The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

Just a quick question?
Please rank the following in order of what is most competitive for applying for econ?

1. A2: Maths A*, further A* , econ A/A* AS: french A

2. A2: Maths- A*, further A*, econ A/A* french B

3. A2 maths a*, further a*, econ A/A* AS: French A, Additional further (done in yr 13) A

Debating whether to continue with French in yr 13, drop it completely or possibly drop it and do an independent additional further maths AS
Original post by theworkkid
Hey,

Just a quick question?
Please rank the following in order of what is most competitive for applying for econ?

1. A2: Maths A*, further A* , econ A/A* AS: french A

2. A2: Maths- A*, further A*, econ A/A* french B

3. A2 maths a*, further a*, econ A/A* AS: French A, Additional further (done in yr 13) A

Debating whether to continue with French in yr 13, drop it completely or possibly drop it and do an independent additional further maths AS

They all exceed the offer and are all fine. Assuming that you are applying in Year 13, you won't have your results so none of these are relevant. it's fine to drop French if you want to, we won't mind and it is also fine to take add further maths though you do not need this for Economics - you do not need more than Maths A Level, doing well in FM helps demonstrate your strengths in Maths, it isn't necessary for content.
Hi!

I made an open application from India and asked for an interview at Singapore. Unfortunately, I received an email today from the Cambridge Colleges’ Overseas Applications Centre saying that I cannot be offered an overseas interview.

Now, in my COPA, there was the following question:

"If you are selected for interview but it is not possible to interview you outside the UK, would you be able to come to Cambridge for interview, normally in November/December?"

To this question, I answered "No", because my parents thought that it would be financially uncomfortable to go the the UK from India for just one interview; Singapore was much more viable. However, now that I cannot be interviewed in Singapore, we have agreed that I can go to Cambridge if I'm offered an interview there. So,

If I can change my answer to that question in the COPA, how do I do it?

Is there still a realistic chance of me getting an offer eventually? Rather, will I now be treated on an equal footing with overseas applicants applying for an interview in Cambridge?

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Duke Glacia
Hello ! I have a question on COPA. If you are self studying a subject what should be entered for the class size ?

You should put N/A in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
Does Cambridge have a general policy on re-applicants?
I was pooled and then rejected last year and was wondering if it would be wise to re-apply to the same college.
Would my application this year be dismissed immediately or does it differ from college to college?
Also, I have only just found out about interview/application feedback - is now too late to ask about last years application process feedback?
Thanks
Original post by jneill
It's usually best to apply to a different college - especially if your original college pooled you. And yes it's too late to get feedback.

Thanks for your input.
Could you explain why that is?
My logic was that if they pooled you, they thought you were good enough but didn't have enough places that year.
Original post by MajorRisk
Thanks for your input.
Could you explain why that is?
My logic was that if they pooled you, they thought you were good enough but didn't have enough places that year.

(Oops - sorry - didn't notice this question was in the CAT's thread... :getmecoat:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TehGloriousPanda
Hi!

I made an open application from India and asked for an interview at Singapore. Unfortunately, I received an email today from the Cambridge Colleges’ Overseas Applications Centre saying that I cannot be offered an overseas interview.

Now, in my COPA, there was the following question:

"If you are selected for interview but it is not possible to interview you outside the UK, would you be able to come to Cambridge for interview, normally in November/December?"

To this question, I answered "No", because my parents thought that it would be financially uncomfortable to go the the UK from India for just one interview; Singapore was much more viable. However, now that I cannot be interviewed in Singapore, we have agreed that I can go to Cambridge if I'm offered an interview there. So,

If I can change my answer to that question in the COPA, how do I do it?

Is there still a realistic chance of me getting an offer eventually? Rather, will I now be treated on an equal footing with overseas applicants applying for an interview in Cambridge?

Hello and I am sorry to hear that you have not been selected for interview in Singapore. You can indicate that you want to be considered for application in Cambridge by emailing [email protected] and they can keep that info on file and send it to the college you are eventually assigned to after 15 October. Once you know which college that is, it might be worth emailing them to confirm this.

The college who receives your application will assess your application as they would any other. There is a decent chance, however, that given your deselection for interview in Singapore that the college may come to a similar conclusion having reviewed your file themselves. Obviously, without seeing your file, I couldn't comment further.
Hello again, I just got my interview invite - and I just saw that you had mentioned international applicants with 8/10 would be pooled for sure. Is this applicable for all colleges? And do you have any tips for an English interview, haha, so sorry but nobody in my college has much advice for humanities?

THANK YOU for answering ALL my lame questions so far, I'm really grateful (info is hard to come by here, the only Oxbridge applicants in my school are for Med/Engineering HAHAHA).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MajorRisk
Hello,
Does Cambridge have a general policy on re-applicants?
I was pooled and then rejected last year and was wondering if it would be wise to re-apply to the same college.
Would my application this year be dismissed immediately or does it differ from college to college?
Also, I have only just found out about interview/application feedback - is now too late to ask about last years application process feedback?
Thanks

We are very happy to accept re-applicants and plenty of people get offers each year who had applied previously.

We usually advise students to apply to a different college but this is more for their benefit as they often feel more comfortable with an entirely fresh start, even though we destroy all the data on their previous application - the only thing that will appear on your file is that you applied last year, not which college or anything else.

This is not a prohibition on applying to the same college and some students feel very strongly about particular colleges and want to try again - this is fine and the college will treat your application afresh.

It is too late to ask for feedback I think. Some colleges have a definite date after which they will not accept requests but the bigger problem is that your data will almost certainly have been destroyed now. We sent all our unsuccessful application files from the 2014-15 round to the shredder last week.

I hope that is helpful and wish you the best of luck in your reapplication.
Original post by Jayd Shah
Hello again, I just got my interview invite - and I just saw that you had mentioned international applicants with 8/10 would be pooled for sure. Is this applicable for all colleges? And do you have any tips for an English interview, haha, so sorry but nobody in my college has much advice for humanities?

Congratulations. Yes, it is a university-wide policy on compulsory pooling - all compulsory pooling criteria apply to all colleges.

The best advice for English is to think critically and not emotionally - all interpretations are not valid if they are not based on a firm and rigorous analysis of the text. If you are given prompt material, a poem for instance, make sure that your response is based on the text and refer to it.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Congratulations. Yes, it is a university-wide policy on compulsory pooling - all compulsory pooling criteria apply to all colleges.

The best advice for English is to think critically and not emotionally - all interpretations are not valid if they are not based on a firm and rigorous analysis of the text. If you are given prompt material, a poem for instance, make sure that your response is based on the text and refer to it.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank u so much, I'm really grateful to you :-)
Original post by Jayd Shah
Thank u so much, I'm really grateful to you :-)

No problem at all, you are very welcome! :smile:
You should put N/A in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Page 34 of the COPA guide says to enter a class size of 1, I've already done this - should I now enter N/A if I'm self-teaching it?

On a side note, the Data protectiction, fee status and UMS form thingy that we have to send by post - what should I tick under the nationality bit. I don't currently have a visa (and don't need one for the interview, but do for studying for a long period of time) so should I tick the "none of the above" box?

Thank you so much, once again! :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Page 34 of the COPA guide says to enter a class size of 1, I've already done this - should I now enter N/A if I'm self-teaching it?

On a side note, the Data protectiction, fee status and UMS form thingy that we have to send by post - what should I tick under the nationality bit. I don't currently have a visa (and don't need one for the interview, but do for studying for a long period of time) so should I tick the "none of the above" box?

Thank you so much, once again! :smile:

Yes, this has been brought to my attention on the other thread - as I said there, I don't think it's a major thing but if the guide says, say '1' then do that.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Nationality box. On the fee status assessment questionnaire, you have to write your nationality/ies in not tick a box.
Hello and I am sorry to hear that you have not been selected for interview in Singapore. You can indicate that you want to be considered for application in Cambridge by emailing [email protected] and they can keep that info on file and send it to the college you are eventually assigned to after 15 October. Once you know which college that is, it might be worth emailing them to confirm this.

The college who receives your application will assess your application as they would any other. There is a decent chance, however, that given your deselection for interview in Singapore that the college may come to a similar conclusion having reviewed your file themselves. Obviously, without seeing your file, I couldn't comment further.

At the risk of seeming arrogant, I'll tell you my grades at school to give you an idea for why I'm so shocked. Converting Indian grades to the UK system (>90 = A*, >80 = A),

GCSE: All A*s
AS level: A* A* A* A A

I realise that grades are only part of the admissions process, but believe me, I cannot think of any reason why I was not even offered an interview! I'm sorry if this seems to be a big rant, but I really am confused.

At any rate, thank you so much for the information. I have written to the admissions office about getting an interview in Cambridge.
Yes, this has been brought to my attention on the other thread - as I said there, I don't think it's a major thing but if the guide says, say '1' then do that.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Nationality box. On the fee status assessment questionnaire, you have to write your nationality/ies in not tick a box.

The box that's labelled "Please tick one, and give dates as requested" then it has "British Citizen or Commonwealth national with Right of Abode" and "indefine leave to enter/remain in the UK." etc...

There's one where it says "Time limit on stay in the UK" and they ask for dates of visa issue, etc... which I don't have (and don't need for the interview) - so should I tick the "None of the above" box? :smile:
Hello again all. Before term starts at Cambridge next week, I am running a short version of my 'Ask an Admissions Tutor' threads this week in advance of the application deadline of 15 October. Please post your questions about applications to Cambridge below and I will answer them as soon as possible.

This may sound like a silly question (and it probably is) but I'm just 4'11 in height and (assuming I'd get into Cambridge) I'd be 20 when I start at Cambridge. I've been bullied badly because of my height throughout middle school and the first year of high school I did, soon before I was taken out of school to be homeschooled. So I'm genuinely interested in knowing how much of a problem this will be at university?
What criteria does automatic pooling take into account and does it include those who are taking international qualifications?
Original post by TehGloriousPanda
At the risk of seeming arrogant, I'll tell you my grades at school to give you an idea for why I'm so shocked. Converting Indian grades to the UK system (>90 = A*, >80 = A),

GCSE: All A*s
AS level: A* A* A* A A

I realise that grades are only part of the admissions process, but believe me, I cannot think of any reason why I was not even offered an interview! I'm sorry if this seems to be a big rant, but I really am confused.

At any rate, thank you so much for the information. I have written to the admissions office about getting an interview in Cambridge.

I am afraid it isn't as simple as just reading across from one examination system to another. If your college, once it has been assigned, decides not to interview you then you can ask them for feedback on why they did this.

Good luck and I am glad that you have asked the admissions office about changing the interview location.

Latest

Trending

Trending