The Student Room Group

Reue's Pension FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
You're going to hold say £200k in physical gold? Be serious James :rolleyes:

it would be 200k in 50 years or about or about 20k now
Reply 41
Original post by Rabbit2
Well, yes. The problem is, that the "official" inflation numbers are bogus. Pick any "real" index you want - wheat, corn, soybeans, steel, baked bread, anything!!! The "official" inflation rate here is 3% or something. Horsefeathers!! At the same time, i see oranges in the supermarket (same brand, btw), being "repackaged" [to raise the price]. Original package 23 naval oranges for $3.80. New package: 15 of them (same size), for..... $3.75. The "inflation minders" will say - OH!! the price has gone DOWN!!! Foolishness. Compare commodity prices over that period, and you'll see a wide discrepancy between "official" inflation and "actual" inflation. Now the thieves in the legislature, insist that you pay tax on the uninflated price. As an example, you buy a stock for $100, and sell it 20 yrs later for $200. The tax mavins insist you made $100 "profit". In reality, on this side of the pond, the criteria has been "double every 10" (until lately - i'ts more now). You have to do that just to "stay even" with inflation. So holding the stock for 10 yrs, you should have something worth $200. After another 10 yrs, should be $400. Instead, it's worth $200. You have a $200 loss! Instead, they claim your "basis" is $100, so you owe tax on $100. Thieves!! Cheers.

How much was a car in 1975? Or a TV? Or a computer?

A big mac cost £0.45 in 1975. It's now £2.79 (approx). An increase of x6.

A litre of petrol was £0.16, now £1.10, an increase of x7

You don't buy an average share (stock) for £100 and it only be worth £200 20 years later. It's gone up much more than that... or are you ignoring the earlier illustration? Specifically a x23 increase in the FTSE since 1975.

Sorry, but I'm not entering into a US-based conspiracy theory "debate" that would discourage UK students from taking up their UK pension rights as a priority.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by jamesthehustler
i like the idea of holding my own sovereigns more if i need some urgent cash of to the pawn brokers to release some at any age

So you like the 20% buy/sell spread of them? I bought one last week but only because I eradicated the spread with ebay/paypal giving me £40 in free credit.
Reply 43
Original post by Rabbit2
Well, yes. The problem is, that the "official" inflation numbers are bogus. Pick any "real" index you want - wheat, corn, soybeans, steel, baked bread, anything!!! The "official" inflation rate here is 3% or something. Horsefeathers!! At the same time, i see oranges in the supermarket (same brand, btw), being "repackaged" [to raise the price]. Original package 23 naval oranges for $3.80. New package: 15 of them (same size), for..... $3.75. The "inflation minders" will say - OH!! the price has gone DOWN!!! Foolishness. Compare commodity prices over that period, and you'll see a wide discrepancy between "official" inflation and "actual" inflation. Now the thieves in the legislature, insist that you pay tax on the uninflated price. As an example, you buy a stock for $100, and sell it 20 yrs later for $200. The tax mavins insist you made $100 "profit". In reality, on this side of the pond, the criteria has been "double every 10" (until lately - i'ts more now). You have to do that just to "stay even" with inflation. So holding the stock for 10 yrs, you should have something worth $200. After another 10 yrs, should be $400. Instead, it's worth $200. You have a $200 loss! Instead, they claim your "basis" is $100, so you owe tax on $100. Thieves!! Cheers.

Don't you remember the years when the official inflation rate was 20%?
Reply 44
Original post by paul514
Invest in a pension and play the lottery game of will I get ripped off?, will the company go bust?......

Or invest it in some bricks and mortar

Posted from TSR Mobile

The builder came round today, my stone, brick and mortar has a river running through the cellar as the drains have blocked up. Hopefully wont't be too excrutionatingly costly :/
Original post by Reue
UK average house price in 1975 was £10,978. Current UK average house price is £195,733, giving a gain of £184,755 in 40 years.

The FTSE All-Share was at about £150 in 1975. £10,978 invested at this price would have bought 73 units. The current FTSE All-Share index is at £3,464 today, giving a value of 73 units at £252,872 which equates to a gain of £241,894 in 40 years

Have you not seen that house price inflation in the last 40 years well under performs a pension?

But my investment can't disappear in that time and it gains a rental income so major fail for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by paul514
But my investment can't disappear in that time and it gains a rental income so major fail for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which index has disappeared in that time?

And shares pay out dividends without the need to worry about all the million and one things which could go wrong from being a landlord. A far more reliable income than rental yield.

Which part would have been a major fail for me? In this situation I'd be £60k richer with assets far easier to sell and without any overheads to maintain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Reue
with assets far easier to sell and without any overheads to maintain.

Yep. Those are key benefits.

OP should try selling a house, including giving notice to existing tenants, sorting out legsls, etc, and receiving the settlement, in full, all within 3 working days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady
So you like the 20% buy/sell spread of them? I bought one last week but only because I eradicated the spread with ebay/paypal giving me £40 in free credit.

you went to ebay what was that £250 or more then that even
go to a bullion dealer i get 'em for £195 each even less in bulk orders
Original post by jneill
Yep. Those are key benefits.

OP should try selling a house, including giving notice to existing tenants, sorting out legsls, etc, and receiving the settlement, in full, all within 3 working days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if when your ready to sell the market is in a slump? :smile:

Plus let's be fair if your selling your house for retirement you will know months if not a year or two ahead of when you do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
Which index has disappeared in that time?

And shares pay out dividends without the need to worry about all the million and one things which could go wrong from being a landlord. A far more reliable income than rental yield.

Which part would have been a major fail for me? In this situation I'd be £60k richer with assets far easier to sell and without any overheads to maintain.

And the average dividend is? We all know what the rental income is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by paul514
What if when your ready to sell the market is in a slump? :smile:

Plus let's be fair if your selling your house for retirement you will know months if not a year or two ahead of when you do it

Same could happen to property.

At least with FTSE listed shares you will ALWAYS find a willing buyer. Try selling a property in a falling market...

Although, yes, as you approach retirement you may want to move some/all from shares to gilts or similar.
Reply 52
Original post by paul514

Average FTSE dividend yield is 4%

Average UK rental yield is 6% - but you need to deduct expenses (maintenance & repairs, agents fees, vacant periods, etc etc)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by jamesthehustler
you went to ebay what was that £250 or more then that even
go to a bullion dealer i get 'em for £195 each even less in bulk orders

£245 delivered was the buy it now, so it'll be £203 after discounts.

Does your dealer provide proof quality in original case with Royal Mint COA?
I'm guessing yours are pretty well circulated?

How'd you sell them back and at what price?
Reply 54
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

4%. Net rental yield being pretty much the exact same only with a lot more effort and risk involved.

But please, answer my questions before trying to derail the discussion again:

- Why can't you see that Stock market investments have grown larger than house values have in the past 40 years?
- Which indexes have disappeared in that time?

If you want to invest in property instead of a pension; by all means go ahead and make that decision... just don't try and throw out a load of false and misleading statements to try and encourage others to make the same mistake.
Original post by Reue
4%. Net rental yield being pretty much the exact same only with a lot more effort and risk involved.

But please, answer my questions before trying to derail the discussion again:

- Why can't you see that Stock market investments have grown larger than house values have in the past 40 years?
- Which indexes have disappeared in that time?

If you want to invest in property instead of a pension; by all means go ahead and make that decision... just don't try and throw out a load of false and misleading statements to try and encourage others to make the same mistake.

It's not a mistake for a start your average is for the whole uk not for property hotspots like London, it's fairly easy to get higher than a 6% yield the costs are pretty none existent especially if you do things like repainting yourself every ten years. Landlord insurance covers everything else and doesn't cost much more than regular insurance aka not much as all you can sell without any penalties unlike a pension.

You can get all your money in one go without penalties unlike a pension. The investment can't just disappear like some pensions do

You're leading them down the wrong road and many old people will say time and again I wish I invested in property not a pension!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by paul514
It's not a mistake for a start your average is for the whole uk not for property hotspots like London, it's fairly easy to get higher than a 6% yield the costs are pretty none existent especially if you do things like repainting yourself every ten years. Landlord insurance covers everything else and doesn't cost much more than regular insurance aka not much as all you can sell without any penalties unlike a pension.

You can get all your money in one go without penalties unlike a pension. The investment can't just disappear like some pensions do

You're leading them down the wrong road and many old people will say time and again I wish I invested in property not a pension!

Yields on average are lower in London because prices are higher. Of course there are hotspots but that's exactly what they - spots - and the spots flare up and die from year to year. Risky...

http://www.londonpropertywatch.co.uk/average_rental_yield.html
Reply 57
Original post by paul514
It's not a mistake for a start your average is for the whole uk not for property hotspots like London

Reply 58
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread is meant for information and questions, not a debate. If you wish to promote property investment with valid figures and projections please feel free to create a new thread on it.
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

The value of your property certainly can fall in that time. Currently property prices are kept artificially high due to the restrictions placed on the provision of new homes. If the market was opened up, enabling existing brownfield sites and new greenfield sites to be developed, the price of your property would fall. Supply and demand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending