The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The PPE mark range for example used to be 0-85, with marks between 1 and 29 inclusive not attainable. Seems very silly to me...
Reply 41
Isaiah Berlin
An 80 average in a collection is very, very impressive. I think I'd struggle to get an 80 if I wrote the questions in advance of the paper!

I've got an Engineer friend at Oxford who got an 86 and 93 for his most recent collections a few weeks ago...brilliant!
Reply 42
Nutter
I've got an Engineer friend at Oxford who got an 86 and 93 for his most recent collections a few weeks ago...brilliant!

That's extremely impressive, although I do think that sort of result would be much more difficult to get in an essay-based subject, simply because of the way they are marked.

The system does seem a bit counter-intuitive. Yesterday I sat an Ancient Egyptian language exam in which it should be perfectly possible to get 100% (as long as you get all your translations absolutely spot on). However, that sort of mark is just not attainable in "pure" history exams - I would be pretty happy if I got 70%+ in those. So, in theory, you could increase your chances of getting a first by dropping history modules in favour of language ones... Seems a bit odd.
Reply 43
More like 15-20 hours reading and a couple of hours to write it.
15-20 hours writing and couple of hours reading for me. (I'd say 3 hours procrastinating on the internet for every one hour actually typing into a document.)
Reply 44
gotta love their pleading ignorance

oxbridgeessays.com
We will never know what happens to your essay after it leaves our computers.

"we have absolutely no idea what you could possibly be purchasing our essays for!!" - classic stuff
Reply 45
Buying an essay off these sitesand submitting it is a very dangerous game to play. For one, you run the risk of getting disqualified if even 3/4 lines have been plagiarised. The worst thing about it is that you wouldn't even know which lines have been plagiarised,or if there had been any plagiarsm at all. All these sites say they run they run the strictest tests to ensure all work is original but how would you know, unless you've done the research yourself.
Forget moral duty, the fear of disqualification alone would put me off buying off these sites.
UCL sent round an email to all students and staff a little while back regarding this lot.

Apparently, they are in touch with the police about them being an unlawful business that appears to encourage or facilitate fraud while repeating that 'plagiarism = disqualified'
Reply 47
poohbear
I have been told that copying THREE WORDS without giving appropriate references and inserting the words in quotations marks can be considered plagiarism under the right circumstances.

Those circumstances are going to have to be very stringent (almost never invoked), because the likelihood that any 3 random words you type matches the exact phrase found elsewhere is, I dare say, provided your phrase makes sense, 100%. Either that, or your source is wrong.
Reply 48
Surely this is old news? There was a site called Essay Bank providing A Level and GCSE essays a long time ago - although their essays were from a stock pool, rather than custom written.

It was run by a guy in my college, who made quite a tidy profit from it if I remember correctly.

Edit: In fact, this site advertises on TSR! It charges £15 per year for access to over 15,000 stock essays. I don't know what guarantees it makes about quality, though - and I suppose that all it would take would be for one university to pay for a subscription and circulate the essays to everybody else, where they could be incorporated into a database which would scan for plagiarism.
Cexy
Edit: In fact, this site advertises on TSR!
Just flicking through the maths ones half of them are GCSE coursework or things you might do in 1st year.

Correlations between shoe size and height? Sounds like somethign you do in Yr 9, not undergraduate! Physics is a bit better but in many cases seem to be not much more thasn A Level or respouting of populat science books (in the case of the black hole and QM essays).
poohbear
I have been told that copying THREE WORDS without giving appropriate references and inserting the words in quotations marks can be considered plagiarism under the right circumstances.

Consider what has happened to Kaavya Viswanathan, the author of "“How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life” . She has lost a half million US dollar advance, a two book contract, a contract for a movie with Dreamworks and has to leave her place at Harvard because of plagiarism.

It's clear she copied more than three words here and there, no?
Reply 51
Some of her paragraphs were similar in expression to some of the other slopppy books that were out there and it is true that only very few words were outrightly plagiarised. The publishers though didn't notice and it was only those sad hardcore fans that drew similarities between Opal Mehta and the other wastes of paper and ink out there.

It is unfair of her to lose her place at Harvard as its not like she was plagiarising an essay or something, what she did plagiarise it could be said was totally unrelated to her undergraduate studies.

If you want to plagiarise do it well and do it from a masterpiece not the bloody princess diaries.
Reply 52
Indeed, after reading the wikipedia article there is an uncanny resemblance in imagery, sentence structure, and paragraph organization between Opal Mehta and all the other books. Shame on her! Although if i decided to write a book it is inevitable that some wise and wonderful words lurking in my sub-conscience written by others who i have since forgotten would creep in. And I would think such words were my own and born out of the workings of my own mind. My book would not be able to stand up to the scrutiny Vishnawathan's book has been subjected too. Thus, I think her plagiarism was unintended and inadvertant.
Reply 53
Epicurus
Indeed, after reading the wikipedia article there is an uncanny resemblance in imagery, sentence structure, and paragraph organization between Opal Mehta and all the other books. Shame on her! Although if i decided to write a book it is inevitable that some wise and wonderful words lurking in my sub-conscience written by others who i have since forgotten would creep in. And I would think such words were my own and born out of the workings of my own mind. My book would not be able to stand up to the scrutiny Vishnawathan's book has been subjected too. Thus, I think her plagiarism was unintended and inadvertant.

Having read those examples myself, I disagree. While I understand that it is impossible to avoid the influence of other books one has read in the past, the similarities in structure, vocabulary and other details are too close to be accidental: "170 specialty shops"? The only way she could have remembered all those passages from other books would be if she had an exceptional (perhaps photographic) memory - and if that was the case, she would surely remember where those passages came from.

I had some sympathy for the girl until I saw the extent to which her book resembled others, and I think that the accusation of plagiarism in her case is well founded. It's clear that this is the view taken by Harvard, and I think that they are justified in asking her to leave - what she did was dishonest and unethical, even though her book had nothing to do with her studies.

What I don't understand is why a clearly intelligent person would have run the risk of plagiarism in the first place, especially in a book which would inevitably be subjected to far more scrutiny than an undergraduate essay. Silly girl.
Reply 54
Manatee i now after having read the article and not under the influence of drink i have to concur that what she did was shamelessly blatant and i don't know what got into me to conclude otherwise.
Reply 55
Epicurus
Manatee i now after having read the article and not under the influence of drink i have to concur that what she did was shamelessly blatant and i don't know what got into me to conclude otherwise.

Don't worry, alcohol can have that effect... Perhaps she wrote the book under the influence? :biggrin:
Reply 56
:rofl:

I love this bit:

We prohibit you from handing in these essays as your own . If you do, you will be breaching the copyright for this essay which will be held exclusively by Oxbridge Essays.

Of course, most professors at British universities have large classes and are far too busy to ever check whether your essay has been written by you or not they may even be too swamped to check whether the style of a given essay is really your own

That is such a cheeky sneaky hint!!!!
Reply 57
i think it's funny that it was set up by people who were unhappy with other essay writing sites . . .

"Oxbridge Essays began as an idea in 2003 when a group of Oxbridge graduates, disillusioned with the dire quality and reliability of the essay companies then in existence, began to consider a very different type of service."
I am embarrassed to say I used this site, with DISASTROUS results. I should have never used it in the first place however, I ran out of time and I didn't know what to do. These people almost cost me my degree, and still might have. Day after day they promised that everything was on track and I would have my order with enough time to go over it, edit it, make it my own. First it was a few hours late, then a day late, and finally two days late, while still assuring me everything was fine. I basically realised it was never happening, probably three days too late and attempted to turn at least SOMETHING in so I didn't get a zero and fail my degree.

I don't know how these people can take advantage, if I couldn't turn something in I would have had to redo this year and been unable to accept my job offer throwing me further into debt.

This is clearly MY fault, and I do not shirk away from the blame, my only aim in discussing this is to BEG BEG BEG people not to use this service. They promise you the world and almost cost me everything, on top of a 600 pound price tag. PLEASE listen to this warning, no matter how bad your timing may be, you need to find a different option because feeling helpless and putting your faith in a completely flawed and corrupt system is NOT THE WAY.

DO NOT USE THEM THEY ARE A SCAM

Furthermore, they never even gave me the work and seven days later I am still waiting for my refund. PLEASE PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE.
Reply 59
ooo my god

Latest

Trending

Trending