The Student Room Group

Doesn't make sense to me for a black person to be christian

I know what you may be thinking, racist or something but thats not the case, hear me out
I discussed with my friend saying that "it doesn't make sense for a black person to be a christian because of the slave trade in general, the slave masters who were white treated the black slaves like they were worthless to the extent that they forced their religion down their throats, so fundamentally it doesn't make sense for black people to follow a religious faction that essentially enslaved them"
I mean no offence to anyone but just think about it, food for thought

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zubair1997
I know what you may be thinking, racist or something but thats not the case, hear me out
I discussed with my friend saying that "it doesn't make sense for a black person to be a christian because of the slave trade in general, the slave masters who were white treated the black slaves like they were worthless to the extent that they forced their religion down their throats, so fundamentally it doesn't make sense for black people to follow a religious faction that essentially enslaved them"

im not black so I dont know what it feels like to be a black person however from their point of view id imagine theyd have the belief that god didnt create and proliferate the slave trade, humans did.

Nah dw m8, I thought about it. I just thought it was *******s
Reply 3
Original post by BlueReptiles
im not black so I dont know what it feels like to be a black person however from their point of view id imagine theyd have the belief that god didnt create and proliferate the slave trade, humans did.

Okay i understand that but i have to remind you, majority of the black people are christians cos religion was passed through their ancestors who were slaves, if they were not slaves, majority wouldn't be Christians
Reply 4
I'm black and couldn't agree anymore it's upsetting to see black Christians
Not all black people were slaves?

Why should white people be Christian? This thing started in the Middle East, after all

In that regard

it doesn't make sense for anyone except white people to be Catholic either, which I do think about sometimes considering the brutality that has often come with imperialism and religious imposition.

However, Christianity is a greatly Middle Eastern religion and the first gospels or words of Christianity were spoken in Aramaic which is an African language :erm: Consider the Copts.
Original post by Vicky628

Why should white people be Christian? This thing started in the Middle East, after all

Yes!
Reply 8
Original post by Vicky628

Slave masters were white, 99% of white people during the slave trade followed Christianity, simple equation
Slave masters were white, 99% of white people during the slave trade followed Christianity, simple equation

Not good enough. Like I said, Christianity was firstly an ethnic religion.

So what are you prescribing? Islam for blacks?

Islam didn't treat them any better.
Reply 10
Arab slavemasters used to:

1) Take black women slaves as concubines.
2) Neuter black men slaves and use them as cannon fodder.

Compared to that, the US slave trade seems like a holiday.
Reply 11

Blacks were sold into slavery mostly by their own black rulers, and by Arab slave traders.

The Atlantic and North American part of the ordeal was probably the nicest. If you asked an African slave in Africa or Arabia whether he would want to go to the USA, he would most likely say yes.
Reply 12
Original post by Maggie_O
Not good enough. Like I said, Christianity was firstly an ethnic religion.

So what are you prescribing? Islam for blacks?

Islam didn't treat them any better.

Give me a quote from any Hadith or part of the Quran that backs your statement up, im discussing what actually happened in history
Give me a quote from any Hadith or part of the Quran that backs your statement up, im discussing what actually happened in history

AHA! So you are prescribing Islam. Oh no let's not do this as well then, the whole copying and pasting of google text that states explicit racism towards blacks. The mere fact you asked me to do this shows you are deflecting, which is a sign of guilt :u:

But I'll play along and say the Islamic slave trade and that abd means slaves but it used to refer to blacks.

Good day, Mr. Missionary.
This is a troll. A bait thread about Islam. Not even an attempt at intellectual debate. He is just spouting crap.
Original post by 41b
Blacks were sold into slavery mostly by their own black rulers, and by Arab slave traders.

The Atlantic and North American part of the ordeal was probably the nicest. If you asked an African slave in Africa or Arabia whether he would want to go to the USA, he would most likely say yes.

:thumbsup:

I don't agree with volunteering to be a slave though. It was all cruel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_vIlp-300&ab_channel=SilexW
Christianity in Africa predates the Atlantic slave trade by about 1500 years.
Original post by 41b
Arab slavemasters used to:

1) Take black women slaves as concubines.
2) Neuter black men slaves and use them as cannon fodder.

Compared to that, the US slave trade seems like a holiday.

:eek:??
Original post by TurboCretin
Christianity in Africa predates the Atlantic slave trade by about 1500 years.

:lol: exactly! XD Maybe more...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending