The Student Room Group

Duchess of Cambridge given brith

Scroll to see replies

Should we care?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Her Majesty can sod off. People died for my right to say that without being strung up. Better use it.

Don't worry MM, in terms of folklore and feudalism I am an outlaw like Robin Hood :yes: :tongue:

I didn't call teachers "sir" since it is a term that implies their betterment over me. So it is actually to do with privilege. Same reason why I didn't refer to my Professor at uni as Prof <insert name> or the other lecturers as Docter <insertname>. We were all on first name terms anyway. People have to earn my respect and vice versa, no one gets it automatically for some supposed social elevation.

I am very pedantic but it makes me feel better since I hate this stuff and I am doing something in my own small rather insignificant way to fight it.

I agreed with all you said except the professor/doctor part. They worked extremely hard to EARN those titles, it's completely different to being born into a royal title. Being a Prof. is nothing to do with being socially privileged or people thinking they are better than you and deserve your respect :s-smilie:

Also for everyone who thinks it's stupid to care: why not celebrate some good news? Yes it's only pregnancy and birth, and millions of women around the world will be going through the same thing today. But why not be happy that at least one birth went well and the baby and mother are healthy and happy? So much negativity..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by okuyombenya
Should we care?

no

I am pretending to care
Reply 63
Original post by King Boo
News: Woman gives birth after 9 months of pregnancy. What will the name be?! When we will see them?!

In other news : Election in a few days, thousands dead in Nepal with who knows how many still to be rescued, Ebola's still about, and evidently no other migrants have tried to cross the med. But you know, a woman and her sprog is significantly more important.

ebola will always be around jfc it's significant that we have a fourth heir to the throne coming in to the world. the reports and coverage are a little obsessive but it's what a lot of people want to see. As for the earthquake, that's been reported non stop all week. I despise the monarchy but this hype will all die down come Monday.
On behalf of the TSR Monarchist Society ( founded by his Grace the Duke of Birkenhead of that Ilk ) bear™ The Queen's Champion offers warmest congratulations to the Royal Family on the occasion of the birth of the Royal Baby.

God Save the Queen
Was all over my stupid facebook as well

All universities tend to not use the formal title of Dr or prof in department as in 99% of unis you need a PhD anyway in order to be a lecturer and it just gets plain tedious but smaller dept's keep to first name terms between staff and students

however if talking about say, your personal tutor, and introducing them to your parents, it is only polite to use their formal title first "this is Dr smith. John is my personal tutor"

being polite is not grovelling. It is showing respect either for the person, or the position that they hold. For all I care you can hi-five the chairmN of the company at your next interviews and call him "bruv"

i have no time for the royals and wish any kid the best of luck but somehow feel that my modest blessings won't have much impact on a bunch of over privileged out of touch. People.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Yeah, because people don't get excited about other people doing things, such as footballers kicking a ball around, who don't have any awareness of their existence.

This is one of the reasons I no longer watch football, emotional investment in something I have no control over is foolish.

This said, footballers do bring joy to millions of people and they are in the position they are because of hard work and natural talent, rather than because their great, great, great...great granddad massacred everyone who didn't agree with him.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's demeaning. I really don't understand it. It's as if people acknowledge they are better than them.

Like if I was old to bow for the Queen... there is no way in hell I am doing that for no one. I refused to call my teachers 'Sir' at school for similar reasons. :tongue: I was even their name or Mr.

Anyone think this could help tip it for the conservatives? Are all labour peeps going to be interrogated for their patriotic credentials? To weed out any treasonous Marxists.

I agree with this, I genuinely felt that school did attempt to enforce a culture of submission upon the students, calling the staff 'sir'/'miss', having to ask for permission to use the washroom, having to sign out to leave the premisis, even during breaks and worst of all, compulsory religious services. You would not accept half this stuff in the adult world.

Original post by Maid Marian
Have some respect for Her Majesty, that's just uncouth.

Based on your opinions, it really is of no surprise you are voting UKIP

You should respect people based on their personal achievements or because of the good they bring to the world, not because of an arbitrary title which represents the oppression of millions of people across the globe.

Original post by Dinaa
PRSOM :smile:

Glad you agree :wink:
Reply 68
All hail our new unelected benefit scrounging overlord
Original post by caitb97
ebola will always be around jfc it's significant that we have a fourth heir to the throne coming in to the world. the reports and coverage are a little obsessive but it's what a lot of people want to see. As for the earthquake, that's been reported non stop all week. I despise the monarchy but this hype will all die down come Monday.

I think the whole thing is ludicrous. She'll walk out of that hospital and then she'll smile, wave for 10 seconds, then get in the car and be driven back the her palace.

Then we'll all be subject to the impact on what the kid is gonna do, how she's gonna change the world by being the first girl to not be superseded by a male, blah blah blah.

Then it will all kick off again with the name. Urgh.
Original post by the bear
On behalf of the TSR Monarchist Society ( founded by his Grace the Duke of Birkenhead of that Ilk ) bear™ The Queen's Champion offers warmest congratulations to the Royal Family on the occasion of the birth of the Royal Baby.

God Save the Queen

Heaaaaarrrrr...though I must point out I am but a lowly Earl, and the first of them at even that...

As far as the traitors in this thread go, off with their heads avatars
Original post by Reue
All hail our new unelected benefit scrounging overlord

Like so many others, you need to properly educate yourself on why we pay the monarchy an annual sum, what we get in return, and what the financial implications for us are as far as the present arragement is concerned.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one

I agree with this, I genuinely felt that school did attempt to enforce a culture of submission upon the students, calling the staff 'sir'/'miss', having to ask for permission to use the washroom, having to sign out to leave the premisis, even during breaks and worst of all, compulsory religious services. You would not accept half this stuff in the adult world.

You should respect people based on their personal achievements or because of the good they bring to the world, not because of an arbitrary title which represents the oppression of millions of people across the globe.

Glad you agree as I was worried I was being stupid the way people reacted to that :tongue:

I agree with that last paragraph. O also apply that to royals. Dianne going out of her way to say touch Aids victims when there was a lot of paranoia around it was respectable. People in positions of privilege who use that privilege to try and make the world better do gain my respect. Even if I still oppose their privilege.
Reply 73
The last little cretin stole the limelight on my birthday, so I'm thankful that at least the new one hasn't had any bearing upon me.
Reply 74
All I have to say on the matter is congratulations to both Kate and Will - may your beautiful girl be blessed and live a good, strong life.

I happen to appreciate the royal family. If you don't like them or understand the many benefits they bring to this country, you're more than welcome to go and learn about it (and them) before you start to slag them off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Birkenhead
Like so many others, you need to properly educate yourself on why we pay the monarchy an annual sum, what we get in return, and what the financial implications for us are as far as the present arragement is concerned.

I assure you; I've done my research.
Reply 76
Original post by Kiytt
The last little cretin stole the limelight on my birthday, so I'm thankful that at least the new one hasn't had any bearing upon me.

Well happy birthday Kiytt xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
I assure you; I've done my research.

Then you have either been misinformed or you haven't done enough. A single YouTube video from Republic will put you firmly into both camps.
Wow a White woman gives birth to a White baby. A rarity these days.
Reply 79
Original post by Birkenhead
Then you have either been misinformed or you haven't done enough. A single YouTube video from Republic will probably fall into both of these camps.

Perhaps my interpretation of such research is different to yours? Does not make me mis or under-informed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending