which are always targeted, there are quite a few that are not in RG.

Another thing people forget is the degree alone doesn't get you the job, a lot of people fail to recognise this. I personally think RG isn't that special and doesn't truely have any recognition, as industries, etc already have their bias since decades before through employment history, etc

This. Definitely this. Elitism is a bigger issue at RG uni's and employers arent very fond of that..
Original post by Eboracum
I'm a third year at an RG (my name is the clue). I will list some advantages/disadvantages and try to deliver a balanced approach:

- You'll work with some of the top academics in the world. Many of my lecturers have PHDs from Oxford/Cambridge and have held research positions at world class universities, including Ivy League institutions.

- You'll receive a fantastic education and you'll find it academically stimulating.

- A big plus nobody has mentioned is Study Abroad links. Many universities today offer students the chance to Study Abroad, but a general rule is the better the UK university, the better the Study Abroad links. I spent a year of my degree at the oldest university in Australia, incidentally, the one the current PM studied at. I could also have opted for Columbia or UPenn.

- Prestige is certainly a factor. On TSR being at a Russell or even Oxford seems to be the norm, but outside of the TSR world, in a world with over 120 universities and many many people who haven't been to university it will hold some clout.

- You'll find that many people go on to fantastic things after: postgraduate study or top careers. For example I did some work experience at the Civil Service and every graduate I spoke to bar one was from a Russell university (none from Oxbridge surprisingly).

I dunno. The only real advantages I would say are the differences in funding and, at postgraduate and doctorate level study, the expertise of the staff. You get very good links and teaching at non-RG universities.
Expertise can't really be harnessed by undergrad students, as the course is only introductory. Seems like a fairly good advantage at doctorate level though.

Prestige doesn't really hold much weight for me. As a student at undergraduate level, other factors such as work experience holds substantially more weight. Also if you're an academic, then it is your publications that matter most in determining success (I hear - albeit affected by funding of the university).

Also, as the grades for non-RG universities has increased and are more selective, surely this mitigates the prestige factor somewhat in the eyes of employers (except that non-RG's do have courses that are somewhat easier to gain entry to).

At Sheffield Hallam (being from Sheffield), the only problem I have with my university is that the union seems to be to be terribly lacking. Support has been first class though. I wouldn't expect any more from a good RG university.

As someone who comes from an uneducated family background - I honestly wouldn't at all feel at home with snobbish people that you say you sometimes met during your RG experiences.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a third year at an RG (my name is the clue). I will list some advantages/disadvantages and try to deliver a balanced approach:

- You'll work with some of the top academics in the world. Many of my lecturers have PHDs from Oxford/Cambridge and have held research positions at world class universities, including Ivy League institutions.

- You'll receive a fantastic education and you'll find it academically stimulating.

- A big plus nobody has mentioned is Study Abroad links. Many universities today offer students the chance to Study Abroad, but a general rule is the better the UK university, the better the Study Abroad links. I spent a year of my degree at the oldest university in Australia, incidentally, the one the current PM studied at. I could also have opted for Columbia or UPenn.

- Prestige is certainly a factor. On TSR being at a Russell or even Oxford seems to be the norm, but outside of the TSR world, in a world with over 120 universities and many many people who haven't been to university it will hold some clout.

- You'll find that many people go on to fantastic things after: postgraduate study or top careers. For example I did some work experience at the Civil Service and every graduate I spoke to bar one was from a Russell university (none from Oxbridge surprisingly).

Whilst all these things do apply to RG unis, they are not exclusively RG characteristics.

I go to Sussex (not RG but currently 14th in UK according to THE, above a lot of RG unis) and I can say all of the above apply to my experience.

A number of the professors in my department have come from Oxbridge.

I, personally, find it very academically stimulating.

Sussex has amazing study abroad links with connections to over 100 universities worldwide (including some Ivy League schools).

I know a number of recent Sussex grads who have gone on to do post grads at other great places, including Oxbridge.

I am not trying to disparage the RG, just point out that there are good universities outside it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by august1994
Whilst all these things do apply to RG unis, they are not exclusively RG characteristics.

I go to Sussex (not RG but currently 14th in UK according to THE, above a lot of RG unis) and I can say all of the above apply to my experience.

A number of the professors in my department have come from Oxbridge.

I, personally, find it very academically stimulating.

Sussex has amazing study abroad links with connections to over 100 universities worldwide (including some Ivy League schools).

I know a number of recent Sussex grads who have gone on to do post grads at other great places, including Oxbridge.

I am not trying to disparage the RG, just point out that there are good universities outside it.

I would accept most of this yes. There are clearly some very good non-Russell Group universities. When I joined my uni it was not in the Russell Group, it only joined whilst I was here. St. Andrews would probably be regarded as the best non-Russell Group. The Russell Group has been criticised by the 1994 group for swallowing up some of it's universities, which is a fair point.

I'm never sure how useful rankings are, because they fluctuate and students tend to quote the rating that favours their university the best. For example I could argue that Sussex is 38th in the 2015 Complete University Guide, behind universities like Heriot-Watt. But again, perhaps not a very helpful league table, as it puts King's College and Bristol more than 10 places below Lancaster and Surrey, which, is clearly madness. I'd think that the former two are better and have stronger reputations regardless of any league table. Anyway I'm waffling. Best of luck with your studies.
Original post by hellodave5

Expertise can't really be harnessed by undergrad students, as the course is only introductory. Seems like a fairly good advantage at doctorate level though.

Prestige doesn't really hold much weight for me. As a student at undergraduate level, other factors such as work experience holds substantially more weight. Also if you're an academic, then it is your publications that matter most in determining success (I hear - albeit affected by funding of the university).

Also, as the grades for non-RG universities has increased and are more selective, surely this mitigates the prestige factor somewhat in the eyes of employers (except that non-RG's do have courses that are somewhat easier to gain entry to).

At Sheffield Hallam (being from Sheffield), the only problem I have with my university is that the union seems to be to be terribly lacking. Support has been first class though. I wouldn't expect any more from a good RG university.

As someone who comes from an uneducated family background - I honestly wouldn't at all feel at home with snobbish people that you say you sometimes met during your RG experiences.

I'd say that I largely disagree with this. I think expertise absolutely can be gained from lecturers at undergraduate level, even in first year by way of one on one feedback. I've had many a private chat with lecturers in their offices and have learned a lot.

I'm not sure about your further two points either. I think prestige definitely still stands because of university level and how hard it is to gain that degree. For example it's far harder to gain a 2:1 or a 1st at a Russell Group university than a post-1992 university. A piece of work worth a 61 at an RG may be worth a 71 at a post-1992. And it absolutely is harder to get in as well, many courses would be AAA entry at RGs, that wouldn't be the case at other universities.

But we find some common ground on your final point, some of the people on my course seem to be from another planet. More annoying are the ones that aren't that good, they are just here because they went to a good school.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Is Surrey a RG? It always seems quite high on the league tables? Has it got a good reputation?
I'd say that I largely disagree with this. I think expertise absolutely can be gained from lecturers at undergraduate level, even in first year by way of one on one feedback. I've had many a private chat with lecturers in their offices and have learned a lot.

I'm not sure about your further two points either. I think prestige definitely still stands because of university level and how hard it is to gain that degree. For example it's far harder to gain a 2:1 or a 1st at a Russell Group university than a post-1992 university. A piece of work worth a 61 at an RG may be worth a 71 at a post-1992. And it absolutely is harder to get in as well, many courses would be AAA entry at RGs, that wouldn't be the case at other universities.

But we find some common ground on your final point, some of the people on my course seem to be from another planet. More annoying are the ones that aren't that good, they are just here because they went to a good school.

Thanks for the reply!

Common ground :biggrin: (not often acknowledged on here!)
I really do appreciate how down to earth everyone at my uni is. I'm picking tentative doctorate level universities sort of based on perceived snobbery lol.

It's good that you were able to gain from the lecturers early on from private feedback! I imagine that is useful.
Though I'm not sure how a lecturer from a RG who has been extremely successful will differ that much from one that has been very successful at a non-RG uni with the amount of advice they could offer an undergrad. I thought there would be much of a difference when advising doctorate level students, and maybe possibly at MSc level. You do also get RG uni lecturers moving to non-RG and vice versa.

About your point regarding it more difficult at RG universities: It is one I find quite interesting.
I have only really heard anecdotal evidence for this really. I remember looking at one report a long time ago and questioning that assertion. Is there any proof of it in journal articles? There are also governing bodies and external checks to 'homogenise' grading between universities?

I agree with your point about prestige through entry in that you (or the employer) knows that a RG is hard to get into just by the name ('I got into here, so I'm academic') - but I do wonder if's importance is decreasing as many courses are now (in non-RG) are at least BBB or similar. Also guessing that it varies massively by course - with more variation at non-RG in both courses and entry.
Reply 29

But equally, there are a few disadvantages you have to be aware of

- You'll meet a lot of snobs, elitist posh people etc. On my course you've got somebody who's Dad was in the cabinet, somebody else whose Dad was on the board at Deloitte, people from aristocratic families, people that went to Eton etc. So if you're from a humble working or lower-middle class background, it can be overwhelming. Also there is an 'entitlement culture' at these universities. I've heard people saying they 'won't accept anything less than a 30k starting salary' etc.

- The big one for me was you go from being a big fish in a small pond, to being a little fish in a big pond. You'll arrive probably with several A grades at A Level/GCSE thinking it will be a breeze and you'll realise that's the bare minimum expected. You'll also get frustrated. My first essay I got a Third, and second I got a high 2:2. I just wasn't use to it after I'd regularly get 95+ in A Level exams. I didn't really like that, but you'll progress and start to get better grades. Bare this in mind. For me I'd rather dominate League 2 than be bottom of the Premiership. Or as Caesar said "I'd rather be first in command in the village than second in the empire".

On balance I think if you can, it is worth it, because there is a big difference between the uni I'm at and the post-1992 university across town, but ultimately you need to decide what is best for you and try not to be drawn into the university snobbery, which is a specific problem in first year.

Best of luck.

Not convinced St. Andrews is the #3 university in the country. You could argue LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham, Warwick and several others are all better. It's all subjective anyway, no one legal table is definitive.

I like the snob point you made cos that seems to hold true. Also RG unis generally have exams that are harder "according" to TSR. idk if that is true or not but the prestige is the main reason they are considered better than others.
Original post by JAHW
Is Surrey a RG? It always seems quite high on the league tables? Has it got a good reputation?

Surrey is not in the Russell Group (too small, too little research income, originally no medical school).

Surrey always flies high because of its employability stats. As sandwich courses become less common and less fashionable, Surrey has stuck resolutely to the idea of a placement year. The employability stats nationally for students who do a sandwich course have always been considerably better than for those who don't.
Reply 31

Prestige doesn't hold weight for you but it is very big for employers. I'm sure people would be more interested at an oxbridge graduates application than a non oxbridge one. Prestige has always been a big reason why some unis are better than others and it will continue to do so unless something drastic happens.
Original post by ETRC
Prestige doesn't hold weight for you but it is very big for employers. I'm sure people would be more interested at an oxbridge graduates application than a non oxbridge one. Prestige has always been a big reason why some unis are better than others and it will continue to do so unless something drastic happens.

I'm not all that sure about that.

For specific [upper class] organisations then I can imagine so. It helps to get you into interviews too. But as long as you have your 2.1, then work experience tends to be the defining factor.

If you get into interview I imagine that prestige has little contribution to the employment decision. The main thing then is how you present yourself as a person.

Though it would be unfair to use Oxbridge specifically as a comparison. They hold substantially more weight than normal RG universities. An Oxbridge graduate would be much more likely to get an interview if everything else was controlled for, yeah.
Original post by ETRC
Prestige doesn't hold weight for you but it is very big for employers.

No, I'm afraid it isn't.

Employers select on talent. There is some correlation between university attended and employment prospects because there are more people with talent at better universities than poorer ones.
Reply 34
Original post by nulli tertius
Surrey is not in the Russell Group (too small, too little research income, originally no medical school).

Surrey always flies high because of its employability stats. As sandwich courses become less common and less fashionable, Surrey has stuck resolutely to the idea of a placement year. The employability stats nationally for students who do a sandwich course have always been considerably better than for those who don't.

Thank you!
So, would I be at a disadvantage if I went to Surrey (to study law) as oppose to bristol or warwick (or any other RG university)?
Original post by JAHW
Thank you!
So, would I be at a disadvantage if I went to Surrey (to study law) as oppose to bristol or warwick (or any other RG university)?

This very much depends.

If your aim is to be a solicitor and to achieve that come what may; Surrey is a very good choice. As I understand it, the stats for getting a training contract with the firm where you have done a placement year are very good.

However, if you are saying that you want a training contract with one of the leading City firms or you will go off and do something else, then try and get into Bristol. Bristol will make you more competitive for a training contract with top city firms, though it would be a close run thing, I suspect, who actually gets more people into training contracts overall.
(edited 9 years ago)

It's good that you were able to gain from the lecturers early on from private feedback! I imagine that is useful.
Though I'm not sure how a lecturer from a RG who has been extremely successful will differ that much from one that has been very successful at a non-RG uni with the amount of advice they could offer an undergrad. I thought there would be much of a difference when advising doctorate level students, and maybe possibly at MSc level. You do also get RG uni lecturers moving to non-RG and vice versa.

About your point regarding it more difficult at RG universities: It is one I find quite interesting.
I have only really heard anecdotal evidence for this really. I remember looking at one report a long time ago and questioning that assertion. Is there any proof of it in journal articles? There are also governing bodies and external checks to 'homogenise' grading between universities?

I agree with your point about prestige through entry in that you (or the employer) knows that a RG is hard to get into just by the name ('I got into here, so I'm academic') - but I do wonder if's importance is decreasing as many courses are now (in non-RG) are at least BBB or similar. Also guessing that it varies massively by course - with more variation at non-RG in both courses and entry.

The key point is that cream floats to the top. The better the lecturer, the better the university he'll be at. And likewise for the student. That's not absolute, because some will slip through the net, but it's a basic principle in all areas of competition.

It simply goes without saying, that it is harder to get a 2:1/1st for an essay at a better university (one higher ranked, one with higher entry requirements etc.) than at a lower university. Because if the average A Level grades at say one university are A*AA, some of those are going to get 2:2s at the university. But in an university say where the average A Levels are BCC, most of those with A*AA could probably role in and get a high 2:1 quite easily. The idea that it's just as difficult to get a 2:1 at a post-1992 university is just absolute fantasy.

I think the prestige does still count. I've interned at both Parliament and the Civil Service and at both places everybody I met bar 1 person at each had Russell Group degrees. My friends have said the same about Law. Now that's not to say that not going to one holds anyone back, you could go on to do great things with a degree from anywhere. For example I know somebody who got a 2:1 from Keele and went to LSE for postgrad, but as a general rule, I'd argue that an average RG graduate will go on to do higher paid/most prestigious careers than a non-RG graduate, although as I said, that's not absolute. I know somebody else who got a 2:1 from Sheff Hallam and got on an energy industry grad scheme starting on about 35k, so ultimately it is about your character, just that the degree forms the basis of the CV and it becomes a case of what else have you got.
(edited 9 years ago)
The key point is that cream floats to the top. The better the lecturer, the better the university he'll be at. And likewise for the student. That's not absolute, because some will slip through the net, but it's a basic principle in all areas of competition.

It simply goes without saying, that it is harder to get a 2:1/1st for an essay at a better university (one higher ranked, one with higher entry requirements etc.) than at a lower university. Because if the average A Level grades at say one university are A*AA, some of those are going to get 2:2s at the university. But in an university say where the average A Levels are BCC, most of those with A*AA could probably role in and get a high 2:1 quite easily. The idea that it's just as difficult to get a 2:1 at a post-1992 university is just absolute fantasy.

I think the prestige does still count. I've interned at both Parliament and the Civil Service and at both places everybody I met bar 1 person at each had Russell Group degrees. My friends have said the same about Law. Now that's not to say that not going to one holds anyone back, you could go on to do great things with a degree from anywhere. For example I know somebody who got a 2:1 from Keele and went to LSE for postgrad, but as a general rule, I'd argue that an average RG graduate will go on to do higher paid/most prestigious careers than a non-RG graduate, although as I said, that's not absolute. I know somebody else who got a 2:1 from Sheff Hallam and got on an energy industry grad scheme starting on about 35k, so ultimately it is about your character, just that the degree forms the basis of the CV and it becomes a case of what else have you got.

Points taken regarding lecturers (though I feel it doesn't count for much at lower levels - to be a lecturer anywhere you have to be rather excellent at what you do) and prestige still counting somewhat as a rule but with exceptions.

What proof is there that some universities are more difficult than others to a significant degree?
Isn't that the point of external verification and governing bodies? I don't feel that it's the case of entry being lower/higher is very conclusive.

What proof is there that some universities are more difficult than others to a significant degree?
Isn't that the point of external verification and governing bodies? I don't feel that it's the case of entry being lower/higher is very conclusive.

You are not going to get an answer to this one. This is the VCs of Oxford and Brookes refusing to give a straight answer to this question.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmdius/170/9033004.htm

(The hidden sub-text of why Stringer chose history is that Brookes' history department had out-scored Oxford's in the Research Assessment Exercise)

I'm not really sure. I'd just take it as a given. I think the A Level point is a good one, but just basic evolutionary common sense would indicate that surely it's harder to get the higher marks at a better university?

So are you suggesting that if you submitted a piece of work and it was awarded 67 at say Leeds Met, you think it would also get 67 at Leeds? I'd have thought it would have been closer 57.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending