The Student Room Group

Do you feel like your exam grades are correct?

I saw this opinion piece this morning and it sort of confirms a suspicion of mine - exams are marked in a such a rush that many mistakes are made, and so the grades can't always be highly correct/accurate.

Do you feel as if your exams were marked correctly? Have you ever applied for a remark?

I've had exams where I think the examiner were actually being over generous - but of course I can't complain :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

All my bad results must definitely have been marked incorrectly.
I was actually just thinking about this. My grade I received for history (AQA) yesterday seems inconsistent with how I've been doing throughout the year. I got a D in one unit (a C overall) and I'm not convinced that it's been marked properly. It doesn't matter to me, as I'm dropping this subject anyway, but it doesn't give me much faith in the marking system. It could be the case that I've made a massive error without realising it, but I doubt it.
(edited 8 years ago)
In one of my exams I did really badly as I was ill and I didn't expected to get anything above C, but ended up with mid B. Moreover, In the second exam for the same subject I have expected full marks, as I have literally memorised and applied the mark scheme, therefore collecting all the marks possible, but ended up with mid B again (marks for both of these exams are perfectly aligned between an A and B boundaries). I will make a request to see the photocopy of my paper and then decide about the remark.
i was surprised when i got an A* in Biology
Can you ask for the remark of the one module only, or they mark both of the papers?
Original post by 0123456543210
Can you ask for the remark of the one module only, or they mark both of the papers?

Yes, you can remark a single module.
I got a A and a B in the 2 Bio Modules , and then a U in another? Makes no sense.
Reply 8
I got an C in Drama, most of my drama class, who expected mediocre grades in the writing module, were devastated with their D's and E's, knowing their performances and workshops were all A Grade. Something that's intrinsically, therefore subconsciously marred by personal taste, preferences or even prejudice in terms of genre is hard to judge objectively. I really have no faith in the open mindedness of the exam boards we have. It's all too prescriptive and formulaic, even in the arts. And that's what I plan to be like in A2. I hate it but I need the grades. We all want remarks.
I think some of my biology and physics exams were marked wrongly but they're both quite close to a lower grade boundary so I don't want to risk a remark. :/
Reply 10
Yeah I think I'm going to request a remark too for one module in physics, I got A A C in the three modules and I think that's quite a large gap... especially considering it was the easier module I got a C in...
I got a U in one paper for health and social care... but a B overall!! thank goodness for coursework!!!
Reply 12
Yeah I'm really annoyed at WJEC at the moment, In Applied ICT we did 2 pieces of coursework and 2 exams. I got a B in one coursework which is also what my teacher gave me. But on the other I got a flipping E, my other teacher gave me B in that one too. So my overall grade was a C when I could have easily got a B.
Reply 13
Does anyone know how long i can wait to ask for a remark?
Reply 14

So I've done AS levels twice and failed or not done up to my standard which has been quite disheartening. im 18 now and i really want to go to university to greater my skills, come out with a decent degree, make my parents a little proud and myself and just for the experience!!

I'm thinking about doing BTEC Business Level 3 extended course which is 2 years (which is meant to be equivalent to 3 A levels but many ppl argue this) and then to also do A Level Maths with it because i honestly do enjoy it and prepared to put the work in to get all Distinctions and hopefully a grade A or B in maths. Do you think its a good idea to do both bare in mind ive already done AS maths and got a high D as it would maybe make me more attractive to uni's. i want to do a business and management degree maybe at Nottingham University or go somewhere like Sheffield im not looking to get into amazing uni's but nor do i wanna go to just any meh uni if that makes sense. Advice?

should i do BTEC business level 3 with A level Maths or should i do a foundation Degree or any other suggestions. i was also thinking about AAT qualifications for accountancy as a backup???

For my first year Maths exams, I felt like some should have been higher, and others lower, so swings and roundabouts for me :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by pauux

I think you should ask your exam department on the day you go back. Just to be sure.
AQA Psychology has completely and utterly let me and everyone else barr one person in my class down. We were all achieving A's and B's throughout the year in mocks and within class. We all worked extremely hard and all thought the psychology exams were the ones we felt most confident in after sitting them. A friend of mine was looking to apply or Oxford but achieved a D in this course, shockingly. I am utterly disappointed with AQA as everyone feels let down, not only from my sixth form but also from others i have talked to around the country. I am thoroughly disappointed with my grade and feel as though it was marked incorrectly as i felt as though i had aced them. I'm sure most of the people in my class will be sending off for remarks
Original post by pauux

deadline is september 17th, i saw someone say the 20th of sept for them. just check
I feel as if my exam grades aren't correct but I got into my University so I'm happy. I would love to however have some of my papers remarked and see what I may have got lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending