The Student Room Group

Nail Varnish for Guys

Hi.

I seem to remember reading in a fashion magazine about a range of nail varnish aimed at men. It was called Male Varnish, or something like that.

Does anyone know if it actually exists, or where I can buy it?

Scroll to see replies

WHAT???? Why the fish would a GUY want to waer nail varnish? Eeeee man you are SO gay. :albertein:

Reminded me of this.
Reply 3
So, I guess that's a no then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
wtf??? nail varnish for guys, what kind of **** is this?
I'm not sure why you can't use regular nail varnish?
Reply 6
Original post by purplebricks
I'm not sure why you can't use regular nail varnish?

I'm tempted to try that. What's a good brand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy182

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well any brand is fine as long as it isn't something too cheap. With the cheaper nail varnish's you usually have to do multiple coats of varnish as you can usually still see the nail underneath. If it's a little more expensive then usually it's not like that. I'd say it's a pretty worthwhile investment. You can buy some from superdrug, but if you don't want to be seen buying it then you can just get it online (:
Hope that helped.
Reply 8
:facepalm:
As far as cheaper nail varnish goes, I'd recommend Rimmel London's nail varnish range 100%. You can get a great range of colours for around the £3 mark, and I've never had a bad experience with them. They go on well and come off easy, etc.

If you want to go for more premium brands later, just ask because I've tried a lot of nail varnishes, haha.

Also ignore the people telling you not to. My cousin wore nail varnish for ages (especially dark colours), and not only was it not weird, it suited him.
Original post by TheBBQ
:facepalm:
my thoughts exactly :tongue:
"male varnish" haha

Just use a female nail varnish in the colour you want. If you're secure enough to wear nail varnish, using a girl's nail varnish shouldn't be too big a deal. No One would know anyway. What kind of look are you going for just out of curiosity? Never seen guys wear nail varnish that weren't like goth/emo.

Barry M have a good range of colours/styles. I always get them but I'm no expert
Reply 12
Original post by beckaroo7
"male varnish" haha

Just use a female nail varnish in the colour you want. If you're secure enough to wear nail varnish, using a girl's nail varnish shouldn't be too big a deal. No One would know anyway. What kind of look are you going for just out of curiosity? Never seen guys wear nail varnish that weren't like goth/emo.

Barry M have a good range of colours/styles. I always get them but I'm no expert

In terms of look, I like darker colours such as brown or green. I also like metallic colours, especially the ones with a magnetic special effect such add the Nails Inc ones.

I guess I'll just go for a regular girls nail varnish. That'll make things easier then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I second the Barry M motion!
Original post by Andy182
In terms of look, I like darker colours such as brown or green. I also like metallic colours, especially the ones with a magnetic special effect such add the Nails Inc ones.

I guess I'll just go for a regular girls nail varnish. That'll make things easier then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good. Barry M do loads of metallic, matt and special effects ones. Can't leave boots without buying a nail varnish :smile:
Original post by Andy182

Posted from TSR Mobile

The two brands I would recommend most are Barry M and Essie.

Barry M have a really wide range of colours and effects, probably the most out of all of the brands I have seen. They are also reasonably priced, being £3-4. The formula isn't bad, a lot of them go on in one coat and the colours are true to the bottle. However, they aren't the best quality and do chip after a couple of days.

Essie is my absolute all time favorite. The colours are really brilliant, but there isn't as wide a range in UK stores compared to Barry M. I believe Boots and Superdrug carry about 80 out of the total amount of polishes. You can get more on the actual Essie website. It was orignally a salon brand in the US, but Boots and Superdrug have a line with some selected colours with an improved formula and a really fantastic wide brush that makes it so easy to apply. The colours last for 7 days in some cases without chipping, but they do cost a bit more at £8 each.
Whatever floats your boat lol.
I agree with Barry M, love their colours. Also invest in good nail polish remover!
Reply 18
Original post by oswalds
The two brands I would recommend most are Barry M and Essie.

Barry M have a really wide range of colours and effects, probably the most out of all of the brands I have seen. They are also reasonably priced, being £3-4. The formula isn't bad, a lot of them go on in one coat and the colours are true to the bottle. However, they aren't the best quality and do chip after a couple of days.

Essie is my absolute all time favorite. The colours are really brilliant, but there isn't as wide a range in UK stores compared to Barry M. I believe Boots and Superdrug carry about 80 out of the total amount of polishes. You can get more on the actual Essie website. It was orignally a salon brand in the US, but Boots and Superdrug have a line with some selected colours with an improved formula and a really fantastic wide brush that makes it so easy to apply. The colours last for 7 days in some cases without chipping, but they do cost a bit more at £8 each.

I'm just checking out the Essie website now. The colours look amazing, really deep and they look almost like a gel/shellac type finish.

I like the idea of them being easy to apply too. It looks like I'm going to need a lot of practice.

I'm going to invest in some Barry M too, just because of the high number of recommendations that it has had on here.
Reply 19
Original post by lyrical_lie
I agree with Barry M, love their colours. Also invest in good nail polish remover!

Ha ha. The stuff that I got makes me sneeze, so it must be good.

Quick Reply

Latest