The Student Room Group

Would you drop out of your degree if you could earn £100k / year?

If you could earn £100k per year working from home, but it would mean dropping out of your degree, would you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Degree -> money
money-> degree
Reply 2
Original post by zigglr
If you could earn £100k per year working from home, but it would mean dropping out of your degree, would you do it?

No way, if I had a degree I could potentially get a higher paying job, besides you haven't specified the job :P
Reply 3
I'm paying a ****-ton for uni because I want an education. I'm not going to give that up for money. :-)
Original post by zigglr

Depends what the job was. But I probably would.
Reply 5
Original post by zigglr

Why not. Take the job, and earn the 100k a year. Then get yourself an OU degree in your spare time.
Now im in my third year, no, because im so close to finishing. In previous yes yes i probably would have, depending on the job.
Original post by Zacken
I'm paying a ****-ton for uni because I want an education. I'm not going to give that up for money. :-)

What? So you're doing it just for the heck of it. I think any sane person would give up a £100K job to indebt themselves to the tune of £40K+ just because they wanted to learn. Somebody like that just sounds stupid and a total chump
Yessss
Reply 9
Depends on the job.

Realistically, you go to uni to allow you to work in a better job than you would otherwise.
If you could skip that step for a salary far above what most grads earn, who wouldn't?
Yessss any day, any time.
LMAO i am dying at people saying no. Yes, you would.
yes without even thinking.
Depends on the growth prospects, the skills I'd learn and the transferability of the role.

Personally, I'd rather go to a good uni and enter into a field that will accelerate my income, rather than sit at home doing some BS job like internet marketing.

Not to mention my degree will be a nice safety net if I wanted to switch gears.
Reply 14
Original post by marco14196
What? So you're doing it just for the heck of it. I think any sane person would give up a £100K job to indebt themselves to the tune of £40K+ just because they wanted to learn. Somebody like that just sounds stupid and a total chump

Maths degree -> investment banking -> more than 100k.

You're the chump.
Original post by Zacken
Maths degree -> investment banking -> more than 100k.

You're the chump.

Clap clap. Tell me the odds of you getting that investment banking job. Tell me the chances of you not hating being treat like vermin and disposable trash by an IB firm. Tell me how you'll make partner in 5 years. I laugh. I laugh. I laugh. This situation is between a guaranteed 100K job and the small chance of a better paying job. This post was silly anyway because the 100K job isn't guaranteed to last forever anyway. But still, in some magical lala land, this seems like the better choice going off of the odds.
I'd personally rather set up a business that wasn't based in my home but thats outside the confines of the debate.
Take the £100k then a few years later do my degree.
Thats my personal target wage when Im done college (Job im trying to get has an average wage of ~$85,000USD once qualified, more for senior positions and exported talent). So yeah provided the job isnt depressing as **** id drop out if I could earn that.
Reply 19
Hell yeah I would.

45k debt
Degree that probably won't even get you a job

Or 100k job

Ummmmm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending