The Student Room Group

Researches

I've applied for A100 course at Imperial College, King's college, Queen Mary University and University of Southampton.
Just to prepare for interviews (if I get offered that is :tongue:), I was trying to look for which area of medicine each one is well known for?
Original post by brian.jeon
I've applied for A100 course at Imperial College, King's college, Queen Mary University and University of Southampton.
Just to prepare for interviews (if I get offered that is :tongue:), I was trying to look for which area of medicine each one is well known for?

If you go on the website for each of the Universities they will tell you which hospitals they send students to. From there you can access the websites for each hospital which will often state what specialty they're best known for.
Reply 2
Original post by brian.jeon

It really doesn't matter. They will all teach you broadly the same curriculum and it's pointless lying to say you're interested in a certain specialty because you think it'll get you in. Do research, by all means, but you want to find out about the strengths of the university and the course, not picking random specialties.
Original post by Helenia
It really doesn't matter. They will all teach you broadly the same curriculum and it's pointless lying to say you're interested in a certain specialty because you think it'll get you in. Do research, by all means, but you want to find out about the strengths of the university and the course, not picking random specialties.

I think it's still good interview prep to know. If you can say "of course I want to come to this university, where Dr X did the first Y in the 20th century" it'll look better than someone who's not learnt anything about that school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by curtis110
I think it's still good interview prep to know. If you can say "of course I want to come to this university, where Dr X did the first Y in the 20th century" it'll look better than someone who's not learnt anything about that school

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true but I think its probably more relevant to talk about the curriculum. Also, don't declare what specialty you are interested in at an interview. They will want a why? and if your answer isn't as good as someone who is a medical student (trust me it wont' be) it might hurt your chances.

People change their minds and usually what you think is the right specialty is based on preconceptions usually not from good sources like the TV, TV shows, what you hear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending