The Student Room Group

Do you ever have any sympathy for criminals?

If so, who?

Scroll to see replies

No I don't. Anyone who isn't me is someone I do not care for. I am the Master.
Yes.
To some extent
Those who steal, sometimes. Those who physically harm people, never
Reply 5
Original post by bertstare
Those who physically harm people, never

So no matter what reason someone has to physically harm another person, you would not have any sympathy toward them under any circumstances?
Original post by lent6
So no matter what reason someone has to physically harm another person, you would not have any sympathy toward them under any circumstances?

Of course if we are talking about something like self defense, then it's an entirely different story. There would be no need to feel sympathy for them because what they did was entirely justified. But in cases of random violent acts towards innocent people, no I can't think of a single reason to feel sorry for the scum who did it
Reply 7
Depends on the crime.
Of course I do. It's not their fault they're mentally not all there.
scum. "ooh look at me and my criminal lifestyle"
Original post by TorpidPhil

lmao 10/10 would laugh again

Are you serious?

People like you need locking up.
lmao 10/10 would laugh again

You feel no sympathy for the mentally ill?
Original post by Master Jack
Are you serious?

People like you need locking up.

I'm sorry what?

Did I say something that I didn't realise I said?
Yes. I feel very sorry for many those on drug possession offences.
You feel no sympathy for the mentally ill?

Where do you draw the line?

If a mentally ill person is aggressive and a danger to another person they deserve to be locked up. I'll feel no sympathy.

Anyone can plead insanity to get a shot at clemency but really I see it as black and white.
Original post by Master Jack
Where do you draw the line?

If a mentally ill person is aggressive and a danger to another person they deserve to be locked up. I'll feel no sympathy.

Anyone can plead insanity to get a shot at clemency but really I see it as black and white.

I never said we shouldn't lock them up just because they're nuts! I just said I feel sympathy for them jeez. Of course we should still lock them up.

If there a hypothetical person who always meant to do good but in doing so always end up doing terrible things then we should lock them up immediately and for life. I'de still pity their scenario though.
Original post by the bear
scum. "ooh look at me and my criminal lifestyle"

Do you believe the fact that criminals are overwhelmingly from lower socioeconomic groups is evidence that people from poorer backgrounds more often have poor characters or that their environments are more likely to predispose them to criminal behaviour?
Yes.

Nobody chooses to be psychopathic; nobody chooses their decision-making ability.

That doesn't mean I don't think they need to be locked up - they do.
Those who steal, sometimes. Those who physically harm people, never

Like this one…

Quick Reply

Latest