The Student Room Group

Is the French Foreign Legion as good as the British army?

I've been dumped by my girlfriend and its excruciating. I feel suicidal now :frown: and i really want to leave my home and start over again. The French Foreign legion is one thing that is on my mind. Are those guys tougher than the ones in the British army?
Reply 1
Original post by HucktheForde
I've been dumped by my girlfriend and its excruciating. I feel suicidal now :frown: and i really want to leave my home and start over again. The French Foreign legion is one thing that is on my mind. Are those guys tougher than the ones in the British army?

Mate, in the spirit of Christmas and trying to help rather than providing facetious comments, have a look at this site

Seems like a good deal if you're trying to escape your current circumstances, although I'm a bit surprised that running away to the Foreign Legion is the answer to splitting up from your girlfriend. A tad extreme to be honest.

Sorry to hear that this one didn't work out, but we've all been there and it's part of growing up and learning about what works in relationships and what doesn't. If I'd run off to join the FFL every time I changed g/f s I'd be an Adjudant-chef by now! Nearest I got to them was rescuing a pal who got into a wee scuffle with a couple of 'squaddies' outside the barracks in Marseille! To be fair he was being a buffoon, but it could have all gone Pete Tong if he'd been solo.

Best of luck buddy, but might be better to sit down with a pal, have a nice cup of tea, and talk through your problems. The FFL solution is an initial 5 year commitment, so probably a last resort to this current issue. Take care mate, and think about it carefully.

PS Not sure anyone on TSR has experienced life in the UK Green Army and life in the FFL, so you're unlikely to get any sensible answers to your request for a comparison!
I'd definitely say the FL is a bit extreme. Plus, who wants to work with all those French people anyway? I've worked with the FL, it's not the option. If you're really considering a career in the military get to your local AFCO and speak to someone in there. But please don't tell them it's to get away from a girl, I'm afraid you may not be taken too seriously.

As the last poster mentioned, give it a couple of weeks and you may find that's it's not a big a deal as you thought. After 8 years in the military I've been through a few break ups, give it a bit of time and revaluate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Foreign Legion, mate seriously?

Like others have said; get yourself down to your local Army Careers office and have a chin wag. Want a challenge, get yourself piped up for the paras.

You'll never look back.

Quick Reply

Latest